Troika vs Black Isle for the third fallout game

Morrigan98

It Wandered In From the Wastes
Who would've made a better Fallout 3 Troika or Black Isle studios? Considering that Troika had the creators of the fallout universe and the original fallout (Tim Cain,Leonard Boyarsky etc) whereas Black Isle studios was the team which worked on Fallout 2 (Chris Avellone, J.E sawyer etc) they planned to make Van Buren and we have a tech demo of that as well as concept arts and a lot of the story and ideas from Van Buren ended up in Fallout New Vegas, But Troika games had their own vision of Fallout and planned to make their own fallout game should they win the bid.

In all honesty, I don't know.
The original Fallout is amazing, one of the best games ever really and Fallout 2, while not as good, is a perfect follow-up to it.
A part of me wants to say that Van Buren would have been better, as Tim Cain has stated he wanted to take the series into space, which isn't really where I would take it.

Then again, this is Tim's baby, he can do whatever he wants with the series and knowing him, he would have made the whole space thing work.

I like to think that in a perfect World where Troika had won the bid, they would have allowed Black Isle (Or Obsidian as they became) to finish their work on Van Buren, before than making Fallout 4.

I would have liked it if we would have gotten a new Fallout every couple of years, one by Obsidian and one by Troika, but I don't think Fallout would have been enough to save the company.

Meaning that Fallout would have most likely got into Obsidian's hands anyway, meaning we would have more than likely got Van Buren (somewhat reworked however to fit whatever canon Troika had come up with).

Either way, what we could have got would have been better than what we actually got.

In all honesty, I don't know.
The original Fallout is amazing, one of the best games ever really and Fallout 2, while not as good, is a perfect follow-up to it.
A part of me wants to say that Van Buren would have been better, as Tim Cain has stated he wanted to take the series into space, which isn't really where I would take it.

Then again, this is Tim's baby, he can do whatever he wants with the series and knowing him, he would have made the whole space thing work.

I like to think that in a perfect World where Troika had won the bid, they would have allowed Black Isle (Or Obsidian as they became) to finish their work on Van Buren, before than making Fallout 4.

I would have liked it if we would have gotten a new Fallout every couple of years, one by Obsidian and one by Troika, but I don't think Fallout would have been enough to save the company.

Meaning that Fallout would have most likely got into Obsidian's hands anyway, meaning we would have more than likely got Van Buren (somewhat reworked however to fit whatever canon Troika had come up with).

Either way, what we could have got would have been better than what we actually got.
Wow I didnt know that Tim Cain wanted Fallout to go into space, whatever he would've made tho would've been sooooo much better than fallout 3 and 4.

You see this is difficult because either option writes my favourite game (New Vegas) out of existence and if Fallout 3 was actually a real Fallout game like the originals I would have never gotton into the series in the first place.....

You see this is difficult because either option writes my favourite game (New Vegas) out of existence and if Fallout 3 was actually a real Fallout game like the originals I would have never gotton into the series in the first place.....

This as well.
I would like to think I would have found out about them anyway, but at the same time, it's because of the Fallout series that I know about games like Planescape and Gothic.

I guess that's the ultimate power of Fallout 3.

This as well.
I would like to think I would have found out about them anyway, but at the same time, it's because of the Fallout series that I know about games like Planescape and Gothic.

I guess that's the ultimate power of Fallout 3.
Well I would've discovered fallout anyway in my case, I've played a lot of 2.5D isometric games (the Commandos series, Diablo) and Fallout honestly always looked fascinating to me. I mainly asked this question because when I ended fallout 1 and then played and finished Fallout 2 I was impressed with how different the 2 approaches of the games were, Fallout 1 was very dark and depressing and had a melancholic tone to the setting wheres Fallout 2 was much more upbeat (it was still dark but not nearly as much as Fallout 1) and had a huge array of easter eggs which were amusing but really made the game feel a lot more lighthearted and another problem was that the main villain of the game felt too much like a generic 80s super villain to me. So I started wondering about the possibilities about how a new Fallout made by Tim Cain would be like, he understood the universe better than anyone else and was arguably in the best position to make a game for it, it would've been very interesting to see how he would've taken the franchise, we got to see Black Isle's ideas (Fallout New Vegas and Fallout 2) But other than Fallout 1 we never really got to experience much of what Tim Cain himself had to offer (Fallout 2 was made with limited input from Tim Cain).

One of the most important Fallout designers was Scott Campbell, he's responsible for the main story arc, many NPCs, and locations.

Anyway, I'd love to see Fallout in the space, since planetary colonization organized by New Rome in the very last chapter of A Canticle for Leibowitz novel was one of the most interesting ideas in this book. (That's where the most interesting ideas including mutation induced telepathy started kicking in.)

This is a tough question. Who would make the better Fallout 3 (Van Buren)?

Well, I know each people like Tim Cain, Chris Avellone, and Josh Sawyer have different ideas on the future of Fallout and how the world should progress.

Tim Cain : From what I've heard wants to take Fallout into space, which I have mixed feelings about. On one hand a Fallout game done properly in space sounds like an interesting idea, but on the other hand I think it's way too early for the franchise to get to space. However who knows? Maybe it'll actually be a good transition.

Chris Avellone : Avellone wants the wasteland to stay a mildly uncivilized wasteland from what I've heard and infer from Lonesome Road. It seems like he doesn't want factions like NCR to get too big and doesn't want the wasteland to be very civilized or very progressive. I agree and disagree. I do think that the world of Fallout should keep some elements of being a post apocalyptic wasteland type setting, however I also think that there should be progression in the wasteland. Fallout has always felt like a long story of humanity slowly getting back on it's feet one step at a time, well at least for me.

Josh Sawyer : And now the man behind New Vegas. Sawyer seems like he understands what Fallout is about and wants to expand on that. That being Fallout is about humanity being rebuilt, civilization, some order and structure, basically Post-Post Apocalyptic. I strongly agree with Sawyer's vision on the future of Fallout, that humanity should eventually get it's shit together and move forward.

Well it's quite obvious that I think Black Isle, with Sawyer, could possibly make a better Fallout 3. However, I would love to see both Troika and Black Isle work together to make it.

I reckon Josh's snd Tim's vision can work together.
I don't know how I feel about Chris's through. I mean I love his work, he possibly is my favourite game developer, but it seems that his direction just makes the whole series stay still. Especially considering there should be change after all.

At least the 3 developers have a view on what fallout should be.
But no, it's instead given to the people who think it should be memes and bugs.
Fuck me, what a load of bullshit.
I'm just happy we got New Vegas, honesty through, I hope we don't get another because Bethesda would just find a way to butcher it.

Back