The game after level 20

I recently hit level 20 and have kind of slightly lost interest in playing the game, have about 60+ h of gametime. I've liked it so far but for me a game has to have something that sucks me in, immersion etc. I haven't installed any mods, don't want to risk corrupting the game install or something. I recently completed the deathclaws in the quarry - mission (quite difficult, for me) and am restocking and recuperating from that ordeal. I haven't put points into energy weapons that much, prefer to keep it basic and 'realistic', use mostly realistic weapons. Visited mr House I think but haven't done many of the Vegas missions, tried to do most of the side quests.

So basically my question is, should I keep playing? Does the game get better towards the end? If not then no biggie, I didn't pay huge bucks for the game.

Yes, keep on playing, and yes, it gets better. Especially if you have DLCs. You've basically just started getting into the main plot. There's a fuckton of sidequests too which you have probably missed.

I understand what you're saying though. There are several points in this game where you will be a little less motivated to play than usual. My advice is to take a break, play something completely different, then come back for more.

I had the misfortune to play both Fo3-FoNV with a completionist mindset i think the combined experience will make me avoid being completionist in some upcoming games.

I would say that the meat of FoNV+DLC is well worth playing with many quests & NPC to interact, but the fillers contents are simply unbearable. Those are way too much and way to repetitive. If you want to fully enjoy it, i would suggest you to avoid fillers. (and avoid Fo3 entirelly as it is 99% made of fillers)

I'm not sure I understand the question.. :D

FONV is the first Fallout-game where I ignore energy-weapons, and stick to hard projectiles. The energy weapons just don't feel like they did back in FO1-2-Tactics, while in FO3 the plasma-rifle was in many respects the ultimate weapon - in FONV, there are many other ultimate weapons that fire projectiles.

But wether or not you should finish should depend on how interested you are, no? I found most NV quests to both fit with the environment, and offer something interesting each, but - contrary to FO3, FONV will require some timing of certain missions that you might miss or not get otherwise. Some companions require that you bring them certain places, in order to trigger certain events, and some quests only happen after certain speech or skill checks, that one might otherwise ignore, believing it to be a trivial piece of dialogue.

I love this game, so I'm gonna say keep it up, push for L30

Personally, I'll even regard moment-before-final-battle as the end of the game, and just explore random caves and stuff from there on (in order to pretend that I've in fact completed it, and am now exploring after-game!)

I noticed that the game gets boring after level 20, mainly due to the fact that by that time, I have the best gear, and am trained to use it all. makes the game dull as nuclear winter.

Shame you feel that way. My most recent Courier is now on level 27 and currently paying Ulysses a visit and there's still a ton left to do (especially judging by the list on my Pipboy).

Start doing the DLC. Lonesome Road, then Honest Hearts, then Old World Blues, and finally Dead Money.

That's sorta backwards, but I think it's the best experience.

Start doing the DLC. Lonesome Road, then Honest Hearts, then Old World Blues, and finally Dead Money.

How come?
Lonesome Road is obviously intended to be played last. Well, not necessarily, but its narrative's design points to that conclusion.

What? The DLCs have a very clear order to them with the only exception being "maybe" Honest Hearts. If you play Old World Blues without Dead Money than all the Elijah and Christine stuff won't make as much sense, and then when you finally meet them I don't think the game let's you acknowledge the fact that you already know about them so it creates an awkward disjoint between what the Courier knows and how he acts. And if you play Lonesome Road first you skip ALLLLL that build up from 3 DLCs and just go right to a climax that won't pack quite as much of a punch anymore. Then you basically go back through and get hyped up for a fight you've already done.

While from a story perspective, it's very wrong (should be DM, then OWB, the HH, and finally LR) but it's best from a gameplay perspective. I found Lonesome Road to a terrible finale, but pretty damn good if you're going in first (I also played on the easiest difficulty, so that might be why.)

Meanwhile, HH and OWB are both equal in difficulty (with OWB being the superior one in terms of quality) but I always do HH first because of the new loot.

OWB is third, mostly because that's where it ended up. I'm kinda torn with putting it third, since I really do love it but I find it best from a gameplay perspective to do LR and HH first.

Finally, DM. This is a personal preference, but I abhor DM. I always save it for last because I don't want to get burned out too early.

New Vegas is easily the best modern Fallout game.

I like the atmosphere and ambient sound/music of Fallout 3, but there is no contest: New Vegas is the best modern Fallout game.

New Vegas is worth the endgame. The many ways you can shape the conclusion is the reason why so many people replay the game (I presume the people of NMA here also falls into that group as well). Some of the endgame quests are rather creative too (one mission for the NCR comes to mind).

Also try to get the DLCs if you can. That's where New Vegas shines the most.

I guess that's one way to go about the DLCs. I always went the other way but to each their own.

I usually play the DLC in the recommended level order and closest from where you start. So I usually explore and screw around until at least level 16, then it's off to the Big MT.

I would reccomend playing Old World Blues first, as there you learn what Big MT is, which overall fits in to all the other DLCs(Honest Heart's very minorly), and from Old World Blues you'll learn about the previous events in the Mountain. Then you move on to Dead Money, because there you learn the cause of events in Big MT, as well as having context to lots of the machinery/devices/dangers of the Sierra Madre if you are observant enough. Then I'd move on to Honest Hearts, because while it doesn't follow on from the OWB/DM storyline, it is still better to do it before Lonesome Road, then finally Lonesome Road, as it acts as a grand finale to your recent adventures, as well as tying up lose ends with many of the other DLCs

Back