The Way Of Chosen - Total conversion

The_Proletarian

Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!
Staff member
Admin
The Way Of Chosen is a total conversion mod for Fallout: New Vegas which attempts to recreate Fallout 2.

The mod is described by the developers in the following way:

Molten Clouds said:
The Way of Chosen is the mod with a truly heroic aim, in some ways.

If to be real short about what this mod is - it is Fallout 2 remake in 3D, which you might have been seeking. But this is not the exact truth. To be more certain, it is not the truth at all.

The basis is of course Fallout 2 and we are striving to recreate it as faithfully as possible, but we also intend to recreate the cut-content found in the Fallout 2 Restoration Project along with the addition of a couple new things. Some of these "new things" will be based on the work of other authors (Fallout 2 MegaMod), but some of them will be our own original ideas. Naturally, the game mechanics will have lots of changes done to it. We won't enforce oddly done turn based combat or move the camera away to proudly name it "isometric view", since we know the difference. Also we won't be going crazy, removing content that never was present in Fallout 2 and that we see now, be it weaponry, armor or a new perk.
Story-wise the mod will be built on Fallout 2 with some entries from those two projects mentioned before. The quests and dialogs are going to remain mostly untouched, excluding some moments, which have no use emphasizing the attention on, but, this way or another, new lines of dialogue and ability to pass the quest alternatively will be added.

There won't be (and there are none at the moment) any intentions to remove every thing we never saw in sprites in Fallout 2. As a result, assortment of objects will be coming from Fallout 2, 3 and Fallout New Vegas. The wrong logic "it wasn't present in Fallout 2, so it shouldn't be present here" is not even taken into consideration within our team, unlike other attempts of making mods with such goal.

Character advancement system won't replace skills and traits we already have by now, but also will merge all existing once after they're fit in new game mechanics. Those additions like hardcore needs, and debuffs coming after failing to fulfill character's needs, will be fully integrated in the game and will be used all around the game world.

It is a frequent question about our progress and lack of material to show in our gallery and news. We answer this question in forward: all classic content is being done as close to the original as it is possible, so it looks like its original prototypes and pictures of it, so it takes more time than we'd wish. And thus, we don't really have much time to answer badly put questions like "why is it different in color", and thus we usually show our content in nearly-done stage, which explains why our gallery feels empty and abandoned. We finish one thing and move forward to another one instead of making badly done models, hoping someone else will do this job for us.

If you read all this and are willing to help, all the information is in our Discord server - you're welcome to join!

Our presence in social networks:
- Our website
- Facebook page
- YouTube channel
- Discord server
- VK page

Last edited:
This is really excellent - lot more progress than any other Fo1/2 restoration mod I've seen.

What is it with Russians that makes them so good with mods, anyways?

gallery_2_11_449555.png

So this is still in development, huh. Nice to hear. Though to be honest I don't really care much for F1 and F2 remakes made in the F3 or F4 engine. I think they are fine just as they are. I would rather have F1 and F2 with a bunch of UI improvements like Fonline. Another thing is no matter how hard these mods try, they are never able to capture the atmosphere and grit the old games have. I think it has something to do with how the engine looks.

Last edited:
I guess this project is still alive.
Yeah, it's still going strong.

I have access to their monthly dev-logs. And they have been doing stuff every month.

Here's the last 3 months or so:
- The flying saucer drop zone south of the Den is marked.
- Slight refinement of the classic Mr. Handy WiP model.
- Minor fill in the ruins of an abandoned farm southwest of Klamath.
- Filled several hectares of mountainous terrain south of the Klamath Hunting Grounds with objects.
- Finished the roofs of the Rose Motel (Bed and Breakfast) and the chicken coop in Modoc.
- Performed a basic ground paint job on many acres around Modoc.
- Created the final model of the wire reel table.
- Conducted shadow testing in the exteriors.
- Minor ground edits in the Den and Klamath.
- Completed the textures of the military sniper rifle model.
- Started arranging the main objects on the Ghost Farm.
- Finalized and deployed for texturing the model of the wooden kitchen table.
- Created textures of the wooden kitchen table.
- Started work on the stone building kit for Shady Sands.
- Created variants of the Vault-Tec metal table.
- Constructed the exterior billet of the Detention Center outside the NCR.
- Created model, textures and LOD of the signboard of Balthas' tannery in Modoc.
- Created the model, textures, and LOD of the Great Wanamingo Mine signage in Redding.
- Created additional texture options for the wooden kitchen table.
- The basic textures of the San Francisco streetcar are almost complete.
- A section of the Ghost Farm dungeons has been built.
- The fence on the west side of the Ghost Farm has been built.
- Created a model of the motel sign in Modoc. - Created an Easter egg.

May 2021
- Created the model and the first textures of the San Francisco streetcar.
- Created the sign for the Rose Motel in Modoc.
- Created signboard for the Doc Johnson Clinic in Redding.
- Built the tannery and blacksmith shop in the Modoc surroundings.
- Finished the "box-room" of the Ghost Farm dungeon cave.
- Created the billet for the interior of the tannery in Modoc.
- A blanks for the interior of the forge in Modoc has been created.
- Streetcar San Francisco adapted into working asset.
- Filled the area around the forge in Modoc with objects.
- Painted an image of molerats for the banner in Redding.
- Aligned the edges of the Redding map relief.
- Discovered a critical bug on the Redding map, searching for a solution.
- Created a second variation of the coloring of one of the half-car carts/trailers.
- Created a template for the sign of the general store in Modoc.
- Created all other color variations of one of the half-car brahmin carts (4 operated and one for an abandoned cart).
- Created a new Redding worldspace based on the real terrain of a real city.
- Built the base of one of the old dams in the river in Redding (fish ladder of the Coldwell Park).
- Built the base of the first overpass bridge over the river in Redding.(edited)
- Completed basic filling of the Vault 13 arsenal with objects.
- Created a model of one of the caravan carts (3 of 4 classic models at the moment).
- Created models of the overpass bridge piers and LODs for them.
- Created LODs for two elements of the road overpass.
- Constructed two cliffs near the Great Wanamingo Mine and laid a section of road under them.
- Rebuilt tents for the caravan leaders of the Vault City, NCR, New Reno in the Redding mining camp.
- Added placeholders for the caravanner tents of various offices to the south of the Redding mining camp.
- Created floor assets for Kokoweef and Morning Star Mine buildings in Redding.
- Kokoweef and Morning Star Mine office buildings in Redding were elevated on platforms and finalized.
- Created a model for the grill (cooking station).
- Placed a section of the major highway between the original neighborhoods in Redding.
- Finished the model of the small agricultural tractor, created a UV map.

June 2021
- Painted a large area of ground around the NCR.
- Replaced the models of small ferocactuses with higher quality ones (assets by TheFriedturkey).
- Created a base model of the large agricultural tractor.
- Made some adjustments to the ground around Klamath and the Den.
- Made a sketch for a new poster.
- Painted a significant portion of the desert ground around the NCR as well as completed basic filling with objects.
- Laid several hectares of desert around EPA.
- Marked out a small area to the south of the mines in Redding.
- Performed initial filling of the Modoc's withered gardens territory.
- Finalized the mesh and the textures of the table with alcohol.
- Created a main portion of models of the external walls of the EPA.
- Large territory of the wasteland around EPA was painted and populated with primary objects.
- Created a few additional rock paintings for areas surrounding Arroyo.

Back