The way it SHOULD be...

Nomad

It Wandered In From the Wastes
Allright, you guys have heard it all about this piece of shit. I've heard it all myself. But what good does it do to bitch about it? What's done is done, and hopefully I'Play(withmyself) won't do it again.

I'm the kind of person that doesn't like to know too much about a game before I play it, especially if its one that I'm really anticipating. So, naturally I didn't dig much up about POS. It was a Fallout game, and I had confidence that I wouldn't be let down. Too bad I was wrong. I never knew shit was so expensive. I bought it, and I got so far in it, then I realized that I had already played the damn game, when it had orcs and mages in it. It's like all they did was "skin" Dark Alliance, watering it down in the process.

So here's my idea. Put yourself in the BOS crew's shoes, and brainstorm ideas of how the game SHOULD have been. The only thing that needs to be the same, is that it's a console action title. Prove to Interplay that they could have done shitloads better.

First of all, the game didn't work as a Baulder's Gate: Dark Alliance clone. The game needs more interaction and less linear story. So, I figure using the GTAIII/Vice City engine would have been a better idea. Either scale the maps down so you can fit several cities in one area, or just have iit broken down into several areas.

How about you guys? What do you think?

Using a better engine would probably help. The GTA/VC engine isn't that great, but the perspective and somewhat simple geometry could've improved the overal speed and viewport.

Combat should be more fluid. The targetting system blowed. And sucked. Again, using the GTA/VC engine would be better. O'course, VC's combat wasn't that great to begin with, but the freelook helped.

One of the more important aspects would be to not make the BoS the main aspect of the game. I wouldn't mind seeing the Wasteland Rangers as the primary one, pehaps associating with the BoS on one occasion or two. Or hell, why not just go with no main faction? Just include some of the major ones (BoS, mutant army or remnants, Raiders, Rangers) and have the player decide who they wanted to associate with. Make the story not depend on neither of the groups, but make it so the groups could show interest in them, and there you go.

By the way, when I said the GTAIII/VC engine, I just mean something like it. Of course, it could be improved on. And it would have to be adapted for the different style of game as well.

Role-Player said:
I wouldn't mind seeing the Wasteland Rangers as the primary one, pehaps associating with the BoS on one occasion or two. Or hell, why not just go with no main faction? Just include some of the major ones (BoS, mutant army or remnants, Raiders, Rangers) and have the player decide who they wanted to associate with. Make the story not depend on neither of the groups, but make it so the groups could show interest in them, and there you go.

That's a great idea! Besides, as we all know, the BoS aren't really how they portray them in this POS.

The Wasteland Rangers are a part of Wasteland's setting, not Fallout's. They are two separate universes.

Having said that, I would have used a faction that didn't have much of a background, as to both use artistic license (well, within reason, which escapes the chimps of F:POS) and to flesh out the setting. The Gunrunners would have been perfect, for FOT as well.

Roshambo said:
The Gunrunners would have been perfect, for FOT as well.

Yeah! That'd be perfect... Hmm.. Whatever did happen to them anyway? I haven't really "completed" FO2 yet, so I wouldn't know if they're in it; are they?

Roshambo said:
The Wasteland Rangers are a part of Wasteland's setting, not Fallout's. They are two separate universes.

My bad. I was thinking of the Rangers themselves, but currently playing Wasteland confused me and made me refer to them :oops: :P

The Gunrunners would have been perfect, for FOT as well.

That isnt a bad idea at all.

Well, there was the NCR Rangers- but I had the feeling that they were really incomplete. I mean, I wished I could have gotten a bonus perk or had going back to exterminate Metzger actually mean something...

Back