Stupid question about dialogs

0wing

Все умрут, а я волномут
Now this one really hurts my brain. (and yes I know that brain can't feel pain in common sense)
If all dialogs are now just scenes with selection menu better known as 'dialog wheel', cannot the modder just script other type of scenes with better implemented, well, dialog system. Or reimplement the dialogs themselves through heavy scripting?
And please, speak up more constructive and to the point and without offensive methaphors. Not because of offensiveness but because I won't get it anyway.

Now this one really hurts my brain. (and yes I know that brain can't feel pain in common sense)
If all dialogs are now just scenes with selection menu better known as 'dialog wheel', cannot the modder just script other type of scenes with better implemented, well, dialog system. Or reimplement the dialogs themselves through heavy scripting?
And please, speak up more constructive and to the point and without offensive methaphors. Not because of offensiveness but because I won't get it anyway.

Bit late, but ...

... do you mean something like this one?

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1235/?
[Full Dialogue Interface]

Bit late, but ...

... do you mean something like this one?

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1235/?
[Full Dialogue Interface]
Not that. If I'm not mistaken, modders once take a look at the program/script/code (or something like that, I forgot what exactly did they mentioned), and it seems it was hard-coded (or something), resulting in the 'dialogue' system in Fallout 4 basically worked (or rather, flowed) with cut-scenes (or pseudo cut-scenes or whatever since dialogue conversation wasn't really cut-scenes... or is it? I don't know) to the point that they stated what basically sounds like, "It would be impossible to make quest mods", especially since the protagonist were voiced on top of that.

Basically what 0wing asked if there's a way for modders to work around the hard-code and scenes-locked dialogue conversations so modders can put in their own writings to make quests mods (correct me if I'm wrong).

Also, @Risewild would you kindly answer 0wing's question?

I can say what I know about it, but since I don't even have FO4 installed or tried the CK yet I can't go into detail (since I can't check it out myself).
So about Fallout 4 dialogue system:
  • It isn't accessible via the CK
  • Dialog in Fallout 4 is carried out in "scenes"
  • Each "scene" have a maximum of four options
  • Each response takes you to the next section of the "scene"
  • Dialogue can no longer branch
So the dialogue system is not available from the CK, seems to be hardcoded too (can't really confirm that myself). So unless a modder finds a way of making a more fluid (go above 4 options) dialogue system and then somehow force the game to use that system instead of the game's native one (which might be impossible without the actual game code which Bethesda would never release) I doubt we can use scripts to fix the dialogue.

I can try and research the dialogue a bit more in the next days and talk to some people about it too, but for now I would have to say that it is not possible with the information and tools already available to do anything about how the dialogue works on Fallout 4.

A Note: There is theoretically a way of having more than 4 options, which is using one of those options to lead to a new set of 4 options but if that is possible it will be clunky and use up two of the options for just (Show more options) and (Show previous options), which makes the first set of dialogue options have 3 dialogue ones and the rest have only 2 of them :shrug:.

Back