Troubleshooting FAQ

Odin

Carbon Dated and Proud
Admin
Well I wanted to make this a sticky, post either a link or the solution to a certain problem with Fallout Tactics and we can use this as a starting point for those who are looking...

So post specific error message/what happens and the solution..

Remember I'm only interested in solutions here!

A fix for CD3 corruption errors from magic8bob:

magic8bob said:
Hey everyone, I just ran head-first into the Bunker Delta CD3 corruption bug the other day. After some digging I seem to have found a fix that doesn't involve downloading the files again.

(All this was done using version 1.27, full install)

I'll try and explain what to do.

1. Go and download CDmage -- http://cdmage.orcon.net.nz/frames.html

2. Rip CD3 to an iso image. CDmage supports just about any ISO format, but I used CloneCD 4.2.0.2 for the job.

3. Fire up CDmage and open the image file.

4. Run "Scan for corruption" in the Action menu.

Note: my disc had a bunch of errors. Most were in "loc-mis_D.bos" and "loc-mis_E.bos", but I did have one error in "spr-character_E.bos". I believe I had 8 errors total, 1 was a "Low" priority and the others were all "Medium".

5. Run "Repair corrupted sectors" from the Action menu. This should fix the "Low" priority errors.

6. Select the "Medium" errors and then run "Rebuild sector fields" from the Action menu. I just clicked okay to rebuild all the fields.

If that worked then all the errors should have a green X or checkmark next to them.

7. Try and scan for corruption again (run "Scan for corruption" in the Action menu). When I did this after fixing the errors I had no corruption on the disk.

8. Close down CDmage.

9. Burn the ISO back to a CD or just mount it with Daemon Tools.

10. Copy the fixed files from the CD (which was repaired) to the "core" folder where fallout tactics is installed. On my machine this is "C:\Program Files\14 Degrees East\Fallout Tactics\core".

If you're not using a full install then just try and run it with the fixed CD.

11. Run the game and see if it worked!

Prior to this fix my game was messed up at Bunker Delta. No dialog, and no speech at all.

Results of the fix:

I now get full dialog and speech, bartering, and the briefing for the first mission in Bunker Delta. Everything seems to be fine now, but I suspect that the corruption I had was largely in the MP3 files of the briefings and other dialog, so the missions themselves seem to be okay. I anticipate that some of the speech files will have some corruption in them, but I haven't encountered anything yet.

I'll continue to play and let you guys know if this was sucessful or not.

:D

I was baffled at the mysterious bunker 04 errors, and spent hours tyring to make it work with the level editor, until finally I came across this forum, and this solution, which has worked 100% for me so far.

Great solution and a million thanks.

Oh and just for the hell of it I ran the scan for corruption on disc #1 and #2 as well, and found a couple corrupted files on disk #2 which it fixed without incident, just incase anyone has any other strange problems doing a repeat of disc 3's fix to disc 2 can't hurt.

Edit: :evil:

However once I got to bunker Epilson I encountered the exact same error of no text, no briefing, no shops etc..

After some forum searching I found Reavsters solution in the forums which does work. So in the interest of saving others with the same headache a hour or so of forum hunting here's a summarized step by step solution, based off reavsters advice. (made deliberately simple for those who aren't so pc savvy.)

Step #1 download win Rar if you don't already have it. (google it)

Step #2 open win rar and choose under the file tab open archive then navigate to your fallout tactics core folder (default location
C:\Program Files\14 Degrees East\Fallout Tactics\core )

Step #3: select the corrupted file, in this case loc-misE. Win RAR will then tell you it's corrupt right click on the locale folder in the archive then choose repair archive and click the "treat the corrupt archive as zip" tab and the browse tab to put the file in afolder of your choosing. Then click ok and wait for it to finish compliling.

Step #4 Now navigate to the folder you told it to put the repaired archive in, right click on it, and choose "extract here" from the win rar options that appear.

Step #5 Next cut and paste the folder to your C:\Program Files\14 Degrees East\Fallout Tactics\core) directory and star up the game. Bunker Epilson should now work properly.

Once again thanks to Reavster for the timely solution.

Back