What have you bought during this Winter sale?

The Dutch Ghost

Grouchy old man of NMA
Hello all,

Now being the holidays and last days before New Year's eve, various online stores such as Steam, GOG, Origin, etc, are having their Winter sales.
Most of these of course being titles that have been in their catalogs for years, but occasionally also some of the more recent sales.
And of course the indies.

So what titles did you bought during these sales?

I actually find it kind of hard these days to really determine which titles are to my interest, and I also still have a lot of older titles I still need to play and finish.

Addition: I was looking for titles I really want to play, and not just add to the library.

But I did want to make use of the current sales. I picked up a copy of a survival RPG for people who are not into the more hardcore survivalist games called Dysolate.
I liked how the gameplay sounded and the more colorful/less gray and brown colors.

Next to that I have also been looking at titles like Star Control Origins but feelings about this one are rather mixed on the RPG Codex.
I never played Star Control 2 so I do not know what to expect of this one.

Also, after watching a review by GGmanlives about this title, I picked up Urban Chaos Riot Response for the PS2.
It looks like a nice old FPS game.

Not really a sale but I also picked up Terminator Resistance - Annihilation Line.

Just Space Marine. If you guys did not buy Wasteland 3 get it now though because I think the sale is decent.

A Hat In Time
Beyond Good And Evil
Kao The Kangaroo 1, 2 and 3
New Super Lucky's Tale
Overlord II
Spyro Reignited Trilogy
Crash Bandicoot N'Sane Trilogy
Destroy All Humans
Chrono Trigger

The list of games I got is mostly because I was playing Psychonauts and I wanted more kid-friendly 3rd person adventure games.

I have money to spend so I could get more stuff but the problem is that I already have everything I have a proper interest for (let's say 60% interest) and everything else feels like "no, it can wait" or it is too expensive or it is just a sea of absolute trash that I'm wading through. I also have a backlog to get through and I feel like I've already padded it out more than enough with the games I've currently acquired. So Project Warlock for example is only 3,3 euro but is it really a good idea to throw it onto the pile of games I already got? Naaah. So it can wait.

I better just go buy kitchen utensils or something with the money I still got left over.

Just Space Marine. If you guys did not buy Wasteland 3 get it now though because I think the sale is decent.

I don't care for W40K but I liked Space Marine.

Regarding Wasteland 3, I have been on the fence about that one. I was not really a fan of Wasteland 2 despite backing its kickstarter.
When Wasteland 3 was released I decided to spoil the storyline for myself. It 'works' in a PA setting but it is not really one I enjoy.
And there is also something about the humor. A bit too Borderlandish here and there.

A couple of very good titles in that list Mr Fish. Chrono Trigger is one of my favorite JRPGs as there is some really fun world building in that, and I really should finish Overlord II as 1 was quite fun.
I'll get Psychonauts 2 when it is on sale.

I have money to spend so I could get more stuff but the problem is that I already have everything I have a proper interest for (let's say 60% interest) and everything else feels like "no, it can wait" or it is too expensive or it is just a sea of absolute trash that I'm wading through. I also have a backlog to get through and I feel like I've already padded it out more than enough with the games I've currently acquired. So Project Warlock for example is only 3,3 euro but is it really a good idea to throw it onto the pile of games I already got? Naaah. So it can wait.

I get you regarding already having most of the games already that you have an interest in and the rest of what you wrote on this topic.
I am in the same situation, as a result I find it very difficult to decide what additional games I would really like to get that I may actually end up playing. I already have so many titles on Steam and on GOG that I have not touched that it really irritates me that I spend good money on these or someone spend money on these on my behalf.

There have been some titles that I have bought that I already physically own.
But because my computer does not want to run them for some reason, or because having them digital is more convenient I decided to get them again.
Right now I am having this mental discussion regarding the Star Trek games on GOG. I would like to get them, but buying them all again would become quite expensive.

Right now there are also so many smaller titles on Steam and GOG that I am not sure if I should get them. Many of these are big unknowns to me as I have not been following the game industry in quite some time now outside a couple of titles.
I just really don't want to waste good money on something I won't play.

I better just go buy kitchen utensils or something with the money I still got left over.

Yeah, I have been having a conversation with Toront about something similar. Getting some useful stuff instead.

Best idea I got is to just line up your backlog and start going through it.
I've already gone through my backlog once and the reason for the new backlog is because my gaming days might be numbered due to how broken my left hand is so I'm going through the games I have and playing them potentially for the last time so I can finally get around to some games I've put off for years replaying like Dead Space. Only reason I got any games is because I just played Psychonauts and got real into 3rd person Kiddie platformer/adventure games. Otherwise I wouldn't buy anything.

And for me there are a bunch of games on GOG that I would like DRM free copies of that I already own on steam but.... I really don't want to have to shell out extra money for a DRM free copy of something I already own.

So being an adult and adulting around is the wiser decision. I have no idea what I should buy though. Probably a rug for the living room.

[edit]

I think the problem with a backlog of games you haven't played is that when you feel like playing a game it is easier to go with the "known" rather than the "unknown" and the only way to get through that is to put all games you know you love to the side and refuse to play them until you're done with the backlog.

Another thing that helped me with my first backlog was to simply say "no" to some things. So if a game didn't work? Fuck it, I've already wasted the money on it I can't refund it but I'll be damned if I'm gonna waste an hour or two just to get this thing working so in the trash folder you go. If I start a game and an hour in it hasn't hooked me? I ain't gonna play it "until it gets better" I have literally over a hundred games to get through I'm not gonna waste more time on something I do not enjoy.

Basically, hard cuts. No leniency. Fuck the backlog, I'm tired of it. Like I already have plenty of games that I consider 7's 8's or 9's (nothing's can be a 10) why waste time on a 4 or even a 5.5? I got shit to do and you ain't worth it, so in the bin with you. I even got so annoyed at it that I started removing games from my steam account (you can add them back later if you want to).

But I also didn't rush games, if I enjoyed something then I played it fully.

Once you are done with the backlog it feels a lot better. It's very freeing.

[edit2]

And I would argue for a second backlog trek when you're done with the first, and that is to only play a game once and then put it to the side until you're done with all the games you know you like, because how many of those games have been games you know you love but you haven't played for 5+ years? Maybe it's time to get around to them, maybe it's time to play them one last time and just permanently put them to the side.

And you might figure out that that one game you always put off isn't all that it is cracked up to be and that it was good to refresh your memory of it as now you can quit it, uninstall it and just ignore it.

[edit3]

Then the simply fact might just be that... You have the games you want.
If you're like me then you own the license to use hundreds of games.
So many games that you can't even get around to playing them all in a years time.
Maybe you just don't need any more games?
It's your brain going "but... It's a sale, I gotta make the most out of it"
But do you really need to?

Last edited:
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
Guilty Gear Strive
Total War: Warhammer I
Total War: Warhammer II

I haven't so much as touched Arcanum after creating my character and walking around the starting area. I have a hard time staying interested in fantasy (C)RPGs because of The Elder Scrolls.

In the last sale or so i bought Red dead redemption 2/The light remastered/State of decay 2 + both the DLC for grim dawn so i am kinda good!
But i am actually looking in to some games but not sure if i want to waste more money since i am unemployed until at least next month and that is uncertain.

If i buy anything it would maybe be the Warhammer 40k ARPG or quantum break/control.

I don't care for W40K but I liked Space Marine.

Regarding Wasteland 3, I have been on the fence about that one. I was not really a fan of Wasteland 2 despite backing its kickstarter.
When Wasteland 3 was released I decided to spoil the storyline for myself. It 'works' in a PA setting but it is not really one I enjoy.
And there is also something about the humor. A bit too Borderlandish here and there.

A couple of very good titles in that list Mr Fish. Chrono Trigger is one of my favorite JRPGs as there is some really fun world building in that, and I really should finish Overlord II as 1 was quite fun.
I'll get Psychonauts 2 when it is on sale.

I get you regarding already having most of the games already that you have an interest in and the rest of what you wrote on this topic.
I am in the same situation, as a result I find it very difficult to decide what additional games I would really like to get that I may actually end up playing. I already have so many titles on Steam and on GOG that I have not touched that it really irritates me that I spend good money on these or someone spend money on these on my behalf.

There have been some titles that I have bought that I already physically own.
But because my computer does not want to run them for some reason, or because having them digital is more convenient I decided to get them again.
Right now I am having this mental discussion regarding the Star Trek games on GOG. I would like to get them, but buying them all again would become quite expensive.

Right now there are also so many smaller titles on Steam and GOG that I am not sure if I should get them. Many of these are big unknowns to me as I have not been following the game industry in quite some time now outside a couple of titles.
I just really don't want to waste good money on something I won't play.

Yeah, I have been having a conversation with Toront about something similar. Getting some useful stuff instead.
you were going to buy a Switch for one game though. It's 13 bucks for 60 to 90 hours.

Well you did convince me not to get a Switch :)

It is just that I got a bit burned with Wasteland 2
Wasteland 2 DC is fine if you aren't expecting Van Buren. You play it for the combat not the deep lore. Wasteland 3 actually has a good story.

Well I give you that Wasteland 3's plot is definitely an improvement over that of Wasteland 2.
I felt it was a bad idea of bringing the Cochise AI back, once again threatening what is left of human civilization.

I think the Children of the Citadel would have been better as just another random faction in the wasteland, Cochise's children or legacy.

I kind of had hoped that the storyline of Wasteland 3, getting the aid of the Patriarch would have been a set up for a larger mission of importance, just like how searching for the water chip or the GECK would eventually get the player to run into the Unity or the Enclave.
I would have been happy if the big reveal would have been that the Patriarch was planning something against Arizona, or that there was something that was a threat greater than the Patriarch's children or something of even greater importance.
The twist that suddenly gets you by surprise and really makes you engaged in the plot.

Mind you, it doesn't have to be like in for example Mass Effect where it felt that the writers were making shit up as they went along.

I found the combat in Wasteland 2 a bit repetitive and dull sometimes because I knew that whenever I visited a new location that I would probably most of the time just be shooting things.
And with the random useless junk as loot/reward it made the combat feel very unrewarding.

Great, I shoot a bunch of bandits that depleted most of my party's health and I get a sack of marbles and used condoms as a reward.
Why can't I get these guys' guns, remaining ammo, and armor?

upload_2021-12-27_11-59-17.png

Kenshi seems so strange. Had to get it. I'm about to go on a Final Fantasy bender between FFXIV and these two.

I got No Man's Sky; not through the sales, but with donation points from the Nexus. I have a friend that watched me playing it, and HE got it on sale from GOG. Now I can't stop myself. Want better ship/gun/base/inventory slots/wealth/etc. I may need an intervention.

:help:

Scarlett Nexus, Dead Red Redemption 2, Marvel vs Capcom 3 and the Mass Effect bundle of Legendary and Andromeda.

Kenshi seems so strange. Had to get it. I'm about to go on a Final Fantasy bender between FFXIV and these two.

A old member of NMA gifted me a copy of Kenshi.
I really should give it a try.

I got No Man's Sky; not through the sales, but with donation points from the Nexus. I have a friend that watched me playing it, and HE got it on sale from GOG. Now I can't stop myself. Want better ship/gun/base/inventory slots/wealth/etc. I may need an intervention.

:help:

At least you enjoy it.
Perhaps I should look into it now. I was dissuaded from getting when I heard that the game was very flawed when it was just released.
That was rather disappointed as I thought it looked interesting.

At least you enjoy it.
Perhaps I should look into it now. I was dissuaded from getting when I heard that the game was very flawed when it was just released.
That was rather disappointed as I thought it looked interesting.
I felt exactly the same way, wondering if Bugthesda was secretly behind it. :razz: There was a lot of hype and undelivered promises at first. However, they kept working on the game and continue to release updates. According to everything I was reading, they eventually delivered on all their early promises and then some. Still has a few minor bugs here and there. What game doesn't?

Hey! It's the best free game I ever had!

Edit: I've only been playing this game for 2 weeks. HOW HAVE PLAYED 88 HOURS ALREADY?! :help:

Last edited:
Decided to get State Of Decay 2 as well because it might suit a certain itch of mine but I decided to look through Steam again and found a bunch of games that I was at first considering but as I went through them I just felt like they could all wait as there's no rush as I wouldn't be able to get around to them for maybe even half a year. I keep coming back to the sales and looking through them because I feel like I ought to buy something but the logic in me keeps talking med own.

Like Black Mesa looks neat, can't really replay HL1 because of how dated it is, I just don't find the gameplay engaging anymore or the horror segments scary. But will I play it after the current games I'm playing? Nope. Does it fill a specific niche, an itch I need to scratch? Nope. It's just neat. So won't be buying it.

Dark Souls Remastered seems like a good convenience so I don't have to bother with DSFix anymore but a 20euro convenience? Nope.

Assassin's Creed Origins is pretty cheap and I enjoyed it on the Xbox One but... Why buy it on another system when I already have it on the console? It would be better to play with m+k with my fucky wucky hand but I still can't justify buying something again even with money to burn.

Undertale is 3 euro, so figured I might as well finally get that game, see what the hubub is about. But... I mean, I ain't getting any free time for it anytime soon so why bother? It's not going anywhere. It's not like it is a flash sale or anything.

Like Black Mesa looks neat, can't really replay HL1 because of how dated it is, I just don't find the gameplay engaging anymore or the horror segments scary. But will I play it after the current games I'm playing? Nope. Does it fill a specific niche, an itch I need to scratch? Nope. It's just neat. So won't be buying it.

Bought it ages ago since i wanted to play half life again but not really in the mood to replay a game i have finished so many times. It has some good parts but overall i would probably just look for some upgrade mods for HL1 instead.

I got it a while back and while initially it was fun to play again, at some point I just grew bored with it and just did not want to play it any more.

I do not know how to describe why I don't want to play it. It is not as if it is a bad game or anything, I think it updated Half Life very well.
But I also would not play Half Life 2 any more either.

Back