Turn based!

Useing VATS as it is is a non starter, its a "Stand still Aim and shoot mechanic. not a "Move-Shoot-move" mechanic

I dont think it'll worth the effort. it IS possible but as people above have stated, it takes a frickin lot of time and coding.

I've been thinking... let's say in a given moment we fight 3 raiders, have 10 AP and use 9 of them to give 3 shots. Than we would have to fight in real time or hide somehow, waiting for the AP to regenerate, right?

Well, how long does it take in real time for these raiders to shoot 2 or 3 times simultanously? 3 seconds, maybe 5?

Than the game could be modded so that AP fully regenerates instantly after 3 or 5 seconds have passed. It would not be like FO1 and FO2 trn-based, unless someone managed to allow movement and the use of items during VATS instead of only shooting, but it would be better than be forced into real time.

Also, it will be necessary to find a way to prevent the game from ALWAYS going slow motion at EVERY shot made using VATS... by the videos we can see it must be a pain to be forced to see this slow motion all the time.

They really REALLY should have place an option to change this, something like "I want slow motion: 25%, 50%, 75% or 100% of the time".

No, I doubt it will ever happen... If we had the source code then it could be done. Otherwise, no.

Makenshi said:
I've been thinking... let's say in a given moment we fight 3 raiders, have 10 AP and use 9 of them to give 3 shots. Than we would have to fight in real time or hide somehow, waiting for the AP to regenerate, right?

Well, how long does it take in real time for these raiders to shoot 2 or 3 times simultanously? 3 seconds, maybe 5?

Than the game could be modded so that AP fully regenerates instantly after 3 or 5 seconds have passed. It would not be like FO1 and FO2 trn-based, unless someone managed to allow movement and the use of items during VATS instead of only shooting, but it would be better than be forced into real time.

Arcanum did exactly the same thing. It was incredibly annoying. I'd say, just don't do it. All the systems I've played where a company's tried to implement a 'regenerating action points' system like that never really worked well in RT. You always end up getting wailed on by enemies because they somehow have a LOT more APs than you, you often miss when you swing, and... it just doesn't work well.

It will be impossible to make Fallout3 into turn-based without having access to its source code.

Turn-based is not simply "real-time with people taking turns". The programming is radically different in a way that's not likely to be accessible by a mod.

you could hack the AI to only attack after you've attacked and only attack once every time. that way you can pretend it's TB :D

With melee in vats you teleport to the target and hit it if you're slightly out of melee range, I don't see it outside of the realm of possibility to expand this mechanic's range and assign an AP cost

Now I don't know the ins and outs of modding this particular engine but consider this:

Make a script that spawns an invisible entity at the desired location, executes whatever function in vats teleports you to the melee target you're attacking, and subtracts an appropriate amount of AP. Yes teleporting to a location for an AP cost isn't the same thing, but I could live with it. Especially playing a melee character it would be awesome if I could attack from much further away but use my AP for movement.

I don't know if this would be possible without a script extender though, but the OBSE guys already have a FOSE alpha up and running so even with securrom worries looks like we'll be getting one.

Why would you have an incredibly poor, fan made turn-based system, when you can have a mediocre real-time combat system?

Back