Would Microsoft turn Wasteland into a Bethesda Fallout clone?

ironmask

A Smooth-Skin
I'm I the only one that would see Microsoft doing this, now that they own Inxile? Wasteland is very similar to Fallout and Fallout was it's spiritual successor so do you think Microsoft would turn Wasteland into a Bethesda like Fallout game if they made a sequel to wasteland 3, to cash in on the popularity of Bethesda's fallouts? After all Open world fps games are way popular than crpgs. Do you think Inxile could do a better job of making a open world fps rpg than Bethesda?

Does Microsoft actually possesses Wasteland franchise now?

Probably won't but nothing of value would be lost since Wasteland is ridiculous on its own and it's combat depth is turn-based Oblivion worth.

It might be hard to see it—to see why, but this made me think of the scene in Conan, where Subotai and Conan discuss their gods.
(...And that facial expression that Arnold gives at the end.)

*See... Microsoft now owns the impetus for Fallout, and Bethesda's IP... lives underneath them. Imagine what they could do with that. They can do whatever they want in the PA setting, and claim prior art. :lol: Fallout copies from Wasteland; (though not the retro 50's aspect).

**Not to endorse or encourage it, but Microsoft could make a Wasteland Halo clone with a retro setting; even set it in the same locations near New Vegas—or they could set it in Redmond. They could include the ruins of their Redmond campus. To me it almost seems like buying the land under a landmark.

MS has done similar before... remember that they got started by working with IBM —who had this grand esteem for their own hardware, and allowed Microsoft to own the OS... Only later realizing that the hardware wasn't as important as the OS that they became reliant upon, and they were paying M$ for ever PC they sold that had DOS on it.

***They could make a Bethesda style Fallout-killer... and I don't know if Bethesda could have a case against them. I bet they couldn't even argue against Power Armor.

Last edited:
good question.

you see, Obsidian lost the opportunity of their lives with this Outer Worlds. This type of game is not so popular (Deus Ex MD was a flop)

You know very well what really sell. Bethesda games. That fucking atrocity called Fallout 4 sold more than Skyrim. MORE THAN SKYRIM.

The reason is that there is no competition. But now Microsoft has the knife and cheese on hand to make a game that is in Bethesda´s style.

They already have the cenario. They have the rangers. They need now propagate that Wastland 3 will be the true successor of New Vegas that money will come on horseback.

I'm I the only one that would see Microsoft doing this, now that they own Inxile? Wasteland is very similar to Fallout and Fallout was it's spiritual successor so do you think Microsoft would turn Wasteland into a Bethesda like Fallout game if they made a sequel to wasteland 3, to cash in on the popularity of Bethesda's fallouts? After all Open world fps games are way popular than crpgs. Do you think Inxile could do a better job of making a open world fps rpg than Bethesda?

while i do love Crpgs, and there is a lack of them, its also worth noting that there is , at least to my knowledge, only one Crpg inspired Arpg in existence (new vegas) and i wouldn't mind having more of them.

you see, Obsidian lost the opportunity of their lives with this Outer Worlds. This type of game is not so popular (Deus Ex MD was a flop)
The reason Deus Ex MD was a flop was because of atrocious marketing bullshit, forced microtransactions, sjw bullshit ( shit like Aug lives matter), and poor reviews. The outer worlds will sale like hot cakes; the witcher 3 has the same style of open world and that was a success.

good question.

You know very well what really sell. Bethesda games. That fucking atrocity called Fallout 4 sold more than Skyrim. MORE THAN SKYRIM.

The reason is that there is no competition. But now Microsoft has the knife and cheese on hand to make a game that is in Bethesda´s style.

They already have the cenario. They have the rangers. They need now propagate that Wastland 3 will be the true successor of New Vegas that money will come on horseback.
I think that the success of Fallout 4 was due to hype and surprise effect. After new vegas (not well received by many) there was a void of several years, which got people excited. And then... we know what happened. Fallout 4 was my wake up call personally

I'm sure they could do it, and probably would too, but I sincerely hope they won't. Not every game needs to be a motherfucking first person shooter.

Totally not impossible, but quite unlikely imo.
Wasteland is like the flag of the turn-based rpg rennaissance (and indie renaissance overall) and Brian Fargo marketting campaign was both recent and huge. It is not so easy to shrug it off.
But it can get Dragon Aged over time...

Yeah, semi/open world first person shooter games with RPG mechanics and tendencies are not popular at ALL. If we don't count Far Cry, the upcoming Cyberpunk, Bethesda games themselves...

If you mean precisely an "immersive sim", they're simply not marketing it as such and it really doesn't fit most of the genre conventions from what we know.

And that's before you break the barrier of first person, which is arguably irrelevant, then there's even more games on this "niche".

Back