SpaceWreck - Fallout inspired isometric retro indie RPG

Kamaz

It Wandered In From the Wastes

Hi! I am developing a west-coast-fallout inspired indie RPG. (Badum tsss!)
  • Role playing
  • Multiple solutions
  • Choice & Consequence
  • Optional but unlimited violence
  • Non-linear world
SW-right-click-menu-cycle.gif

Premise: the year is 2095 and you're newbie captain of passenger space shuttle stuck somewhere in the Asteroid belt which two decades ago experienced a tumultuous and destructive revolt by miners. This region, - now colloquially known as Junkspace due to the number of destroyed mining ships floating there - is abandoned, lawless anarchy where remnants of stranded space miners are fighting to survive on damaged, slowly aging derelict vessels with no chance to ever return back to Earth.

SW-wide-gif-targeting.gif

Oh, and your main quest is to find Fuel Chip to fix the ship and get you and your people - crew and passengers - safely home. Before pirates arrive. (Yes, because there are space pirates)

SW-computer-interface.gif

Steam page is our de facto homepage:

Development update - speech rolls in dialogues - 2/8/2020

Dialogues now show requirement tags for skill checks without exact number but ▲/▼ icon instead to indicate the difficulty. And there's also post-check animation to indicate that roll happened under the hood.

SW-speech-roll.gif

And, yes, previously almost all of the dialogues were skill gated (think New Vegas) but now I'm adding/changing to rolls in some places.

Oh, and I am aware that there is great shizm between players that want to see mechanics (skill check rolls) and those who want more of an immersion. So, you can turn this all off and looks like this:

SW-speech-roll-no-tags.gif

Of course, it would be better not to show them to avoid breaking the immersion however many players might just miss the idea that speech/skill affects your dialogue. Like, I loved Fallout 1 but I learned that it had speech checks only some time after I completed it first. New Vegas was great in this - it shows that there are tons of options to approach the quest. But it does make it all mechanical and metagamey in a while. But umm, thing is, I kind of like both approaches and some days prefer one over other, other days - vice versa.

Just curious - what's your take on this whole metagaming aspect, e.g. skill check indicators in dialogues?

This is a concept for screen what you get when travelling between various wrecks (de facto locations in Junkspace).

animationcockpit.gif

Oh, and btw, how many obscure games related references can you find in this GIF?

SW-cambot-shoots-ray.gif

While exploring Junkspace, you are likely to run into a cambot. Once a popular and cost-effective all-in-one security solution, they still guard company's property blissfully unaware of decades passed

It's so sad not many NMAers seemed to notice this incoming incline. Optimistically, they're waiting for full release, but the reality it seemed they're better off trashing Bethesda....

SW-multiple-choice.gif

Only one of the options gets you what you need, but all of them have skill-checks. Fail, and it may get you in trouble How to make the informed decision? Explore, gather information or use perception.

~ Thanks guys for showing the interest! I do realise market is full of good indie games so anyone showing attention to my project is worth a bucket of caps.

Thanks guys for showing the interest! I do realise market is full of good indie games so anyone showing attention to my project is worth a bucket of caps.

On the other hand I can't recall any recent or upcoming space RPGs aside from Space Wreck and Colony Ship, which should definitely draw some players.

Thanks for all the updates, keep the hard work. I'll be definitely buying.

On the other hand I can't recall any recent or upcoming space RPGs aside from Space Wreck and Colony Ship, which should definitely draw some players.

Thanks for all the updates, keep the hard work. I'll be definitely buying.
You, sir, are too kind! :salute:

Do you like mines in your RPG? I like mines.

Not the part where you step on one - that's just annoying. But I really like the creative tactical solutions they provide.

SW-place-a-mine.gif

You can place mines. Be careful though, once it is set it does not magically recognize you - it will detonate on anybody indiscriminately.

SW-fail-to-disarm-a-mine.gif

Mines can, of course, be disarmed. It is a SCITEC skill roll and if you fail. Well, you've got 2 seconds to get away

SW-succesfully-disarm-a-mine.gif

…but if you succeed, you can pick up disarmed mine for yourself and place it wherever you need it.

Silver lining if you step on one - they leave reusable parts behind, so not completely a waste of hp.

Well I put this on the news forum now so maybe it will get a little more attention.

Nothing major, just adjusted the tone, the colours for secondary DOS themed colour scheme. I think this nu blu is easier on the eyes.

new-blue-inventory.png

new-blue-dialogue.pngp

new-blu-gui.png

I also switched to a more readable font, I think. Previous one was cool but all-caps is probably not the best choice for reading lots of text. And we got lots of text 42k+ words of text as of now.

For the reference - this is how the DOS theme looked some time ago, with eye-burning blue and all-caps font:

DOS-theme.jpg

True. I am hoping they will, from the features mentionned, I don't see why not. Will be keeping a eye on Space Wreck.
Good luck on your work.

Back