Want to get into Wasteland

Kadscaner

NMA’s only mutie
Hey pals! With the announcement of Wasteland 3, I'd like to get into the series. Anyone know a safe place i could download the original? Any tips? Thanks <3

ya, when you get the basic $40 version on steam or gog, you get wasteland 1 free. i am currently following both to see when there is a good sale for it. i would prefer to go gog, if i can.

Basically what everyone said.
If you want to get into the whole series, in that case waiting for Steam or GOG sale is the best thing since Wasteland goes for free with Wasteland 2...or at least it used to, might wanna check to be sure.
Otherwise, you can get just the original at the same places for far less money.

And I'm not sure about this, but WL was abandonware for a long while. I guess it still is? At least the original version, not the current updated, more user-friendly one which is sold on Steam/GoG and wherever. Googling should net some websites where you can get it for free, but like I've said, that's the original version - means you will have to use a notepad file to read paragraphs of dialogue and descriptions, there will be no music in the game and IIRC saving can be a bitch sometimes. And you will have to run it through DOSbox.

But this is all from memory. I played that version of wasteland...5 years back? Been a long time.

Anyway, GoG or Steam (I prefer the former) is your best bet. The changes this updated version brings are really good - no need for aforementioned paragraph searching, you get some music by Mark Morgan, and the optional UI and graphics update (which I personally hate, but it is optional and the original UI is still there). Other than that, it's still the same game.

I wonder how they managed to downgrade graphics 25 years after the game release. Are the sprite artist all dead ?

Otherwise, gog/steam version is worthy for not having to look for a notepad for paragraph. Voiced paragraph and music are neat, but the fact you don't have to leave the game to know the plot is the most important.

Back