Synth Relations

DR_LaZer

Donacdum
OK, so we all know that in Fallout 4 everyone has their stupid and illogical thoughts on synths. The Brotherhood of Steel thinks they're an abomination that need to be exterminated because..... nature, I think.

The Institute thinks that they're nothing more than tools, no more worthy of respect than a Protectron.

And the Railroad says that Synths are people too and should stay people.

Now, what if we switch shit up a bit? Wouldn't it be better if The Institute thought that the synths were a people because they're the ones who made them and Shaun named himself Father as the Father of all the synths?!

And what if The BoS thought of the synths as just tools for them to collect like every other piece of tech they have?

And what if the Railroad were a buncha racist synth hating bastards who want to wipe them off the face of the planet? Wouldn't all of that make much more sense than what we have now?

Yes. But than again it is Bethesda and writing and as I mentioned many times, a hobo with a two week crash course on Fallout lore could write better then them. Or to rephrase:
Bethesda's idea of Synths, BOS = poop on the floor, RR = poop in the face and Insta-toot = poop in the mouth, would literally anything else be better? Yes.

But that would require the Institute to be the good guys and RR to be obvious evil, right? That's not what was planned...

OK, so we all know that in Fallout 4 everyone has their stupid and illogical thoughts on synths. The Brotherhood of Steel thinks they're an abomination that need to be exterminated because..... nature, I think.

The Institute thinks that they're nothing more than tools, no more worthy of respect than a Protectron.

And the Railroad says that Synths are people too and should stay people.

Now, what if we switch shit up a bit? Wouldn't it be better if The Institute thought that the synths were a people because they're the ones who made them and Shaun named himself Father as the Father of all the synths?!

And what if The BoS thought of the synths as just tools for them to collect like every other piece of tech they have?

And what if the Railroad were a buncha racist synth hating bastards who want to wipe them off the face of the planet? Wouldn't all of that make much more sense than what we have now?

Yup, it would make so much more sense. There could be conflicts within the Institute, with some people thinking of them more as tools and others as people. But considering the Institute made them, it's pretty weird that they're so hateful of them.

The original BoS from the west would have loved to get their hands on some synths.

And considering the common peoples' fear of synths, it wouldn't be far-fetched that a group got together with the objective to find and destroy them.

Bethesda could never pull this off, every faction needs to be as black or white as possible, else the player might get overwhelmed with brain waves.

As an aside I've never understood how the Railroad could even exist, surely wastelanders in the east have bigger worries on a daily basis to deal with. Between the endless Raider rape gangs, dirty water, super mutants, rad storms, disease, slavery, kidnappings...the list goes on...who gives a crap about the value of synthetic life in that climate?

This makes a whole lot more sense. Why would the Institute see synths as just tools when they're essentially creating human beings from scratch?

It's not like the synths are Working Joes from Alien Isolation.

Well, the Brotherhood of Steel is a bunch of racist pricks and they hate anything which is technology not under their control. Arthur Maxson is going to destroy the Synths because he is launching a crusade to justify the takeover of the Commonwealth. The problem is we don't get to see the dark side of this without the ending slides.

Something like:

After the Institute was destroyed, Arthur Maxson reluctantly--in his words--annexed the Commonwealth. He spent years purging the cities and countryside of Synths before moving on to Super Mutants, Ghouls, and Raiders. Some people objected to their new overlords and their taxes but all gradually came to acknowledge the Commonwealth was a safer more stable place. For humans, at least.

Of course, one thing I do find weird is how many players insist the Synths are just machines when the game goes out of its way to beat you over the head they're sentient slaves.

when the game goes out of its way to beat you over the head they're sentient slaves.

You have to ask you player, or viewer, what sentient means first. You can't just say it, you have to force the player to explore it as a concept, otherwise players will just use whatever definition they had going into the story.

You have to ask you player, or viewer, what sentient means first. You can't just say it, you have to force the player to explore it as a concept, otherwise players will just use whatever definition they had going into the story.

Yeah, it boiled down to. "Well, they're programmed to act like humans, they're not actually them."

And I'm like, "So how do you assume they'd prove they're sentient."

"They're not, they're machines."

Well, the Brotherhood of Steel is a bunch of racist pricks and they hate anything which is technology not under their control. Arthur Maxson is going to destroy the Synths because he is launching a crusade to justify the takeover of the Commonwealth. The problem is we don't get to see the dark side of this without the ending slides.

Something like:

After the Institute was destroyed, Arthur Maxson reluctantly--in his words--annexed the Commonwealth. He spent years purging the cities and countryside of Synths before moving on to Super Mutants, Ghouls, and Raiders. Some people objected to their new overlords and their taxes but all gradually came to acknowledge the Commonwealth was a safer more stable place. For humans, at least.

Of course, one thing I do find weird is how many players insist the Synths are just machines when the game goes out of its way to beat you over the head they're sentient slaves.

But WHYYYYYYYY!?!?!?! Why are the BoS racist pricks!? They were never racist before! It's the fuckin' Enclave who're racist! And even then, they're racist to everything that's not them! So why are the BoS racist!? For what reason!? They've never shown racist before, and it's poorly explained in this game with: "Synths are fucking icky man. They're gross, and made in a poop filled lab. Therefore, we must eliminate them all. Also we must kill those filthy mutants too. You know what, just kill everything to cleanse the Commonwealth!"

Did Bethesda forget that they're writing for the BoS and not The Enclave?

But WHYYYYYYYY!?!?!?! Why are the BoS racist pricks!? They were never racist before! It's the fuckin' Enclave who're racist! And even then, they're racist to everything that's not them! So why are the BoS racist!? For what reason!? They've never shown racist before, and it's poorly explained in this game with: "Synths are fucking icky man. They're gross, and made in a poop filled lab. Therefore, we must eliminate them all. Also we must kill those filthy mutants too. You know what, just kill everything to cleanse the Commonwealth!"

Well, they hated ghouls in F3 and shot at the ones from Necropolis just because they were icky. The Outcasts also hated outsiders too and considered them vermin.

They just recruit now too.

They did it because their 'fans' complained.
-Compliance and Submission Will Be Your Undoing
In Fallout 3 BOS were good, Enclave were bad. people complained, so they merged the two, now their both!

And it's AWESOME!

Seriously, does anyone actually dislike the Eastern BOS now?
I do! I hate them! They're stupid extremists who don't even have a reason aside from pure racism and don't even uphold what the Brotherhood actually set out to do! They aren't helping people, nor are they preserving tech, they're just killing things!

Say what you will about THE Enclave, but at least they properly explain themselves as seeing the rest of the word as-to them-infested with mutants and they need to purge it all to have a proper fresh start for humanity. And you can actually convince one of them that even if everyone is mutants, it's just another stage of evolution.

In 4 the BoS just think everything they want to kill is icky. And you can convince no one that any of them could be people. Most you get is having Maxson (whom I hate in 4 for ruining the great Maxson blood line, damn easterners) NOT kill Danse for MAYBE being a synth. I think it should've been at that point when Maxson thinks "Oh shit, synths are people too! I am so stupid to think that they were monsters who need to be exterminated for absolutely no reason because even if they are icky, synths themselves aren't really creating a problem. It's the Institute I should hate!" But no! He just goes back to wanting to kill all synths!

Yes they were actually better written as white knights in fo3 imo.

How do you figure?

For me, I think it makes the Lyons story more interesting as they tried to reform the organization but just ended up having the worst of their own inclinations changed to become fuel for Maxson's misunderstanding of their dream. Then again, I don't think they went far enough and wish Maxson had been the actual villain with the option to overthrow him.

Honestly, he has a lot more charisma and personality than Shaun.

How do you figure?

For me, I think it makes the Lyons story more interesting as they tried to reform the organization but just ended up having the worst of their own inclinations changed to become fuel for Maxson's misunderstanding of their dream. Then again, I don't think they went far enough and wish Maxson had been the actual villain with the option to overthrow him.

Honestly, he has a lot more charisma and personality than Shaun.

I just feel their motivation in fo3 makes sense. Well there motivation to help the people of the capital wasteland... (Well there motivation to fix the purifier seems nonexistent.)

I just feel their motivation in fo3 makes sense. Well there motivation to help the people of the capital wasteland... (Well there motivation to fix the purifier seems nonexistent.)

I admit, I am forgiving of the BOS' invasion of the Commonwealth because I assumed the Synth thing was a pretext for annexing it. Basically, Maxson is giving the Brotherhood an enemy to unite around because he's forming his legend.

If it wasn't Synths, it'd be something else.

I admit, I am forgiving of the BOS' invasion of the Commonwealth because I assumed the Synth thing was a pretext for annexing it. Basically, Maxson is giving the Brotherhood an enemy to unite around because he's forming his legend.

If it wasn't Synths, it'd be something else.
Theres not really anything in the game to support that.

Theres not really anything in the game to support that.

The missing content with Danse says the Institute is the threat rather than Synths.

Also, Maxson has never actually seen a Synth before.

He is literally attacking the Institute because he senses its technological level is so high and they picked up its nuclear reactor. They only discovered Synths later.

So yes, the BoS are just looking for a fight.

Back