Thoughts on a Fallout movie?

Earth

Vault Senior Citizen
I know there was a movie of the original Fallout planned at one point. As a fan of moopies in general do you think Bethesda will ever get a movie rollin'? Or will they shy away, knowing the fate of most video game movies? What do you think they will make? A movie based on the original Fallout or on Fallout 3 as a specific Bethesda title? Or something new all-together based on the Fallout universe?

I read some of the script of the old movie and it was actually fairly decent, and would love to see new work on a movie based on the original Fallout, which with its simple story I think has potential. I actually think it'd be pretty neat having not one Vault Dweller, but the three set protagonists: Albert, Max and Natalia, as a decent way of making an interesting cast.

Anyway, I'll quit rambling. Let's see how long this thread lasts before no one replies to it, or it gets vatted because I didn't notice another Fallout movie thread somewhere.

Knowing the Video Game movie industry they would probably give it to Uwe Boll. But otherwise there's always this:

I've always thought that Fallout could work as a TV series with about 6-8 semi-isolated episodes building up to the Vault Dweller getting the water chip/introducing the super mutants.

TV series is a good point. I'm so obsessed by movies I forget the absolutely huge industry that TV has become. But you're right, Fallout as a series would work really well in exploring the world, visiting all the different towns and seeing monsters etc.

Would add extra pathos when the character (or characters) go to Necropolis a second time, to find it's wiped out by Super Mutants. In a film version you would just need to skip over the whole Necropolis story and cut straight to Super Mutants destroying a town. But with a TV series you can play out the whole timer scenario. Scary, tension-building stuff.

I actually wouldn't mind it being animated (not manga though) but for some reason the west has an aversion to animated stuff outside of children's cartoons. It would make super mutants and landscapes much easier to pass off appropriately.

Seeing as Bethesda has the rights to the franchise, I'd rather not see a film or tv-series be made. Their canon doesn't make any sense, and a script based on that would probably turn out pretty stupid. Of course they'll probably hire some other company to write it (I would presume, I actually don't know how these things are done), but still, the materials they'll have to work with will be shoddy.

I've never been a big fan of games being made into films anyway, though, so I might be kind of biased in this matter.

That's fair. It's safe to say that 90% of films based on games have been pretty bad. And the mediums are two different things. But there's always that part of me that would love to see scenes in Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout New Vegas cinematically.

The most important point is, yes, Bethesda does own the rights. I don't know how much influence they would actually have, but I would assume they'd want their version of Fallout presented, and not the originals. God, the ugly Capital Wasteland on film. I couldn't deal with that. If Fallout 3 or 4 were made into films they would be ugly, badly written messes.

This is all entirely wishful, idealistic thinking on my part.

Of course it'd be cool if it were done right, I'm just not counting on it. But maybe that's just us being the pessimistic cesspool that is NMA. :P

I think it is a matter of time until a Fallout movie or TV show will happen, after all Bethesda is owned by Zenimax and Zenimax has several Hollywood and TV bighshots on it's Board.

The company's Board of Directors consists of 8 individuals:

ZeniMax's Business Advisory Board consists of 7 individuals:

So we have Jerry Bruckheimer owner of Jerry Bruckheimer Films, Leslie Moonves President & CEO of CBS Corporation, Jon Feltheimer CEO of Lions Gate Entertainment Corp and two ex CEOs and/or Chairmans of Disney and Metro Goldwyn Mayer which I bet still have good relations with those companies/studios.
It's only a matter of time, maybe they are trying to gather as many fans as possible for the Fallout franchise before doing it or something.

The problem with a Fallout movie/tv series is that it would need to be about the struggles of people trying to survive and unfortunately we would get a special fx shit show.

I think it is a matter of time until a Fallout movie or TV show will happen, after all Bethesda is owned by Zenimax and Zenimax has several Hollywood and TV bighshots on it's Board.

The company's Board of Directors consists of 8 individuals:

ZeniMax's Business Advisory Board consists of 7 individuals:

So we have Jerry Bruckheimer owner of Jerry Bruckheimer Films, Leslie Moonves President & CEO of CBS Corporation, Jon Feltheimer CEO of Lions Gate Entertainment Corp and two ex CEOs and/or Chairmans of Disney and Metro Goldwyn Mayer which I bet still have good relations with those companies/studios.
It's only a matter of time, maybe they are trying to gather as many fans as possible for the Fallout franchise before doing it or something.
Seems not all that far fetched, then.

The problem with a Fallout movie/tv series is that it would need to be about the struggles of people trying to survive and unfortunately we would get a special fx shit show.
Yup. Another overhyped shitfest.

They could always hand production of a Fallout TV show to a good studio and get a few good film directors to produce, maybe Avellone/Sawyer/Cain as writers; If handled correctly a Fallout TV show could be among the one of the best shows on TV.

Fallout has a lot of potential. It's just frustrating that any attempt at a movie or TV show would invariably be a fuck up. Zenimax being connected to Bruckheimer is only a bad thing.

For me, animation would be the way to go, because I just imagine a TV show looking cheap. Cheap sets, costumes, special effects. Props to the Nuka Break guys, but it wouldn't stand up as a mainstream show.

Animation based on the original artwork of Fallout would be amazing in my opinion.

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net...enant_N.png/revision/latest?cb=20101225082739

Fallout has a lot of potential. It's just frustrating that any attempt at a movie or TV show would invariably be a fuck up. Zenimax being connected to Bruckheimer is only a bad thing.

For me, animation would be the way to go, because I just imagine a TV show looking cheap. Cheap sets, costumes, special effects. Props to the Nuka Break guys, but it wouldn't stand up as a mainstream show.

Animation based on the original artwork of Fallout would be amazing in my opinion.

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net...enant_N.png/revision/latest?cb=20101225082739

Animation ain't cheap either. Big shows like The Simpsons and Familiy Guy have very high production costs, both in money and labour investments, and they pull in ratings to support those costs. Any property for Fallout in film or television would need the bigger audience Bethesda pulled in by making the series more mainstream. Hence why the original film never got off the ground, and why many like it, such as Halo and Bioshock never came to fruition; being true to the source material would require a high cost, and contrasting that against a smaller audience to market it to and it's easy to see why those films never got made.

Heh, fair. Considering Fallout was inspired by a lot of science and post-apocalyptic fiction and films it does make sense to just watch the influences.

I guess there's a part of me that wishes Fallout (in it's true form, not watered down Bethesda garbage) played a bigger part in mainstream culture.

If Fallout were a (well-made) film released in 1997 it'd probably be considered a classic right now.

Video game culture has a frustrating habit of ignoring its history and writing off its own "classics" as outdated.

EDIT: Damn, was replying to joevonzombie

A Fallout trilogy centered on the first game would be nice...

First movie:
- Life inside the Vault
- Vault Dweller gets selected and released
- Shady Sands
- Ends with the discovery of Vault 15 and the lack of chip

Second movie:
- Junktown, The Hub
- Recovers chip
- Goes back to Vault 13
- Ends with the discovery of the Mariposa Military Base

Third movie:
- Everything else: BoS alliance, destruction of Mariposa and destruction of the Master.
- Leaving the Vault again.

Post-credits scene: the Vault Dweller founds Arroyo.

I like the idea of Fallout as a film series, though I would say the first one should start the way Fallout does. Just get straight into the action with the protagonist(s) being sent out into the wastes.

I think if a Fallout tv show were to work out it would have to be an original story, after all the whole point of Fallout is choosing how settlements will survive and thrive in the wastes, taking that power away from the audience would remove one of the most critical aspects of the property.
If it were a story about the Khan migration from California to Vegas and then to Wyoming or, a real-politick about the fall of Caesar's legion though, I could totally get behind that.

Back