What's Your Favorite Redesign in Fallout 4?

TheKingofVault14

Fallout Fan For Life!
The redesigns being the one's for the enemies, such as the wasteland creatures and rogue robots.
Personally for me, my favorite redesign in Fallout 4 is the one for the Sentry Bots.
Talk about an upgrade y'all!
Lumii_20230509_133747345.jpg

They're way more intimidating with that design, than the one that they had in Fallout 3 & New Vegas! Well, at least in my book. ;-)

* WARNING INCOMING RANT *
But TBH with you all, I quite frankly have some gripes with the art and tone shift between Fallout 3 & 4.
There are a lot of things in Fallout 4 that grinds my gears, and one of them is the art style change, a lot of the redesigns in the game look ugly to me. And it really took away the dark and gritty feeling from Fallout 3, which is one of the aspects that I loved about that game. I just don't understand why they had to change em like that for 4, it never sat right with me, and it STILL doesn't after nearly 8 years since the game's release.
* END OF RANT *

Sorry, I got carried away there, :grin: I'm probably gonna go more in depth with that discussion in another post some time. But for now, back to the topic at hand! :cool:

So yeah, what's your favorite redesign for Fallout 4?

The death of Adam Adamowicz was probably the main reason for the art shift.

I can’t really think of anything that looks better in Fallout 4, though that sentry bot does look a little closer to the Fallout 2 version than the Fallout 3/New Vegas one. I mostly liked the brand new designs, like the varied mirelurk forms (though I prefer the strange alien mirelurks of 3). In fact, all of Bethesda’s insectoid designs look pretty good to me.

But the standard mirelurk of Fallout 4 is a ripped off asset of some other game if I remember correctly.

Absolutely, if Fallout 3 had anything going for it, it was the fact that Adam Adamowicz understood Fallout's aesthetic enough to bring something new to the table that's still recognizable to the franchise from afar. His untimely passing was really the nail in the coffin for Bethesda in terms of understanding Fallout.

So yeah, what's your favorite redesign for Fallout 4?

I will say though, I love 4/76's jumpsuit design. Never cared for the baggy boiler suit (it's not the worst thing in the world, but very off-putting when wearing New Vegas' Vault 13 jumpsuit), and Fallout 4's Vault suit looks to me exactly how Fallout 1 and 2's did (I hate the unnecessary ridges going down the arms though and I wish they kept the Vault number font the same as the originals.)

aBK5p.jpg

Yeah, I knew that was one of the reasons. (sadly)
But the thing that I don't get, is why did they have to change the overall TONE of the art style instead keeping the darker, grittier tone that Adam did in Fallout 3? And BTW, I'm not saying that they should've outright copyed Adam's art style, that's not what I'm getting at! Plus I don't think anybody could've replicated Adam's style, he was that unique and talented at his artwork.
However, I do think that they should've kept the vibe consistent with Adam's art style, you know, in order to honor his memory. It would've been way better for them to do that instead of whatever the heck they did with the final product!

:-(

But TBH with you all, I quite frankly have some gripes with the art and tone shift between Fallout 3 & 4.
I have gripes with the art shift from Fallout 2 to FO3 & 4. Historical artifacts and relics bear no resemblance to how they appeared in the first games—despite owning the IP.

The modern Mr. Handy (for instance), looks nothing like the robot from the first game, but are considered the very same machines; it would have been trivial to depict them more accurately.

Handy-Comparison.jpg

Handy-house4.jpg

... And how could they have gotten the Enclave armor wrong in FO3? [see link in SIG]

I don't really like it when anything is "redesigned" as to me it just means that there is lore continuity error in terms of how things look (and potentially act), however if I could have the former thing AND the new thing? Then I very much like Mr Handy/Gutsy. Mr Handy (old) should have been the workbot, Mr Gutsy should have been the newer design, with a sleeker design meant for maneuverability so it can keep up in combat and/or pursuit.

My least favorite "redesign" might be the molerat. It looks like a hybrid of the actual molerat and the pigrat.

I rather like the newer Mr. Handy design, moreso than the original to be honest. What I don’t like is how they gave the Mr. Handy robots personalities like with Codsworth. They can cry now? Judge your actions and morality? Why does a robot butler need to be lecturing me on morality in the post-apocalypse. If I say jump they should jump, that’s what a robot butler does.

I don’t mind the Mr. Gutsy prerecorded lines that make them sound like a hardass general, they’re just combat barks. But giving them whole spectrum of emotion is stupid.

Yeah if a super computer requires an entire room then I don't expect robots to have personalities.
I like protectron's because they are clearly just spouting off lines of dialogue that's been prerecorded and assigned to fit certain parameters.
I don't like it when protectron's are "quirky" tho.

I rather like the newer Mr. Handy design, moreso than the original to be honest.
That's valid, but it's still wrong. —— :mrgreen:

No... but of course I get it, everyone has a preference, but these are all pre-established designs—they exist in the timeline as they were, that's what they look like; it's not about having cool or even superior designs. It's retconning series' history; it's akin to redesigning Abraham Lincoln to look like a fashion model in the history books——and then teaching it.

Lincoln.jpg

As Mr. Fish said, there could have been both, with the older one looking plausibly enough like the original... because it's the original robot model.

Last edited:
There are some things I prefer about the Fo3 Preotectron, but the Fo4 Protectrons are pretty neat. I like the modular armor design of all of the robots in Fallout 4, where as they lose health their innards are more and more exposed.

I rather like the newer Mr. Handy design, moreso than the original to be honest. What I don’t like is how they gave the Mr. Handy robots personalities like with Codsworth. They can cry now? Judge your actions and morality? Why does a robot butler need to be lecturing me on morality in the post-apocalypse. If I say jump they should jump, that’s what a robot butler does.

I don’t mind the Mr. Gutsy prerecorded lines that make them sound like a hardass general, they’re just combat barks. But giving them whole spectrum of emotion is stupid.
If anything, the 3/4 design should be the domestic Mr. Handy, and the old Mr. Handy should be for industrial purposes. Possibly the Gutsy should be somewhere between the two.

If anything, the 3/4 design should be the domestic Mr. Handy, and the old Mr. Handy should be for industrial purposes. Possibly the Gutsy should be somewhere between the two.
I could definitely see F1 & F2 Mr. Handy being industrial types. They look very beefy and the fact that they operate weaponry like tools rather than have it built-in like the Mr. Gutsy could’ve even pointed to the Mr. Gutsy being a relatively late-war invention that didn’t see mass production before the war. I don’t follow Bethesda lore much so I don’t know the official Mr. Gutsy production lore, but I could definitely see it that way.

Last edited:
That's valid, but it's still wrong. —— :mrgreen:

No... but of course I get it, everyone has a preference, but these are all pre-established designs—they exist in the timeline as they were, that's what they look like; it's not about having cool or even superior designs. It's retconning series' history; it's akin to redesigning Abraham Lincoln to look like a fashion model in the history books——and then teaching it.

Trust me, as a Star Trek fan I’m 100% all for visual canon being maintained. It’s one of the major reasons I don’t care for a lot of the newer game’s designs for a lot of things and I would have liked to see Bethesda/Obsidian maintain more of a unified look (especially with the vault suits — and even more especially for specifically the Vault 13 armored jumpsuit), however, on a mere design level I simply prefer the new look more.

As Mr. Fish said, there could have been both, with the older one looking plausibly enough like the original... because it's the original robot model.

That would be very neat, I agree with this.

Also, I miss the fact that Robobrains brought out a fucken shotgun in combat.
It's way more fun than just boring lasers.

"oh hey, I wonder what this robot will do in comb- Oh shit he's strapped!"

I think the sentry bot is one of the few designs that does look more imposing than in 3 & New Vegas. The new animation rigs and all that also help it as it shows the kind of speed something like that should have along with the moving treads and all that. I'd also give it to the Robobrains, though the whole eye in the middle thing irks me a touch so I guess I'm not exactly in love with it.

Back