Well, I'm replaying Fallout 1 now thanks to you

CT Phipps

Carbon Dated and Proud
I loved the game the first time but it's my least favorite of the major releases (not including Tactics). I just love shooting and 3D environments.

I just finished out Vault 15.

The opening remains chillingly wonderful.

Buy War Bonds indeed.

Why is it your least favorite? If you are more interested in shooting and 3d environments you might as well play a FPS.

I *DO* play a FPS. It's called Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas. They're just FPS with RPG elements.

I actually should put Fallout 4 underneath Fallout 1 because I think of Fallout as one of the most innovative and fascinating of games all round. It's just I enjoyed Fallout 3 and New Vegas are two of my all time favorite video games. My top video games I've ever played are this:

1. Witcher 3
2. Skyrim
3. Fallout: New Vegas
4. Fallout 3
5. Dragon Age: Origins
6. Fallout 2
7. Witcher: Assassins of Kings
8. Saints Row 2
9. Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines
10. Fallout

Basically, I just believe Fallout 2 is superior in almost all respects to Fallout 1. That's why I'm replaying it, though. It's been over a decade since I played Fallout and I wonder if I could appreciate it more in my 30s.

Fallout is a RPG series, not a FPS series. You could pick almost any modern FPS and get far better combat then you could from the modern Fallouts.

Fallout is a RPG series, not a FPS series. You could pick almost any modern FPS and get far better combat then you could from the modern Fallouts.

That's a pigeon-holing argument. That I enjoy the first person shooting combat of Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas more than tactical turn based combat which forms a SUBSTANTIAL portion of Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 games does not, in fact, necessitate I don't enjoy roleplaying or the world. Call of Duty is a game which I deeply dislike aside from the Modern Warfare series because it glorifies war and blind patriotism while not acknowledging the horrible costs thereof. Conversely, I liked Spec Ops: The Line for criticizing that nationalist and blind dehumanizing sentiment.

Fallout is beautiful for its lore, story, and the fundamental sentiment which war is inferior to peace. Albeit, too often it ends with the genocide of one faction or another.

Fallout 1 Thoughts 1#

1. The first part of the game is one which I absolutely adore and that's the opening with the murder of a unarmed civilian by some Pre-War soldiers and then it being used as a commercial. I also enjoyed the use of "Maybe" in the opening as while I would have preferred "I don't want to set the world on fire" I think the uncertainty of Maybe still works as well.

2. Ron Pearlman is the voice of Fallout and I've got to say he was badly misused in Fallout 4. We knew that, of course, but his overview here nicely summarizes everything here. I wonder if it's an homage to 'The Road Warrior' as the speech strong reminds me of the Feral Child/Storyteller's.

3. I love the Vault Overseer, I really do. He seems like such a kindly likable man but you still get a little thrown by his beady eyes and shifty expression. I also like the Water Chip quest is such a simple and direct one but it's not "Find your father or find your son." No, you're after something which is equipment-based.

4. Fallout 1 definitely does get the ball rolling much better than Fallout 2 (ugh), Fallout 3 (Albeit I really liked exploring life in the Vault--I just don't think it needed anything more than the birthday party), and Fallout 4 (which I think should have been longer or shorter).

5. I always love there's a dead guy right outside the Vault. I like to think this is the first guy the Overseer sent out and he got mauled and eaten by rats within seconds.

6. Combat, Combat, Combat: I actually have always felt the turn to first person and third person shooting is entirely consistent with Fallout because this is a murder-heavy game. I killed 17 or so rats on the way out and that's just how the system works.

7. Off to Shady Sands: I always liked the original Shady Sands. It's a self-sufficient desert community with a multi-racial population. Its also spiritual, isolationist, and unfriendly to outsiders. I kind of regret that it became NCR because it lost everything which Aradesh had made good about the place. I also like the vaguely Middle-Eastern feel.

8. Aradesh: I really like Aradesh as he's being cautious but not crazy. The outsider is welcome as long as he's watched. I also liked they got cheated of a water maker by previous traders and that's why they dislike outsiders.

9. Tandi: I love Tandi, I really do. Just her voice acting and fun-wanderlust-filled spirit. It's a pity the Vault Dweller and her didn't hook up. Notably, I made my Vault Dweller 18, so it would be an appropriate match but probably not for a 52 year one as is the option.

10. Murdering Radscorpions: Murder, murder, murder. In any case, I pick up my first companion and decide to head to Vault 15.

11. Odd Notation: Shady Sands tried to find other Vaults but couldn't despite the fact Vault 13 is right next to them. I wonder if that's due to the fact the Vault Overseer was keeping silent of them.

Was the Vault experiments planned from the beginning or just a retcon ala Bethesda? Tough call.

12. Vault 15: One area which I liked over the Bethesda games is the Vaults are mostly nice places in these games. Vault 15 did its job and Shady Sands was created. Vault City did its job. Vault 13 became Arryo and later New Arryo. I don't mind Vaults which were experiments but some of them are just ridiculous ones.

Still, this is just a Dungeons and Dragons-esque dungeon of murder. I do think you could probably redo Fallout 1 as a Bethesda mod, though. Shift all of the audio files over to other characters. Sadly, you'd need audio files for all the written characters.

I think exploring Vault 15, though is a perfect Bethesda dungeon.

I sense maturity levels dying here.

Actually, it's more an observation of the limitations and growth of freedom. You could be anyone as Vault Dweller as long as you were from the Vault. You could be a fat old man named Old Man Henderson or a sweet kindly grandmother like Lilly or a child or a lesbian or a slack jawed moron. Other games would have just assumed you were a man ala Baldur's Gate but Fallout restricted you JUST ENOUGH to tell their story.

Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas remembered this lesson.

Actually, it's more an observation of the limitations and growth of freedom. You could be anyone as Vault Dweller as long as you were from the Vault. You could be a fat old man named Old Man Henderson or a sweet kindly grandmother like Lilly or a child or a lesbian or a slack jawed moron. Other games would have just assumed you were a man ala Baldur's Gate but Fallout restricted you JUST ENOUGH to tell their story.

Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas remembered this lesson.
I still think that games should be free from romances, as they're going to fail it badly.

I still think that games should be free from romances, as they're going to fail it badly.

My view is romance and sex are as much a part of the human experience as anything. So, if you're willing to risk Wasteland Herpes, you should have the option.

Better that than causal murder and no romance.

That I enjoy the first person shooting combat of Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas more than tactical turn based combat which forms a SUBSTANTIAL portion of Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 games does not, in fact, necessitate I don't enjoy roleplaying or the world.
If you want a first person RPG then play a franchise that was intended to be one, like Deus Ex. To say that Fallout 1 is inferior to Skyrim or Fallout 3 just because it's turn-based is just absurd.
Fallout is beautiful for its lore, story...
Says the person ranking Failout 3 above both F1 and F2 :roll:

If you want an a first person RPG then play a franchise that was intended to be one, like Deus Ex. To say that Fallout 1 is inferior to Skyrim or Fallout 3 just because it's turn-based is just absurd.

No, I enjoy Fallout 3 more. I only think Fallout 1 is inferior to Fallout 2 because the options are so much more.

Says the person ranking Failout 3 above both F1 and F2 :roll:

I also love the visuals and characters more too. Tandi and Aradesh aside.

Plus, I love the Enclave more than the Unity.

However, I offer the fact I might change my opinion as I replay.

Last edited:
IIRC that was the reason why Chris Avellone never really made romance stories in his games due to a dislike of traditional romance stories. Many of the romances in his games often end with some form of unrequited love and tragedy while the rest are more complex intra-personal relationships.

Even his TV Tropes page states something along those lines: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Creator/ChrisAvellone

IIRC that was the reason why Chris Avellone never really made romance stories in his games due to a dislike of traditional romance stories. Many of the romances in his games often end with some form of unrequited love and tragedy while the rest are more complex intra-personal relationships.

Which is more than a little annoying as I liked Falls From Grace and Annah a great deal.

Back