T51b Fan art

Filthy696

First time out of the vault
My take on the trying to recreate the original T51b feel in 1920x1080....

metallic_monk_by_fef96-dcczqm6.png

Pretty good, the helmet looks a bit awkward, though. The eyepiece feel too high, and I think it shouldn't be that cylindrical near the bottom, wasn't there some kind of bulbous area or something?
The textures do get that classic feeling.

Pretty good, the helmet looks a bit awkward, though. The eyepiece feel too high, and I think it shouldn't be that cylindrical near the bottom, wasn't there some kind of bulbous area or something?
The textures do get that classic feeling.
Yeah, I agree. Some of the helmet's proportions could be done better.

Which software did you use?
I used 3Ds Max for the model, Substance painter for textures and rendering and Photoshop for the background and final touch. Also having a fallout soundtrack on the loop was quite helpful too lol

Maybe it's also the perspective. Pretty damn good!
Yeah, that could be it, since it was kinda hit and miss trying to find the perspective on the original art. Also thanks, appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the original model I made for this pic

Looks nearly great. My only gripes are what has been said by others here like the helmet's top part ending up too short, eyeslit too high and the cylindrical mouthpiece part not being bulbous enough (is less noticeable).

I think that looks pretty sick. The textures are nice. The proportions on the helmet do throw me off too though. The cylindrical part is the biggest thing. Makes it look awkwardly tall.

Overall, good job.

I love how your 3D model puts Bethesda's power armor to complete shame even though it's not a full set.
Good job @Filthy696 I make 3D models myself and you got skill. :clap:

Although I personally can't stand 3Ds Max, I prefer blender. It's a functionality thing for me, but both are just as good. So I can't knock that!

The textures are pretty cool, however I do have some suggestions if your open to them.
  • Texture Layering: A neat trick that can be done in a image editing program like photoshop or paint.net. What you do is take the UV and create 4-5 different texture layers. The bottom layer is the lighting, 2nd layer is the main texture with lite opacity, 3rd layer is noise and scars (mid opcaity), 4th layer is minor details, and the 5th layer to be decals. This method allows some really neat tetures with depth, plus if you bump map the textures you can get some really awesome effects. (If you try this out you will need to tinker with it for a while.) You do have some of this going on already so you're on the right track.
  • Rigging: I don't know your skill level so I'm adding this just in case. I think it would help bring the armor more alive if the cabling, tubing, and mechanical parts were weight painted with armatures to give them a gravity effect. In this case you could actually take the origin of the armature and apply it to deform to another main bone structure. From there you can either animate or allow the model to deform on it's own to give the illusion of gravity and motion of the loose parts of the model.
  • Fabrics and Leathers: In this case I suggest texture layering them, but make them darker as well poke some holes in the softer parts of the armor. I also suggest staying away from anything glossy material wise when it comes to fabrics and leathers.
  • The marks of use: For this I suggest considering how the armor itself would wear down over time. For example the exhaust vents on the helmet could have dirt caked in them, dark exhaust marks, etc... The mechanical parts near joints and hinges could show signs of metal sheering around their edges, and if the armor has seen combat I suggest modeling in some bullet dents, bullets stuck in the armor, as well shrapnel marks across the surface.
  • Before and After: For this I suggest crafting a factory new power armor version, then duplicate it and make a war veterans armor based of the "new" version. So that those looking at the armors can see as well understand the kind of heavy use such an armor system encounters. This is a case of granting the armor itself a story for those looking at it to assume. It also is a great way of showing of your skill to those reviewing it.
Some details I really enjoyed about your piece:
  • I think the reflective targeting drop down monocular is really cool.
  • I think the effort applied to the texture pays off.
  • The quality of the model is high, and is smooth.
  • The model looks solid and does do the original armor justice.
I would have like to see a wire frame version of this, just to see how you optimized it.

I don't know if your going to keep working on this, but if you do I'll look forward to it.

I love how your 3D model puts Bethesda's power armor to complete shame even though it's not a full set.
Good job @Filthy696 I make 3D models myself and you got skill. :clap:

Wow... I really appreciate the praise and the ammount of work , that you ve put into explaining everything. I think, if I did this one nowadays, I would ve used different approach in some areas, especially the texturing.

As for the optimalization you can check the link I ve posted with the 3d model, there's a wireframe view. I know how to optimize models, but I didnt have an energy to continue on this model any further haha. It's basically a textured high-poly.

Thanks for the heads up, I didn't even notice I could actually view the wire frame.

After taking another peak I can see why you wouldn't want to go back to this model. There are a lot of triangles, almost all of it is triangles. Optimizing this model would take forever.

Thanks for the heads up, I didn't even notice I could actually view the wire frame.

After taking another peak I can see why you wouldn't want to go back to this model. There are a lot of triangles, almost all of it is triangles. Optimizing this model would take forever.

@Einhanderc7 Oh and also that's because I've intended to make a picture, that'd be the main reason for skipping low poly etc.. etc. As for the topology I had almost full quad topo, but the uploaded model is collapsed with smoothing and triangulated haha

A lot of people don't realize how much effort goes into producing 3D models. I taught a couple of people some neat tricks with how to optimize models. Although soon after they learned how to "hide" triangles instead of getting rid of them all together.

I can understand a handful of triangles hidden here and there simply due to how all the verticies line up.

Don't get me wrong, I'm just rambling about meshes. For the purpose you describe it's perfectly fine. 8-)

What's cool about hard surface models such as metal armor or mechanical objects the weight painting is super simple compared to a biological oriented model. What's super cool about it is the capacity to use inverse kinematics to animate a more mechanic/rigid style. For example you could animate the tubing, and wire to float freely, the head scope in a more hinged mechanical style, as well the turning of the chest bolts in line with the shoulders and such.

Personally I'm a fan of animating more rigid armatures because I have a background with mechanical systems so I know very well how they move, warp, and the most ideal methods to deform them.

Do you intend to model more Fallout stuff or was this just a project based upon a whim?

Back