The Legion's use of Primitive Weaponry?

Sn1p3r187

Carolinian Shaolin Monk
Since the legion has a habit of absorbing small tribes to add to their ranks and theyre generally less fond of using firearms or powered armor in any way shape or form. Tell me why- Why doesn't the Legion make use of Archers or Slingmen (Basically light artillery guys using rock or lead slings as weapons)? I mean People tend to undermine just effective slings and arrows actually are. Honestly rather prefer to get shot then get popped with an arrow. And I know that in the post nuclear world of Fallout. Plenty of Recurve bows, Longbows, and Compound bows were left around in shops and likely some of the many tribes were making their own as means to hunt and likely as self defense weapons alongside spears. And being slings are relatively easy to make and use. I dont sed why such weapons weren't integrated into Fallout 1, 2, or New Vegas (Wouldve been really awesome for New Vegas, especially in honest hearts). It wouldve made RP'ing as a tribal far more feasible and wouldve made for awesome perks. And likely they wouldve been amazing stealth weapons. I could see them being dictated by potentially Strength, Perception, and maybe the Explosives skill (Throwing if we're talking Fallout 2)

The young tribesmen/women could train as Hastati flinging spears then running back to the ranks.
A well aimed Ballista using magnetic flux arrows would confuse bots and short out power armour.

If the slingers flung * Rocks * amid advancing raiders, the raiders may just sit down and smoke them.

The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;
No more; and by a sleep to say we end
The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to, 'tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wish'd. To die, to sleep;
To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub;
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause: there's the respect
That makes calamity of so long life.

Just one of the many things that might have made it into the game had Obsidian had more time and more knowledge of the developer tools.
Too true. Luckily there's some mods on nexus that make the use of bows a reality in game. It is affected by the explosives skill and it has a lot of sub types of arrows to use in combat. It still needs a bit of work but damn it gives me hope.

The young tribesmen/women could train as Hastati flinging spears then running back to the ranks.
A well aimed Ballista using magnetic flux arrows would confuse bots and short out power armour.

If the slingers flung * Rocks * amid advancing raiders, the raiders may just sit down and smoke them.

The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;
No more; and by a sleep to say we end
The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to, 'tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wish'd. To die, to sleep;
To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub;
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause: there's the respect
That makes calamity of so long life.
Exactly! Or using jousting lances made of very dense material with heavily reinforced tips used on motor bikes would potentially just destroy power armor like it were paper mache. Sadly i fear we wont see an idea used like that in the future. If Obsidian were watching this post, at least give me a writing credit or a shout out in next the fallout game

Or using jousting lances made of very dense material with heavily reinforced tips

I could imagine Fallout London stealing that idea. That has some Ye Olde faction that dress as knights. So to be on the safe side get your idea time stamped.
That is the best idea i've seen in years, don't let them thieve it.

Just one of the many things that might have made it into the game had Obsidian had more time and more knowledge of the developer tools.
One of the devs told me that it took them over a week to get their first animation working —after having been given Bethesda's whole kit.

I could imagine Fallout London stealing that idea. That has some Ye Olde faction that dress as knights. So to be on the safe side get your idea time stamped.
That is the best idea i've seen in years, don't let them thieve it.
Shit or if Obsidian is feeling really spicy. They should get me on their writing team. i pretty much finished writing out the first act of that fallout concept album in my journal. I could give em a shitload of ideas the moment they decide to make a sequel to New Vegas; or KOTOR 3. Im a huge Knights of the Old Republic fan myself. But yeah, the inspiration for lances using potentially tungsten carbide tips to destroy power armor on motor bikes came from watching the 2003 version of Star Wars the Clone Wars. Love the animation of that show. And plus, i felt insulted about not seeing bows as weapons in New Vegas as i tend to do archery myself.

That honestly seems surprising it took that long.
Even more surprising is the vast amount of unused space in the Mojave. Especially in the Eastern and Western parts of the map. In my little journal, the use of Tungsten carbide tipped lances would've came from the 80's use of motorbikes to cover as much ground as humanly possible in the event of an invasion of the Mojave from the North. Bout 2 years after the events of New Vegas eventually the 80's commit to an invasion of the Mojave and they manage to make short work of the Mojave and it's outlying gangs. But they couldn't invade the Strip or Freeside because of the courier's use of securitrons.

Back