Will Wasteland 3 ever become a thing?

Probably but I would rather see an expansion pack for Wasteland 2 and then a new IP. Wasteland 3 seems kind of pointless. The world would only stay a "wasteland" for so long after the apocalypse before some form of society re-emerges. In Fallout New Vegas society is already back in the form of NCR and it would be pointless to continue that storyline much further.

A fantasy world is much more static and can stay the same for thousands of years and thats why you can do an almost unlimted number of sequels in a world like that. But a post-apoc setting cannot stay the same for hundreds of years without it feeling a bit weird and unbelievable.

So I would rather see something new and fresh than another Wasteland game from InXile.

Perhaps, there is still quite some space to expand into for another game.
While I agree with Proletären that eventually even the Wasteland world would grow civilized again the societies currently in it are still to young to form nations again, let alone reclaim North America, well at least if the games take place only a couple of years after Wasteland 2.

BTW, was that Radio man at the LA Outpost ever picked up again? I read somewhere in a script extraction that the radio man would try to continue the mission of the Rangers and would send out radio messages for new people to come and form the LA Rangers.
I think that would be a good shoot-off point for a new Wasteland or Wasteland expansion. No need to go back to Arizona.

But most likely I will not pick up Wasteland 3 myself. I kind of got burned with Wasteland 2. (my own fault, I should have played Wasteland 1 first to get somewhat of an idea what the gameplay would have been like)

I hope so. I just hope that next time we aren't Rangers who are out to "save people", but rather part of a faction that has its own morally ambiguous goals. There's a whole planet that could be explored. I'd prefer it if it took place in a rad-free pocket close enough to Arizona or the city of angels that there are some connections between it and its predecessors.

InXile did trademark "Van Buren" recently, and Fargo has talked about wanting to work with Avellone on something right?

I wouldn't be surprised if the plan is to someday create "Wasteland 3: Van Buren" based in part on ideas from the Van Buren design documents that never made it into anything.

inXile trademarked both Meantime and Van Buren over a year ago. Meantime was supposed to be the original Wasteland 2 (although it looked completely different from the actually released Wasteland 2). Anyone know if we've heard anything about development relating to either of those titles since? I know inXile probably has their hands full with Torment and the Director's Cut, but I'd hope they'd have maybe one person working on a title at least conceptually.

They're also doing Bard's Tale. So, yeah. I wouldn't expect much news about future projects until TTON has been released and they've moved on full to Bard's Tale.

I hope they do something more with Wasteland 3 or Van Buren sooner than later. With Pillars of Eternity and Torment I think the fantasy RPG world has plenty.

It was hinted in the Wasteland 2 somewhere but I highly doubt it's coming anytime soon.
But I'd be excited for it .. though with how Wasteland 2 ended I don't know what kind of plot they could come up with. It was quite solid. They would have to do something far away from being just another "rehash".

On that topic. I don't want to hear, see, read or talk about the word "Synth(s)" for a while.
Fallout 4 ruined that for me *cries in the corner*. :(

If they do a Wasteland 3 I really think that they ought to make the main faction someone else but the Rangers. The Rangers can still be in it, sure, but I'd rather explore a faction who's goals are a bit more than just "let's try to be the good guys". That's not to say the Rangers don't have some moral ambiguity to them, of course they do, it's just not enough for me. I mean, twice now the Rangers have been the main guys. If they do a third game where they once again are the main guys then that might become too much of a staple for future Wasteland games and they won't be able to let a different faction take the spotlight without backlash from fans.

There are other factions out there, let's explore them.

If Rangers have to be the main guys I'd prefer it if the next game starts out in LA and focuses on Wade Woodson's attempt to make the Boneyard Rangers (they ain't in a desert yo) a force to be reckoned with that can truly defend the people of LA. It'd explore the aftermath of Wasteland 2 where certain choices are made canonized by the writers and the ultimate goal would be that LA, no matter how hard you try to control it, is something that cannot be put on a leash. It'd lead to things escalating with new groups that rose from the ashes of the old, from radiation cloud beginning to disappear around the edges of LA which opens up a path to a new area where different powerful factions come through, eager to explore LA. It goes to the point that it feels like everything is going to fall apart if they don't get better support. With radiation beginning to disperse you're tasked with using a vehicle designed to protect its operators from radiation and go to various rad-free pockets to see if a new base of operations can be set up, where the Rangers would be safe from the enemies they've made and to organize and prepare for a counter-attack against these new foes.

That'd be interesting to me. But the Arizona Rangers? Bleh. We've had two games with them already, it's time to move on to a new faction or to explore a different kind of Rangers back in LA.

On that topic. I don't want to hear, see, read or talk about the word "Synth(s)" for a while.
Fallout 4 ruined that for me *cries in the corner*. :(

Yeah, they pretty much suck these days. To be honest, when I first heard of the Children of the Citadel I thought they would be a faction/organization of leftover cyborgs from Base Cochise that had managed to fix up some laboratories and medical facilities to create more cyborgs and sought to spread their religion across the wasteland without them being the major bad. (just another potential good, neutral, or evil faction)
I am kind of disappointed to find out that it was sort of a rehash of Wasteland 1's plot (of course with some differences)

I also think that if a Wasteland 3 is made that it should involve the LA Rangers and not set again in Arizona. I am not even sure if I would like the player(s) starting out being members of any faction but Wasteland is quite different from Fallout so it is probably something that can not be escaped.

I myself had already been making up all kinds of ideas for a Wasteland 2 expansion when Wasteland 2 was still in development. The players would visit Santa Barbara, Vandenberg which had been taken over by a space age cult called the Rocketmen who want to build their own spaceship, visit Diablo Canyon, a nuclear power plant that got hit by an ICBM, and go all the way to San Francisco and discover a Vault like bunker called the VR Garden near the remnants of Silicon Valley inhabited by the descendants of the scientists and engineers of that place who have retreated into the illusion of virtual reality after they decided that the surface world had become to crapsack to ever return.

The plot would have involved Citadel Starstation and a disaster that would have eliminated all remaining life on Earth but as Citadel Starstation was confirmed to have been destroyed in Wasteland 2 that plot is out of the window. (no the station itself would not have been the threat, the LA Rangers learn that a killer asteroid is going to collide with Earth and they need to use the station to deflect it)

Last edited:
It was just some badly written sentence, I have already corrected it.
Basically it was Wasteland 1's plot again but this time more focus on turning people into cyborgs in comparison to 1 in which the focus was more on regular robots.

I think a thing we need to keep in mind about the resurgence of sub-AAA but polished games from talented studios (like Wasteland 2) is that because InXile is not beholden to a corporate master as publisher, they're really not under much pressure to churn out games as fast as they can. As long as they've got enough money coming in to keep the lights on and keep their (much smaller than AAA) team paid, they can afford to work to make the current game they're working on as good as it could be.

So InXile has Torment and Bard's Tale coming up, but I don't think they've announced what's after that yet. Torment is almost done but Bard's Tale is still very much TBA. I imagine once Torment is out the door, and some of the people who are more valuable in pre-production finish their work on Bard's Tale, they'll start thinking about what they want to do next and certainly Wasteland 3 will be part of the conversation. But there's really no need to talk publicly about a game that won't be finished for at least 4 years.

Last edited:
@The Dutch Ghost
I actually felt the same way about Children of the New Citadel. I had higher expectations about them in Wasteland 2. I just wish they had more characters (or more synths). I say that because most of the time I was never really convinced to join the New Citadel or it was left to be desired for. Outside of Dugan and Matthias there weren't really any other 'synths' that had a more detailed story/backstory to them. It was one of the disappointments about the game. Tinker (Ace's killer if I'm correct) and Dr. Kyle are probably the only other Synths I remember fondly from the New Citadel. I exclude Lexcanium for obvious reasons but damn if he wasn't such a cool companion.

I hope they try to expand more on the series but as far as I know it's going to be a long while until we hear anything. It's up in smoke at this point but I'd be excited either way. There's also catholic church near my place called 'St. Matthias' so I really dug WL2. The problem is that I want more with the Wasteland IP even if I was a bit disappointed about the New Citadel.

LA Rangers are definitely possible for Wasteland 3 but I'd like to see more original factions this time around apart from ones we've already encountered. inXile is on the right track but they can't just tease us like this. There's simply more out there to get into and I'm pretty sure they know it as well. Some Rangers still remain 'MIA' and I wouldn't be surprised if it plays a major role in the plot (or at least have some major significance). That's all just speculation though.

Pretty late to this, but oh well.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    115.2 KB · Views: 771
Back