Wasteland noise

alec

White heterosexual male
Orderite
I've recently downloaded Wasteland again and gave it another shot. I've tried to play it before but got really sick from the graphics. This time, though, I'm getting the hang of it, I think, and I'm starting to really enjoy it. However: what's with the awfull sound my pc makes when I move around? It's just 'noise', it seems, but I can't seem to shut it off and it gets really annoying after a while. Per doesn't mention it in the Preparations section of his walkthrough, but I doubt I'm the only one who has this problem. Anyone have any ideas? :roll:

Ratty said:
How about you disable your PC speaker?

Which means opening the box and cutting a wire? I'm not molesting my pc for some abandonware. If someone could tell me if you can perhaps change the settings of the PC speaker, that would really help. I haven't got a clue how to do that. :roll:

*sigh* When was the last time anyone used the PC speaker for anything lately?

Rip the fucking useless thing out, it's not really used except for beep codes for startup (and unless you have graphics problems, the error will usually be displayed on the screen anyways). If you have no problems with that, disconnect the wires from the speaker at the motherboard. They aren't that hard to find and remove, just pull them out instead of cutting.

Hell, I got rid of the PC speaker when I was playing a lot of the older MS-DOS games, including Gold and Silver boxes.

Well, thanks. I suppose you're right about the pc speaker. I'll think about it and maybe I'll disconnect the wires. Cheers!

I think it's even possible to turn it off in Device Manager, but I'm not sure. I disabled it physically, since it's a more... permanent solution.

If you can't find the wires on your mobo, just cut all wires inside your computer. Chances are one of them will be connected to the speaker. :P

LvFaShi said:
And after that you cannot start your computer... That's terrible!:(

On the bright side the beeping will have stopped :D

This is for Windows NT, but it might work (meh, they're all the same anyway)

Turn off the Internal Speaker

Does the internal PC speakers beeps anoy you as they do me, well if they do the following tips show how you can turn the speaker off. Run Notepad and enter the following exactly as shown. However, when you see BLANK LINE GOES HERE, don't type in BLANK LINE GOES HERE just press Enter.

REGEDIT4
BLANK LINE GOES HERE
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Sound]
"Beep"="No"
BLANK LINE GOES HERE

Choose File, Save As, and name the file SoundOff.reg. Locate a folder for the file and click Save. To run Double-click the new file's icon to merge it with the Registry. If you should need to turn the sound back on, make a copy of the REG file and name it SoundOn.reg. Change "Beep"="No" to "Beep"="Yes".

Back