Who's the Biggest liar in the gaming industry?

Who is the "the master of the sweet little lies"

• Total voters

Mr muggyman 3000

Lover of coffe cups
Who in y'all a opinion is the biggest liar in the gaming industry? I personally believe it's sean Murray he completely lied about everything, in no man sky. Good old toddy boy is pretty bad to, but definitely not as bad, as Sean, or peter.

I guess I don't follow any of these developers close enough to decide who the biggest liar is. Todd Howard seems full of typical PR BS but I don't know if he lies any more than any other big company does. Molyneux definitely seems to be a huge liar though I guess it doesn't bothered me since I never really had much interest in any of his games. When it comes to games (AAA in particular) it is best to avoid the hype machine as much as possible and wait for for a bunch of reviews to come out; although you can't always trust those either at least there's Steam / GOG reviews to help you avoid the biggest disappointments.

Not sure what the deal is with No Man's Sky as I don't understand what people were excited about in the first place. Even if it had everything that was promised it still sounds like a snoozefest to me.

Sean Murray, hands down.

The guy hypes his game into epic proportions, never acknowledged the actual structure of his game and pretty much ran away with all his cash after the game came out.

Look, Todd might be a little business-man-y, whatever, Sean Murray was a Hamburgler copy-cat.

I have no fucking idea who Randy Pitchford is, but I'm not entirely sure 'liar' is the appropriate term for a lot of these people. Like, Todd Howard's just a frat bro in nerd's clothing who thinks way too highly of himself, I'm reserving judgment on Sean Murray concerning No Man's Sky until more information comes out from Hello Games themselves but he might be just a shithead, Peter Molyneaux is senile and thinks video games are things that they're not, EA isn't a person, and I don't think Mr. Kojima is in control of that meat-puppet anymore.

Todd.
Sean has really only made one big title, so he hasn't really got a huge reputation for lying.
Plus, I don't know what people expected with NMS.

Peter Molyneoux at least made decent games, even if his more recent stuff if pretty bad. Plus he is a pretty decent guy (I've met him at a conference).

Kojima isn't really known for lying, and if he is, it's mostly to make a point. Like the lie is part of his games (although I don't how much this was intentional with MGSV).

EA are somewhat improving, but alas, I haven't cared about them for about a decade outside of Bioware (and even then, I've given up on Bioware).

I don't care or know much about Randy to really comment.

Peter Molyneoux at least made decent games, even if his more recent stuff if pretty bad. Plus he is a pretty decent guy (I've met him at a conference).
Wait, he actually made decent games outside of the first (and only good) Fable game?

What, that the dude from RPS is a massive cocknozzle?

I think that the reason he was so harsh with Peter Molyneoux is because he has been getting away with telling VERY tall tails for years and nobody has ever called him out on it, every single time he slags off his last title to further promote the latest one.

'We screwed up last time, this time we got it right etc. the reason features didn't make it is because of somebody else etc'

But I think he got a real rough ride for screwing people over on Kickstarter, which is understandable. Promising features is not quite as bad as full on buillshitting people on Kickstarter, especially when you are a multi-millionaire and you could fund the game yourself in a blink of an eye. Not cool.

I do think the article was probably a little harsh if I'm honest but he did kinda bring it on himself.

Todd Howard. He lies often and he lies big.

"Fallout 3 has 200 endings"

It actually has one ending. Then they retconned the ending so now it has zero endings.

Sean Murray deserves some kind of BS award. Molyneux does too. The thing with both of them is I can't tell to what extent they're deliberate, manipulative liars, and to what extent they're deluded and lacking self awareness and functional critical faculties. In other words: they're typical corporate marketing types.

I don't think Todd would even be in the running if Beth didn't own the Fallout IP. I don't see how his schilling is any different than what is done by every spokesperson for every company. Molyneux (and maybe Murray) is much more scary and dangerous, because I think he believes most of what he says.

Also, where's Chris Roberts? Isn't he Murray on steroids? Has anybody else convinced people to pay thousands of dollars for pretend ships in a vaporware product? (I do think they'll eventually release a game with some playability, but that could be years away.)

I say Murray, I'd like to say todd outta spite, but Murray was vague by choice in all inteviews and he told blatant lies about the game.

Peter Molyneux is like... I dunno... more of an ''exaggerator'' than a liar. He is the master of overhyping his belief for a game. I remember how he was so excited about the touch/handhold mechanic in fable 3, he seems to tell of his ''hopes'' for his games instead of the actual content... And the original Fable...well Peter said a lot of stuff would exist even though it didn't.
(that being said... I like Fable 1 due to the british humor(Jack of Blades...that name...it still cracks me up) and nostalgia.)

Peter Molyneux is pretty good at telling things which turn out not to be true, but I also would hesitate to call him a liar for it. Maybe I am being naive, but in his case I find it hard to ascribe bad intentions to him. He probably really believes most of the stuff he says himself... also, adimtteldy I think I have a soft spot for him because back in the day he was responsible for some legit awesome games like Syndicate or Dungeon Keeper. From what I gathered without playing No Man's Sky, Murray seems to be pretty high up...but as someone who was disappointed in most things Bethesda-related Fallout I'm gotta say Howard after all.

Peter Molyneux is pretty good at telling things which turn out not to be true, but I also would hesitate to call him a liar for it. Maybe I am being naive, but in his case I find it hard to ascribe bad intentions to him. He probably really believes most of the stuff he says himself... also, adimtteldy I think I have a soft spot for him because back in the day he was responsible for some legit awesome games like Syndicate or Dungeon Keeper. From what I gathered without playing No Man's Sky, Murray seems to be pretty high up...but as someone who was disappointed in most things Bethesda-related Fallout I'm gotta say Howard after all.
I feel almost the exact way about Molyneux, he seems to believe what he says ^^

Back