Why does killing these synths count as murder?

Stefan

First time out of the vault
I've just checked the stats screen in my Pip Boy, and under "Crimes" it says that I've committed 3 murders. After looking through my save games, I can say that it is because I killed some of the synths in final room of ArcJet Systems, the room where you get the Deep Range Transmitter. This surprises me because killing any of the synths before does not count as murder, and the synths in the final room are hostile by default. Is there any lore reason behind this phenomenon, or is this just a bug, or something else? Please don't give a detailed answer if this involves spoiling me for the rest of the story, my progress in the game is only to the quest where you rescue Nick Valentine, which I haven't completed yet. I also haven't joined the Brotherhood yet, the mission to retrieve the transmitter was actually the last quest I finished.

That quest is not related to anything else, so I'm certain it's just a bug.

It may be related to

Paladin Danse

somewhat, but I don't think it's likely. Just consider it a bug and move on.

That quest is not related to anything else, so I'm certain it's just a bug.

It may be related to

Paladin Danse

somewhat, but I don't think it's likely. Just consider it a bug and move on.

Lol, by clicking on the Reply button, I was able to see what is hidden under Spoiler, but that's maybe okay. I'm just going to avoid thinking too much about what that could mean. That teaches me one lesson: Don't click on Reply when there's a spoiler button :-) Thanks anyway

Lol, by clicking on the Reply button, I was able to see what is hidden under Spoiler, but that's maybe okay. I'm just going to avoid thinking too much about what that could mean. That teaches me one lesson: Don't click on Reply when there's a spoiler button :-) Thanks anyway

Whoops! Sorry about that, I didn't know that was a thing.

#Synthlivesmatter

Yeah that has been there since Skyrim even if it was something hostile it still counted as murder.

What I hate (since Morrowind) is that when you attack or kill someone you're a god awful bastard who needs to be put down. When you get attacked no one cares.

Gotta love those double standards, I wonder if that'll ever be fixed.

It's already fixed, though. Oblivion and Skyrim had NPCs attack other NPCs that were attacking you, depending on how their AI was set up. Some just run away, and some (usually quest-relevant characters) just stand there not caring.

But most get in the rough and tumble too, which is how you get these events in Fallout 4 where you run a raider gang into a Brotherhood patrol and chaos ensues, even though they weren't scripted to ever run into each other. It's pretty fun to see that happen, and it can sometimes save your life or completely mess up your plan of attack.

These dynamic events certainly turn up pretty bugged out in most cases, but generally it's the one of those very, very rare things Bethesda does okay. Which, in a turn of no surprise, is also ripped from other games, like STALKER and Far Cry, where they do these unscripted randomness without the bugs part. So you have to question that, even when Bethesda is doing well, are they doing anything someone hasn't already done better?

I'm reminded of Gothic 1 here, especially its New Camp policy - which if you look at it, would make the most sense to be used as a frame when building the law system in the wasteland. It literally had no official, formalist law regime where picking up an mug resulted in the guards flattening your sorry Pre-War ass down into the irradiated Commonwealth ground. Why would these guys even care... as that woman who sells clothes in Diamond City says (what was her name... you know which one) that all she requires is her shotgun to make nonpaying customers 'pay'.

In a Post-Apocalyptic setting and not a Post-Post-Apocalyptic setting, it makes sense that it's the law of the strongest that prevails. A place like Diamond City I probably imagine is in a way the stronghold of that Major (forgot the name) and that the guards are just his goons. You mess with his stuff, you get the goons/guards at you. The people living there? Just small fish that keep the Major going - they either pay the guards protection money or well, better get that shotgun and keep watch. Would be far more interesting to see a New Camp policy going around there then what we've been presented - it would make sense. Would even further emphasize on WHO is who. Those rich folk would probably have the finances to afford protection, those low lives on the other hand - I doubt. And there you go, a small tweak to the system and you've already made something a bit more complex (but far from it) and reasonable then what we have now. But hey, why care that a game from 2002 did all of this and more better then your game from 2016.

Back