Underrail: Expedition - Out now!

The_Proletarian

Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!
Staff member
Admin
underrail_expedition_banner.png

Underrail was released to great fanfare three and a half years ago. Today we see the release of the highly anticipated expansion pack Underrail: Expedition. There's also a new patch for the base game.

Expedition is a mid-game expansion and contains the following features:

Stygian software said:
For those that already have the base game, you can purchase our huge Expedition DLC which features the huge underground lake on which an optional side campaign takes place. This campaign becomes accessible during the normal course of the play sometime during the mid-game, as well as additional psi-school and three new weapon classes (spears, swords, and shotguns).
All DLC features:

• Around 250 new areas
  • Leveling character past level 25, up to level 30
  • Ability to ride and upgrade many different jet skis that vary by speed, defense, firepower and utility
  • Three new weapon classes - spears, swords, and shotguns; all of these can be crafted and there are also special unique ones
  • New psi school: Temporal Manipulation
  • Just under 80 new feats, some of which are special new veteran feats that get unlocked beginning with level 26
  • Specializations - a new way to improve your character; starting with level 16, a character will gain one specialization point that they can use to improve their feats along one or multiple dimensions
  • New consumables, tools, blueprints, and more

Available on GoG and Steam.

Bought the base game on the Steam Summer Sale and have been waiting for the expansion to start playing.

Three new distinct weapon types - shotguns, swords and spears allowing for a number of new play styles

There wasn't shotguns in the normal game? This game is still on my backlog. I want to play it a lot but I'm also kinda terrified at how long it will take me. I like things to wrap up around 50 hours at max.

10 bucks for the expansion seems reasonable.

I like things to wrap up around 50 hours at max.
well, the base game took me more than 60 hours to complete and i think i ran throught it rather hastily. i'd still give it a try though, i too don't like to spend more than 40-50 hours in a game but this one is really immersive and the time flew quickly

This game took me around 120 hours to complete, and I enjoyed every second of it. Unfortunately, I do find UnderRail focuses on combat a bit too much, and I was unable to beat the game due to the end boss fight being nearly impossible. The ending is also slightly underwhelming. However I would still highly recommend it, and will certainly take a look at this recently released expansion.

Yep... I will need to sink my teeth in that one soon.

EDIT: Excellent first impression! Raised level cap, whole new area I know nothing about, expanded world map, new magic school, new perks, new weapon types, speed-up-out-of-combat-option and I don't know what else even is in there.

Last edited:
This game took me around 120 hours to complete, and I enjoyed every second of it. Unfortunately, I do find UnderRail focuses on combat a bit too much, and I was unable to beat the game due to the end boss fight being nearly impossible. The ending is also slightly underwhelming.
i'd say the ending was just bad, i mean the whole last segment of the game. a really disappointing way for such a great game to end.

you're right about focusing on combat, but it's justified, because combat in underrail is quite complex and well-made. i played a stealth-oriented character with no firearms or magic abilities and every fight was like a puzzle where i had to make a smart use of stealth, traps and explosives, lots of fun

I feel that this is appropriate to post seeing as it is about the expansion pack and the base game:

Back