Upcoming PC-exclusive RPGs

daveyd

First time out of the vault
In order to keep track of upcoming RPGs I've been making a list. It's grown to be pretty massive so I'm trying to split them into sub-genres:

(SRPG) Strategy RPGs (linear with heavy focus on turn-based tactical combat):

Acaratus (Early Access) Medieval Steampunk 2017

Age of Grit- Steampunk / Wild West (combat is between steam-powered air ships)

Battle Brothers- Medieval Fantasy

Battletech- Post-apoc Mech battles (Story mode campaign) 2017

Bevontule Medieval Fantasy

Darktide Medieval Fantasy

Dark Trails Medieval Fantasy

Great Whale Road, The: Medieval Viking (Collectible Card Game style combat)

Himeko Sutori Medieval Fantasy

Pathway- 1930's

Street Posse Showdown Modern urban gang

Stellar Tactics Sci-Fi (Coming to Early Access in August 2016)

Trudy's Mechanicals Steampunk

Warbanners Medieval Fantasy 2017

Xenonauts 2 Sci-Fi

Yes, Your Grace Text-based SRPG

CRPGs (dialogue heavy or choice oriented; heavily customize or create your character/s):

Archmage Rises "Sandbox" Medieval Fantasy (TB)

Avadon 3: The Warborn: Medieval Fantasy (TB) Sept. 14, 2016

Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness Medieval Fantasy (RTwP)

Colony Ship RPG untitled Sci-Fi (TB)

Copper Dreams Stealth-oriented Sci-fi / Cyberpunk 2017

Death Trash Post-apocalyptic / Cyberpunk 2017

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Fantasy Medieval (TB)

Ember Fantasy Medieval (RTwP)

Expeditions: Viking: Historical Medieval (TB) Q1 2017

Fallen Gods: Norse Mythology based

Graalseeker Medieval Fantasy (RTwP)

Graywalkers: Purgatory: Post-Apoc Supernatural (TB)

Insomnia "diesel-punk" Sci-Fi RTwP

Kenshi (Early Access) Feudal Japan-inspired, Post-apocalyptic setting

Kim (Early Access) 19th century India (RTwP)

Knights of the Chalice 2 Medieval Fantasy (TB)

No Truce With the Furies: Semi-modern setting (Text-based combat) Q4 2016

One Samurai: Dusk Feudal Japan

Prisonscape Modern day prison (TB)

Project Resurgence Fantasy / Sci-Fi w/ RT / TB combat (toggle)

Seven Dragon Saga Eastern-flavored Fantasy (TB)

Spy DNA Modern day espionage (TB)

Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones Horror / Lovecraft-inspired 20's (TB)

Tyranny Dark Fantasy (RTwP) Q4 2016

West of Loathing Comedy / Wild West (TB)

Witanlore: Dreamtime Fantasy

Zunyrook Sci-Fi (TB)

(ARPG) Action RPG (real-time combat heavy / loot oriented):

Aeon of Sands: The Trail First-person

Battlecursed Medieval Fantasy, (Rogue-like elements) Q1 2017

BlackFaun (Early Access)

Bloodgate (Early Access) Puzzler / ARPG

Book of Demons Medieval Fantasy (card-based skills)

Defenders of Naxia Fantasy Diablo-like

Exanima (Early Access) Medieval Fantasy

Exoplanet: First Contact Sci-fi Action RPG

Fictorum Mage ARPG

Frozen State (Early Access) Post-apoc / Sci-Fi Survival RPG

Healer's Quest Medieval Fantasy Q4 2016

Hobo: Tough Life Modern Urban (Open World)

Master's Eye, The: (Alpha Demo)

Memory of Eldurim, The (Early Access) ARPG

Niffelheim (Early Access)

Seven Stealth / ARPG

Tanzia Fantasy ARPG Q4 2016?

Unbended Fantasy ARPG

Underworld Ascendant Medieval Fantasy

Witchmarsh- 20's era New Orleans (side scroller)

Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem (Early Access) Medieval Fantasy

Zombasite Zombie Apocalypse

Dungeon Crawler (combat and loot heavy, exploration usually in first-person perspective)

Age of Decadence Dungeon Crawler- Iron Tower Studios- Post-apoc medieval (TB) 2016?

Arakion Medieval Fantasy (TB) 2017?

Bard's Tale IV- Medieval Fantasy (TB) 2017?

Dungeons of Aledorn Medieval Fantasy (TB)

Frayed Knights 2: Comedy / Fantasy (TB)

Heroes of Monkey Tavern Medieval Fantasy (RT)

Lords of Xulima 2: Medieval Fantasy (TB) (isometric exploration)

Skullstone Medieval Fantasy (RT)

Starcrawlers (Early Access) Sci-Fi (TB)

Swords & Sorcery: Sovereign FP DC Q1 2017

Vaporum Steampunk (RT)

Venture Forth Medieval Fantasy (RT)

(JRPG) Japanese / Eastern style (usually linear, story heavy with predefined characters)

Amazing Fantastics, The Superheroes / villains (TB)

Arelite Core (Alpha Demo) Fantasy TB

Barkley 2 Parody Sci-Fi JRPG

Celestian Tales: Realms Beyond Medieval Fantasy (TB)

Meridian Shard, The: Medieval Fantasy (TB)

Remnants of Twilight JRPG

Toby's Island Life Sim elements (TB combat)

Adventure games with signficant RPG elements

Back From Hell - "Puzzle RPG" in Medieval Spain / Hell

Bloom: Memories Adv. w/ RT combat (pacifist run possible)

Hero- U: Rogue to Redemption Medieval Fantasy (P&C adventure, w/ TB combat)

Mage's Initiation: Reign of the Elements (P&C adv, w/ RTwP combat)

Frontier (Early Access) Wild West ARPG

Frontiers: (Early Access) ARPG / Hiking Simulator

Halcyon 6: Starbase Commander (Early Access)

House of Many Doors, A 2D exploration RPG

Luckless Seven Card Game RPG

Mandate, The: SF RTS

Meriwether Q4 2016 ARPG

Paradise Never Modern Fantasy

Pauldron: Shield of the King Rougelike (TB)

Planet Explorers (Early Access) TBA

Project Zomboid (Early Access)

Synpase- Cyberpunk (TB)

Wayward Terran Frontier: Zero Falls Sci-Fi Space Adventure (Early Access)

You Are a Dark God: Desolation Road Visual Novel /w RPG elements

In order to be included on the above list, a game should meet the following qualifications:

(1) PC Exclusive- at launch PC (including Windows, Mac, Linux, C64, etc.), but no confirmed plans to port / co-release the game on consoles, tablets, phones or calculators

(2) Single-player only (optional co-op a la D:OS is fine, but no MMOs or exclusively multiplayer games

(3) Commerical game- No freeware; while some of it like Heroine's Quest is fantastic, there's far too much shovelware, half-finished RPGMaker games, etc. to keep bother keeping track of

So I'm not including potentially good games have planned console releases… Most of these are AAA titles, so I'm so we'll all hear way too much about them anyway

I'm also intentionally avoiding vaporware; games that have been postponed and not actively being developed as far as we know…. Has to be some evidence that the game is being worked on, screenshot, concept art, or at least announcement from a developer with shipped titles.

Have I missed anything? Anything you feel should be moved to a different sub-category. Please let me know.

I'll include games in Early Access. Not sure if I should include enhanced editions aka director's cuts etc of existing games (e.g., Icy: Remastered)...

Anyway, I hope some of you will find this list useful and discover interesting RPGs that you hadn't even heard of. Some will be good, some will be bad, some will probably be canceled. Prepare to get hyped and probably ultimately disappointed!

Last edited:
I'm being fairly loose on the what counts an RPG...
It shouldn't be. The title is "RPG's", so include only actual RPG's or alter the title to "RPG-Oriented Games" or something.

Personally I have no interest in broad lists like this, they're just a chore to go through to find the kind of proper stuff that I'm looking for. (But even worse is the wikipedia list for zombie films. That's fucking horrendous to sort through to find new zombie films that are actually good and suited to my taste (Fulci or Romero zombies)

It shouldn't be. The title is "RPG's", so include only actual RPG's or alter the title to "RPG-Oriented Games" or something.

Personally I have no interest in broad lists like this, they're just a chore to go through to find the kind of proper stuff that I'm looking for. (But even worse is the wikipedia list for zombie films. That's fucking horrendous to sort through to find new zombie films that are actually good and suited to my taste (Fulci or Romero zombies)

Then please give me a comprehensive definition of RPG so I can determine whether or not a specific game makes the cut. I could do a list of only CRPGs that's an extremely subjective term...

I do think most of the games I've listed here are pretty much indisputably an RPG... Biggest exception is Battletech. Could remove the few games which are probably better categorized as Strategy games, but that wouldn't really make the list much shorter.

I'm trying to make it easier to navigate by putting brief subgenres next to the game like ARPG, JRPG, etc.

Add a few sub categories in your list to clear things up. I'm also only here for the true RPG's, if that's all right.

What do you mean by Age of Decadence Dungeon Crawler? Do you mean the Colony Ship RPG Iron Tower Studios is working on or is there some AoD expansion coming up that I'm not aware of yet?

Add a few sub categories in your list to clear things up. I'm also only here for the true RPG's, if that's all right.

I understand. Problem is we all have our own definition of True RPG. I personally dislike most Action RPGs (and Dungeon Crawlers), but it seems arbitrary to exclude things because I don't like them...

Of course I want this to be useful to other people or I wouldnt' have posted so I'll work on splitting it up by sub-genre soon.

What do you mean by Age of Decadence Dungeon Crawler? Do you mean the Colony Ship RPG Iron Tower Studios is working on or is there some AoD expansion coming up that I'm not aware of yet?

It's a separate game, made in the AoD engine. It will be a dungeon crawler where you control a party of characters in combat. Supposed to come out late this year or early next, but not a whole lot of info has been given.

Given the other stuff you included, the single-player companion to Star Citizen, Squadron 42, should probably be on there.

to me Divinity original sin 2 is what would post-CRPG would be like. its gone so far that actually more closely to table rpg due to the multiplayer player banter aspect

Then please give me a comprehensive definition of RPG so I can determine whether or not a specific game makes the cut. I could do a list of only CRPGs that's an extremely subjective term...

I do think most of the games I've listed here are pretty much indisputably an RPG... Biggest exception is Battletech. Could remove the few games which are probably better categorized as Strategy games, but that wouldn't really make the list much shorter.

I'm trying to make it easier to navigate by putting brief subgenres next to the game like ARPG, JRPG, etc.
Easiest thing would be to split them up into subcategories.

cRPG's aren't JRPG's, card-games aren't dungeon crawlers, visual novel isn't SRPG (probably, what 'is' a "SRPG" anyway?).

Of course it can be tricky to find similarities and distinctions with RPG's, it is (sadly) a very broad genre, but a cRPG has focus on dialogue and multiple quest solutions whereas an action RPG is more combat oriented. A tactical strategy game on the other hand isn't necessarily "action" RPG though.

CRPG, ARPG, JRPG, Dungeon Crawler, Tactical Combat RPG and Other would be the categories I would list them in. You can detail whether they are RTwP, TB or something else in the parenthesis ().

cRPG's aren't JRPG's, card-games aren't dungeon crawlers, visual novel isn't SRPG (probably, what 'is' a "SRPG" anyway?).

Of course it can be tricky to find similarities and distinctions with RPG's, it is (sadly) a very broad genre, but a cRPG has focus on dialogue and multiple quest solutions whereas an action RPG is more combat oriented. A tactical strategy game on the other hand isn't necessarily "action" RPG though.

CRPG, ARPG, JRPG, Dungeon Crawler, Tactical Combat RPG and Other would be the categories I would list them in. You can detail whether they are RTwP, TB or something else in the parenthesis ().
well the original term for CRPG is basically of reimaging the whole tabletop rpg into videogames

Right, but what titles do we classify as cRPG's at this point?
Torment, Fallout, Baldurs Gate, Divinity, Underrail etc are what I would call cRPG's.
Diablo, XCOM and Chrono Trigger are games I wouldn't consider cRPG's but rather hack and slasher RPG (or ARPG), strategic TB combat RPG and JRPG respectively.

The games I listed as cRPG's are far more similar to one another than the games I listed as other titles. Technically there are a lot of other games that would fit in with the transition from table-top over to computer/console iterations such as Morrowind and Diablo in a way. But I think that the RPG genre is far too broad as it is and so sub-genres need to be more distinctive.

SRPG is a "Strategy RPG", also known as TRPG (tactical RPG); basically it's an RPG that is focused on (relatively large scale) tactical combat, which is generally turn-based. Blackguards and Legends of Eisenwald are good recent examples. They're generally distinguished from turn-based strategy games in that all the units can "level up" and you probably aren't managing resources as in pure strategy games.

Many games are hybrids of various genres and sub-genres. This is not a bad thing as can make for some interesting games. CRPG is a particularly ill-defined (really seems to be "I know when i see it" sort of thing). I'll just define it as dialogue-heavy / choice-oriented RPGs that don't really fit well into the other subgenres. All this makes categorizing games very difficult... But I'll try.

I don't see in that list the game Ghost of a Tale.
I don't know much about it but it is advertised as an Action-RPG that in it's GOG.com game page says:
"puts an emphasis on immersion and exploration" and "A non-violent game were you're not required to kill anyone".

To be honest I just found out about this game in development from the front page of GOG.com so I was wondering if anyone around here knows more about it.

EDIT: Forgot to link the GOG's game page.

i'm sure the xenonauts 2 is turned into phoenix point, considering its the most mentioned when someone do interview with julian gollop.

I don't see in that list the game Ghost of a Tale.
I don't know much about it but it is advertised as an Action-RPG that in it's GOG.com game page says:
"puts an emphasis on immersion and exploration" and "A non-violent game were you're not required to kill anyone".

To be honest I just found out about this game in development from the front page of GOG.com so I was wondering if anyone around here knows more about it.

EDIT: Forgot to link the GOG's game page.
That's actually looking good. Any idea if the camera would be free-movement? The game "puts an emphasis on immersion and exploration", so free-movement camera is a must.

That's actually looking good. Any idea if the camera would be free-movement? The game "puts an emphasis on immersion and exploration", so free-movement camera is a must.
Seems like it has at least some kind of free-movement if one of the short video on the site is of actual gameplay:
http://www.ghostofatale.com/
Check the first video on the "Tunnel Vision" Post (it's the third post from the top)

Seems like it has at least some kind of free-movement if one of the short video on the site is of actual gameplay:
http://www.ghostofatale.com/
Check the first video on the "Tunnel Vision" Post (it's the third post from the top)
Do I have to use a gamepad to play Ghost of a Tale?
No. However, while the game fully supports mouse/keyboard it is fundamentally designed with a gamepad in mind (I use the Xbox One’s).

Since Ghost of a Tale is a third-person game where body-awareness is fairly important it’s just nicer and more precise to use a Gamepad. But in the end it’s your choice of course.
*sigh* Not PC-Exclusive, then, since it also says there will be console version after the PC releases. Oh well, at least it's received well on GOG, and does deliver on whatever promises it offers (emphasis on exploration).

*sigh* Not PC-Exclusive, then, since it also says there will be console version after the PC releases. Oh well, at least it's received well on GOG, and does deliver on whatever promises it offers (emphasis on exploration).
Damn it, well spotted... I hadn't noticed...
Oh well nothing to see here, move along... Pretend I never posted any of this here :whistle:.

That Arelite Core game sure looks like a lot of fun! And I'm not just saying that because I'm the developer of the game.

... Ok, maybe I am, but I assure you, it's a lot of fun :P

Hi everyone,

I am a developer working with a small team to create Bevontule, an upcoming turn-based tactical RPG. Was a pleasant surprise to see our names on this list :) We have been working on this project for around a year or so and have released 4 different demos showcasing various milestones in our development. Today we have released a massive new demo that comprises nearly four hours of gameplay and introduces the player to many of the concepts, systems and mechanics that will be present in the final game. Here is a small summary of some of the main features of the Bevontule pre-alpha demo:

• Turn-based tactical combat unlike anything you've probably seen: doesn't use a grid, uses an innovative dynamic targeting system, characters can move while selecting actions, actions need to charge up, et cetera.
  • Heavily plot-driven with a story nearly 20 years in the making (OK, so I was a young little lad when we first came up with the idea, but it's progressed A LOT since then; tons of lore, mythology and backstory)
  • Three playable characters with vastly different strengths and weaknesses with 15 unique skills between them
  • 17 diverse enemies with nearly 40 different skills between them. Our Enemy AI is smart, fast and very, very mean
  • Nearly 100 collectible items and drops, including consumables, equipment, accessories and crafting materials
  • Main menu access to stats, inventory and equipment (Have yet to implement our skill-leveling system and a few other systems)
  • Supports mouse, keyboard and XBOX360 controller input with others planned
  • Developed in Unity 5 with full and modern 3D graphics

If you're a fan of RPGs (particularly tactical combat systems), we'd love for you guys to give it a try! We'll take any and all feedback and constructive criticism we can get; sweet or salty, we're all ears.

The installer for our newest pre-alpha demo can be found here.
More information about the game can be found at our website and IndieDB page.
Here are links to our various social media accounts: Facebook, Twitter (you can also subscribe to our mailing list here for the latest updates, news and promotions)

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have about the game's mechanics or development process, the game's lore or RPGs in general! Thanks!

Removed Torment: ToN as it was announced for consoles. And Frozen State was recently released on Steam.

Believe it or not there's still a few RPGs I need to add.

Back