Votes: 8 19.5%
  • Tired of Crowdfunding

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 8 19.5%

• Total voters
T

TorontoReign

Wasteland 3 was just updated on Fig to include the Vision Doc. It is definitely worth a look for Fallout fans. InXile has received a lot of complaints recently due to poor communication with backers, and Blacklisting RPG Codex, so let's hope they can turn things around this year.

Hello Rangers,

It is time to give you all another status update on Wasteland 3! As we mentioned previously, we are deep in our pre-production phase. We have a set of core team members working to build out the vision for the game. In the coming months we have a set timeline to ensure our future team members will roll onto the project smoothly. Lead Designer George Ziets and the content team are hard at work hammering down the overall storyline, as well as working on area design and coming up with all kinds of quirky characters and companions to populate Colorado.

Beyond area and system designs, a key goal for our pre-production period is to get working prototypes for our internal use. These are focused on major gameplay elements, such as combat, missions, exploration, skill use, and so on. A lot of those designs are heavily rooted in Wasteland 2, which gives us a firm basis in the kind of rich reactivity and systemic depth we want. Our prototype work will focus on answering larger questions about new gameplay elements, such as vehicles, multiplayer, and ice and cold. We showed some of this prototyping work in our crowdfunding campaign, but for pre-production it is essential to create prototypes that explore the riskiest gameplay elements, and this will be our focus in coming months.

Since we now have a good idea of the basics, our humble team has been growing. The art lead on Torment, Charlie Bloomer, has begun work on Wasteland 3, and will be concepting and prototyping scenes to figure out how we can maximize the aesthetic of our unique, wintery setting. Dan Jenkins and Chris Wiedel, engineers who worked on Wasteland 2 and Torment, have started exploring Wasteland 3's programming needs, such as integrating useful code from Wasteland 2 and Torment, as well as investigating our requirements to get multiplayer off the ground.

But that's not all we have to share. Dating back to the Interplay days, our studio philosophy is to create a vision document for each of our projects. This document contains the game's core elements and features, and serves to remind us of our high-level goals throughout production, as well as to give new team members an introduction to the game’s core features. On Wasteland 2, we shared our vision with you early in the development process, and we're continuing that tradition with Wasteland 3.

You may recall, our previously released concept renders were done by the highly talented duo of Chris and Nic Bischoff, of The Brotherhood studio. Although they've been a great help to us in these early Wasteland 3 days, they've also been hard at work on their own projects. First, they followed up on their critically acclaimed STASIS adventure game with a free isometric horror adventure game titled Cayne, available on both Steam and GOG.com. "Give away a game for free, are they mad?" you ask, to which I answer "that's not a very nice question, but yes, quite likely they are, and also you should probably play it!"

But there's more! They've also been building their own post-apocalyptic adventure called Beautiful Desolation, a stunningly beautiful game featuring a unique African setting. Not too long ago, this project hit Kickstarter, and with less than two weeks to go, is closing in on its funding goal! If you like what you see, we encourage you to take a closer look and consider supporting their efforts.

Wasn't the blacklisting made by Deep Silver or something cause RPGCodex leaked something they weren't supposed to because it had a slated announcement?

Sounds nice, but also sounds like a salesman's speech. I hope they will deliver better than they did with WL2.

As for the poll, yes, I am somewhat excited for this. It is the closest thing to a proper Fallout game (just like WL2 was) we can hope for - now also with talking heads - so I am going to be looking at it. Perhaps inXile has learned a thing or two since Wasteland 2 (they damn well should have).

I'm too skeptical about it too be excited. Focus on graphical impressiveness cause multiplatform cause they want to make money from peeps who like stuff like Dark Souls and also talk of streamlining features.

I'm not jumping up and down either; the graphics stuff I don't give a fuck about - unless it clearly hinders the creative effort - but the multiplayer shit does turn me off. WL2 also wasn't exactly the best offering possible, but they now have a better (and more experienced) team - George Ziets as lead designer, Colin McComb on the team - and some experience on handling things well and badly (+ relevant feedback).

If something can go wrong, it will. But meh. Aside from few other crowdfunders (TTON, DOS2, Bard's Tale 4, Battletech) and possibly Cyberpunk (unless it ends up as a "Witcher meets GTA" pseudoRPG shooter) there's absolutely nothing to look forward to at the moment. Might as well try and check out on everything that looks promising at least on some level.

Oh, I forgot... Multiplayer... And zoomed in on face dialogue with full animations + voice acting which just sounds like a colossal waste of budget to me.

And zoomed in on face dialogue with full animations + voice acting which just sounds like a colossal waste of budget to me.

True to a point. Then again...

lt.jpg

...they are not voicing everyone (I got that impression and vaguely recall Fargo pretty much saying that it would be too expensive in some interview).

It can well turn into a disaster, but... nothing really to lose for me.

I will always find it to be a waste of money. Yes, it will only be used for "key conversations", but my problem with this reasoning is that if it is fine to 'not' waste money on voice acting and talking head animations all of the other times then why is it necessary for those key conversations?

It's more of a bonus than a feature for me. If the rest of the game is amazing 'and' it has some talking heads? That's pretty sweet. But, well... Wasteland 2.

Which is why I'm skeptical about any decision they make, especially one that could be a potential waste of budget better spent on something else.

The talking heads in Fallout 1 & 2 do indeed add much to the atmosphere of the game(s). If done right it could be very beneficial to the portrayal of the game world

After a relatively good Wasteland 2, a disappointing WL2 Director's Cut and the obvious trouble TTON is going through, with incompetent management combined with multi-platform ambitions, as well as lack of transparency, I have zero trust in inXile and don't think they can deliver on what they've been promising.
There are plenty of talented people working there, but overall, the company gives me feeling of being in a huge mess - biting way more than they can chew.

I hope they can deliver on what they've promised, but I'm very skeptical. Besides, I wasn't very happy with WL2 to begin with. It's not a bad game, but a poor sequel in my opinion, largely unfinished.

In any case, good luck to inXile but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm kinda of the same opinion. InXile's problems are very clear, and the gradual shift in focus is apparent.

I guess I'm just growing to be beyond caring. The "rpg renaissance" didn't really turn out quite the way I had hoped for. Naive on my part to have expected too much. The "dreamgame" of yesteryears isn't going to happen and the older I get the less these things manage to hold my interest. So when ever - and that's not very often - there's something that has the potential to be competently fun at least on some level, I'm willing to give it a chance and even cut some slack on certain matters I don't completely agree with (if it can't be helped).

I don't care to shit on inXile for their troubles, nor on Obsidian for being stuck with their boring BG clones. But I do think they deserve the criticism and doubt the get.

I never wanted the "dream game", I really just wanted a good one. I guess I sorta got one in WL2, although playing the beta pretty much took any joy out of it for me.

The console focus is inevitable I suppose, but it's still sort of sad that, for example, WL2 now really only plays right or gets updates on a console. That I did not expect.

The lack of communication with backers? I see this as a plus. Too much input just waters down the end result. Of course the proof is in the pudding. Or is it in the eating of the pudding? I always get confused. And now I'm hungry.

As much as I enjoyed the first playthrough of Wasteland 2 I could never bring myself to actually finish it a 2nd time. I know it has a lot of replayability but for whatever reason it's just not as immersive/addictive as similar games. I hope Wasteland 3 hooks me a little more than 2.

I've beaten Fallout 1 & 2 like no joke well over a dozen times together - close to finish another game of 1 using FIXT for the first time. I will probably do another FO2 next, then NV or 1.5 again.

Back