Who is the best Fallout developer?

Negativity

Take a dirt nap
I made a video just now ranking the Fallout developers:

However I was curious what NMA believe are the best developers. My guess is you'll pick either Interplay, Black Isle or Obsidian.

Reactions: hag
f1d~01.jpg

Bethesda has nothing to do with Fallout, how can they be in a thread about Fallout devs? As for the first, it's not black isle, it's not a company. It's Tim Cain.

I mean, I guess you could be considering the individuals involved in the teams at the time, which is fair. I also understand this is your own personal ranking and opinion, which is fine but I disagree with a lot of it.
I wouldn't lower the ranking of a studio/publisher/developer just because they've done less with the series. Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect. Unless I missed or misheard something, you ranked Interplay higher for being involved with Fallout 2 and Tactics and Bethesda higher for choosing Obsidian. I guess you can make a case of that they still have a say in how things are done but I just wouldn't do that.

I don't really have an order myself but rather people. If you put Tim Cain, Leonard Boyarsky, Chris Avellone, Josh Sawyer all at the head of a department for developing Fallout games at Bethesda (and let them have decent freedoms making this game), I'd bet I'd enjoy those Fallout games more even though it has the name Bethesda on it. I don't care which company it is as much as I care who is doing the work and making the game.

EDIT: I'd also like to congratulate you on doing fairly well on Youtube. I haven't seen your channel before but those numbers are pretty good. Best of luck to you.

I was joking but they definitely don't belong first. Black Isle does. Part of me wants to pick Microforte to be a contrarian.
I didn't think Black isle deserved it, I mean they only really created Fallout 2, which isn't as good as Fallout 1 in my opinion.

Bethesda has nothing to do with Fallout, how can they be in a thread about Fallout devs? As for the first, it's not black isle, it's not a company. It's Tim Cain.
How do Bethesda not have anything to do with Fallout? they're a game developer, I think you're getting them confused with zenimax?

I mean, I guess you could be considering the individuals involved in the teams at the time, which is fair. I also understand this is your own personal ranking and opinion, which is fine but I disagree with a lot of it.
I wouldn't lower the ranking of a studio/publisher/developer just because they've done less with the series. Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect. Unless I missed or misheard something, you ranked Interplay higher for being involved with Fallout 2 and Tactics and Bethesda higher for choosing Obsidian. I guess you can make a case of that they still have a say in how things are done but I just wouldn't do that.

I don't really have an order myself but rather people. If you put Tim Cain, Leonard Boyarsky, Chris Avellone, Josh Sawyer all at the head of a department for developing Fallout games at Bethesda (and let them have decent freedoms making this game), I'd bet I'd enjoy those Fallout games more even though it has the name Bethesda on it. I don't care which company it is as much as I care who is doing the work and making the game.

EDIT: I'd also like to congratulate you on doing fairly well on Youtube. I haven't seen your channel before but those numbers are pretty good. Best of luck to you.
I chose Interplay because they helped the Fallout series exist, actually there's a massive history surrounding Fallouts creation and how it was almost cancelled. I really liked Interplay for their pro consumer outlook, until they ran out of money that is. The reason they weren't first is because they drove the series into the ground, oh and they cancelled the original Fallout 3. I've got to agree though the greatest individual Fallout dev is Tim Cain, I'm pretty sure he is the reason both Fallout 1 and 2 were successful.

And thanks for the congratulations. Youtube is still a hobby, but maybe one day I can make something of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason they weren't first is because they drove the series into the ground, oh and they cancelled the original Fallout 3.
It was Titus who canceled Fallout 3, not Interplay.
Titus had acquired the majority of Interplay and canceled Fallout 3, because they decided to only make games for the console market.

I'm leaning towards The Old Gang (Black Isle and Obsidian, with someone like Tim Cain (Also imported much of Fallout aspects to Arcanum, including Brahmin in a Tarant museum, old world civilization ruins in the wasteland and Water Chip parody quest), Feargus Urquart and co.) over Betty.
The only thing I like about Beth is a fluid realtime combat system while the first two Fallout resolves combats in Turn-base only and it takes some time to get familiar with. in Beth's engine Fallout games, hit is hit, miss is miss. no chances percentages since hit or miss is graphically displayed. ... yet I did finish Fallout 1

reatest individual Fallout dev is Tim Cain, I'm pretty sure he is the reason both Fallout 1 and 2 were successful.
He left partway through 2 IIRC, but helped design the Den?
And I still stand by my disagreement with how you decided to rank them but that's your video and your opinion on how to do it.
Youtube is still a hobby, but maybe one day I can make something of it.
I was commenting mostly on your bigger videos that had about 60k views? I feel like if you made more videos like that you probably could. Those other videos of playing the games could probably be done better in a Twitch or secondary Youtube environment for subs that don't want to see that from you.
I could give you more pointers of what I think, if you want them, message me directly.

Tim Cain, Leonard Boyarsky, Jason Anderson and Chris Taylor are the absolutely best. The Black Isle team did a good job. Obsidian could've done better but were shackled, so understandably they didn't.

^ Betty put too much constrains on Obsidian that not only they must use Fallout 3 engine (not just Gamebryo or reworks on an engine as a whole), but also storylines to continue what happened in Fallout 3, uses many graphical resources from that game as possible (too bad Chinese Assault Rifle wasn' a working weapon, existed only as a destroyed weapon in a quest,) and that's why Enclave Remnants did come to exists (with Kruger wears the same uniform Enclave Officer did in F3, but other members wear F2 power armor. and heck. no Black Isle era weapon designs, only what seen in F3... N99 is 10mm pistol and not Colt 6520 (Is it revolver or autoloader pistol?), boxy Laser weapons rather than PPSh/Sniper Rifle-lookalikes, Enclave F3 Eyebots instead of what seen in The Glow, no vehicle driving (nor fixing), Obsidian did workaround this constrains with factions system (Returned from New Reno part of Fallout 32) and much of Van Buren concepts revised and reworked )

It was Titus who canceled Fallout 3, not Interplay.
Titus had acquired the majority of Interplay and canceled Fallout 3, because they decided to only make games for the console market.
Yeah that's a good point but It was still technically Interplay if I'm allowed to get away with it. Also I think Brian Fargo was still acting CEO?

He left partway through 2 IIRC, but helped design the Den?
I think he wrote the entire story arc for Fallout 2

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh! I've forgot! One thing Obsidian did right in New Vegas is how they conclude the Enclave Remnants fate with them to move on on thier life. and how they became after they lost Oil Rig and Navarro. and how they moved over FEV --Fallout New Vegas is the only canon game in the franchise to exclude FEV completely though it might have been included should Orion Moreno portion to recruit the Remnants has been extended (if Obsidian is given at least six months more) ... Moreno still clinges to the Enclave and had a strong hatred towards Cannibal Johnson (he who saw as a traitor), his hatred towards NCR has always remain strong and ultimately wants revenge... total destruction of NCR is what he wants (but i'm not sure if player invited them to side with NCR he can be persuaded later on)... there should be a quest for a player to go to Mariposa (via Vertibird, also must talk to Daisy) and acquire FEV sample and find a scientist to make another Curling strain (That needs ANOTHER remnants because Doc Henry won't do that! but he interested in a possibility to use FEV to reverse mutations instead. he might create this strain if FEV is handed over to him) and then return this to him... This will affect the Endgame quests where player (or Moreno if he accompanies player) must go to the spillway to install an infecting apparatus there (is it possible that a virus can go upstream? given that spillway water flow is very strong) But that's still a complicated matter so Obsidian chose to exclude this virus completely (not even in Big Empty did the experiment took place) and reintroduced Nightkin instead (and what happened to the oldschool Supermutants 120 years AFTER Vault Dweller defeated The Master and shattered his Unity.), where nightkins turned out to develop their mental disorders.

I think he wrote the entire story arc for Fallout 2
Maybe but I know he left before everything was done for sure, so he may have had the initial story written without us ever knowing how much was retained or not.
That's just the way things go with this kinda stuff though lol.

Maybe but I know he left before everything was done for sure, so he may have had the initial story written without us ever knowing how much was retained or not.
That's just the way things go with this kinda stuff though lol.
Doesn't it make you wonder if Van Buran would have been any good, without Tim Cains input. It seems to me that Tim Cain was Fallout.

We owe the whole thing to Tim Cain, Jason Anderson, Leonard Boyarsky and the key members of Fallout original team. Yet, i think the greatest additions come from MCA, who wasn't amongs them.

Dunno what to make of Joshua Sawyer. The guy seems to gather a lot of hate, but he was a key part of Van Buren and New Vegas, and it was the last game that would make sense being called Fallout.

Back