Why Does Bethesda Make Fallout Games So Buggy?

The King of The Worms

First time out of the vault
A very common trend Bethesda does is they make these games with huge worlds and lots of quests and things to do but no matter what they add in these games they always end up filled with bugs we're talking falling thru the world scripts not working areas not loading etc. Why does Bethesda do this I mean you'd think with the titles they have the rights to you would hope they would care just a little bit? Well from my own personal opinion I think they care to a point that point being "How do we get more money out of this?" See Bethesda knows that their games have some of the hugest modding communities out there people are still modding for Fallout 3 with a new mod posted daily on Nexus. Now a normal gamer would see this and say "Well could you blame them I mean why flesh out problems that other people are gonna fix?" Well i'll tell you the problems and why this business practice is down right deplorable. "In list fashion of course"

1. They're making they're buyers fix something they should be fixing

There's a common phrase that goes "If it ain't broke don't fix it." Normally this would mean if something has no problems why bother fixing them however Bethesda I believe take this and use it in there own way there way being "Hey why fix something when other people will fix it for us for free!" Name one Fallout game made by Bethesda that didn't have an unofficial patch ready to fix their buggy games exactly. It's not like Bethesda releases many patches either so good luck hoping they'll fix it.

Untitled design (1).png

2. They don't care about Fallout

Lets be honest between Fallout and The Elder Scrolls which do you think is Bethesda's favorite child? Fallout to Bethesda was just a quick way to get a quick buck heck compared to what Microsoft payed for Minecraft Bethesda got the Fallout franchise at a low price compared to what it was actually worth. So now that they have the franchise why not milk it for all it's worth I mean who's gonna stop them for making a mediocre game from a beloved franchise? Now it's well known that Fallout 3 and Oblivion were made with the same engine so you'd think they would seem the same from a graphics stand point. Now while you're thinking that take a look at these screenshots then tell me which one you think Bethesda point more care into.

Untitled design (1).png

3. They need more money

So we get that Bethesda doesn't fix these games because modders will fix it for them "But hey at least mods are free!" Well see you'd be wrong there to. Now i'm making a prediction it's a wild one but still I think it has some truth for it. By the time we get Another Elder Scrolls game Bethesda will be make modding the equivalent to small DLC. Most people think it's impossible for a dev to keep from modding their game but that's where you'd be wrong. Take 2K's WWE games for example yeah you can download superstars and arena's etc but good luck adding a graphical improvement mod or a mod that makes wrestlers blow up. Developers can and some have kept people from adding mods to their games and with Bethesda's new Creation Club I think it's just a hint at what we will see from them in the near future.

Untitled design (1).png

Conclusion

Now I could be totally wrong and I've probably made a couple mistakes so please give your input on this subject or tell me to kill myself either way I'd like to keep this discussion going.

i dont really find many of there games to have enough quests or content. their game worlds feel... empty and criminally underdeveloped. but fuck their manipulating a 15 year old engine to do shit its not really capable of doing. its impressive in a way but fuck their games are like a puppet show that somehow results in a game.

Yeah true but they are still better than the first fallouts for me or at least. I liked the story in the first ones but I hated the combat system and the overall game mechanics. The most glitchy area I found on fallout 3 was the broken bow part of rivet city. The people from rivet city randomly spawn under there for some reason and when I was attacked by the creatures under there I was knocked outside of the wall and glitched into the void.

I remember the total count for fixes in the unofficial Oblivion patch was more than 20 000 (lots of object realignment, and such, minor things)

but yeah, here's the thing:

you allready gave them money so why should they fix it? Why? Fixing it means work hours, which means salaries, which they could be spending on something more productive: Whatever product we will be paying for next. Which we will. And we do. And we did. And they got paid, again.

Here, let me fix that sentence for you: "Why does Bethesda makes games so buggy?"

It's not just Fallout games, it's ALL of their games. And no, it wasn't because they have the rights to, but it's because they're a bunch of lazy, incompetent fucks, that's why.

All Bethesda games are supremely buggy. Been that way since Daggerfall at least (never played Arena, but since you can finish Arena in basically a few minutes by abusing a huge bug I'm inclined to assume that it was also buggy as fuck).
They have tons of great visual artists, but their tech department is pretty shoddy.

Because it takes actual effort and they just let modders fix their shit because they are lazy assholes.

Because Bethesda high ranks hire buttbuddies and wives instead of normal employees. The most blunt reason why their games are so shitty.

I think you stretched the Fallout 3 image for the comparison between it and Oblivion. Not really fair to compare their graphical quality while showing an improperly sized image.

I think you stretched the Fallout 3 image for the comparison between it and Oblivion. Not really fair to compare their graphical quality while showing an improperly sized image.
Still he's not wrong.

But let's be honest the realy reason game companies don't care anymore is because rather than criticize a game for being buggy or having nonsensical story elenents. . . Modern fandoms just say lol and make a meme about it.

Googled "fallout memes"
This is literally the first result
good-game-fallout_o_1464947.jpg

bad game mechanics are acceptable too because lol
11417251_500147353466720_1931644012_n.jpg
So yeah... Why care when this is the attitude of the majority of your fanbase?

Besides Bethesda being lazy, i think it's just because they expect people to expect Bethesda game releases to be buggy. This is one of the main complaints with Bethesda releases but for some reason people just learned to expect it.

do they need moneys?
Within two days of the game's launch, 3.4 million physical copies were sold.
3400000 x $60 = $204 million in 2 days.
Bethesda shipped 12 million units to retailers within the first 24 hours
12000000 x $80 = $960 million in one day.

This addresses all of your points.

Take a guess what Bethesda will never get from me EVER AGAIN!!!

Stretched shit is still shit.

Because it takes actual effort and they just let modders fix their shit because they are lazy assholes.

They also stole the company from the original owner, along with his engine. Guess where the VR set came from... IDSoftware before they sued them for $500,000,000.00 and forced the company into the fold.

Why does Bethesda release buggy games? Simple, they don't care and let the community take care of it. It's a pretty asshole thing to do but it's what they do. As for them not caring, I disagree... The fallout franchise is one of their biggest cash-cows and I doubt that they don't care about that. But hey, I've been wrong before.

Back