What would you rather see...

Swiffness

First time out of the vault
Upon reading all this controversey. I must say I'm curious to try BOS. Why? Because I'm the type of guy that likes to play bad games just to laugh at how dismal they are...(there's no way in hell I'd buy it tho)

But lately I've been getting the feeling that BOS isn't as much of a bad game as it is an AVERAGE game...therin lying the problem it has with the fans. The Fallout games have never been "average", they've been classics.

If the story/setting changes made in BOS were exactly the same, but it were a KICK ASS action shoot-em-up that puts Max Payne to shame, I'd have to believe that the Fallout community would be more receptive to it.

Then again, what if Chuck & Co made BOS an even WORSE game, (I'm talking Daikatana/BattleCruiser 3000 bad), but followed the Fallout mythos?

What would you as fans rather see?

I'd label it as a cross between dikatanna, a handful of maggots and a steaming pile of dog shit.

If your into mindlessly shooting things. over an over and over and over... pausing occasionally to get a tidbit of storyline... this game is for you..

If you have a fucking brain in your head. Dont waste your time.

If it came down to a choice between playing this game again (and i only made it halfway through before taking the copy i had, a rented copy at that, to the indoor fireing range and using it for target practice with my 1911 .45) and swallowing a handful of tiny shards of broken glass. I'd eat the glass. It's less painful.

Swiffness said:
What would you as fans rather see?

No F:BOS. No whoring out of the Fallout name. No console action-based pseudo-RPGs. No first person shooter Fallouts.

In other words: Fallout 3.

yikes

Geez, what's with all the action game bashing? Some of the best games ever made were mindless shooters with no storyline. Doom, Unreal Tournament, etc. etc.

Remember I'm asking WHAT IF. As in WHAT IF it were a good game, etc. We all know that it sucks in reality.

If the story and setting actually had anything to do with the FO universe, instead of being tasteless and juvenile, I think FO fans might have been more receptive to it, despite it being mediocre and repetitive gameplay wise.

If you left the setting the same, but the gameplay was actually fun or innovative, it would still leave a bad taste in the mouth of everyone who played the originals.

But sometimes you can't separate the setting and gameplay quality. The game just a piece of shit anyway you looked at it.

There's no problem with action games. Well, if they are designed well, that is. If they are made to be boring, with moves that aren't effective, auto-lock-on systems that are laughable compared to those that were out years ago (and to compensate for poor design), and completely offered something less than what could be expected from a game a few years back, then it's a crap action game.

Imagine UT with a half-ass jump or dodge. Does that remotely seem fun? F:POS isn't an average game by a long shot. It takes mechanics found in many other games and kludges them together with a thin piece of masking tape with "Fallout" written upon it.

If F:POS was actually good, then the fans would be receptive to it. I've noticed that Fallout fans play other genres, but mostly I've seen one thing. They don't like crap. They tend to like good and/or innovative games for a purpose, because it is like taking a bite of good marinated London broil. When you receive a game box full of crap with the added insult that the developer bent a fresh biscuit into the discussion of the design, then you'll understand how poor this game can be and really is.

As it would stand, I would suggest Norrath long before this game, and if you need a console killing game, I would suggest many others, they aren't that hard to find.

Well, the crappy ones that have little hype behind them are hard to find, as I've noticed F:POS has been missing from shelves of Best Buy, Circuit City, and especially EB. Maybe because it's easy for even retailers to understand how shit a game is.

hm

That's it, I'm gonna shell out the 5 bucks to rent it. If its complete crap like everyone is saying, I wanna see for myself.

Re: hm

Swiffness said:
That's it, I'm gonna shell out the 5 bucks to rent it. If its complete crap like everyone is saying, I wanna see for myself.

Brace yourself for the first chapter in particular.....

It's really not even an Average game, Swiftness. It's mediocre at best. Seriously.

I had more fun playing Baulder's Gate: Dark Alliance, with its mindless hack and slashing. Somehow, in "skinning" BG:DA to make FO:POS (which I swear is all they did), they managed to water the gameplay down.

I do agree, though, that if the game was actually a good one, we wouldn't be bitching as much.

I played the beginning alittle and it was enough.

My big problem besides the obvious name whoring is the fact that the game really sucks.

I mean IPLAY does own the Fallout name, couldn't they have tried to splice in original Fallout music instead of this (its cool rock stuff nonsense).

Also I don't think it is very difficult to produce a shooter that isn't punishing the player with mindless shoot the baddie, collect the key, backtrack for a year, rinse and repeat concept.

Back