☢ The NMA Atomik Movie Gang The Omega Man (1971)

Which movie would you like to watch?

• A Boy and His Dog (1975)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Steel Dawn (1987)

• The Postman (1997)

• Threads (1984)

• Damnation Alley (1977)

• Radioactive Dreams (1984)

• Fist of the North Star (1995 - live action)

• Delicatessen (1991)

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Escape from New York (1981)

• Waterworld (1995)

• The Omega Man (1971)

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • The Quiet Earth (1985)

• The Road (2009)

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Stalker (1979)

• Six-String Samurai (1998)

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If I got it on my HDD I will during the weekend but if not I can't. :/
All good, next poll is supposed to be next Tuesday.
Well I've seen it several times. I might watch it again.
You don't have to watch it again if you already watched it before, you can just go right into discuss and give your opinion of it.
Participation is abysmal on this site. Only regurgitated memes and political talking points are allowed. Don't ask them to put any original or critical thoughts or even invite them to have *gasp* fun, they'll just hurt themselves.
And to think the Order's low-activity Movie Club would have more activity than the NMA's one. :seriouslyno:

Also, if anyone has any suggestions for the next poll, feel free to say them. It doesn't have to be Post-Apoc movies, it can be any movie.

Already watched, I'll post my impressions once I get some more time.

As for a recommendation- Pulse (the original 2001 version)

Movies already suggested for the next poll:
Mad Max (1979)
Pulse (2001)
The Day After (1983)

Last edited:
Hm, I don't have the Omega Man after all. :(
Yknow, it's a bit hard to do a movie club if not everyone can have access to the films.
I'm trying to yarr harr far less so I'm not going to be sailing for anything.
Guess I'll just opt out.

Hm, I don't have the Omega Man after all. :(
Yknow, it's a bit hard to do a movie club if not everyone can have access to the films.
I'm trying to yarr harr far less so I'm not going to be sailing for anything.
Guess I'll just opt out.
You can watch it for free on archive.org:

Oh neat. NMA embeds videos from archive.org. :salute:

The New Barbarians needs to be added to the poll. It is the most Fallout movie I have watched thus far.

NewBarbariansPoster.jpg

tumblr_inline_p7il6u1RSs1t1y67g_500.jpg

If you guys are not hosting on the other Discord I would like to invite you all to NMA Underground for movie nights when it launches in a day or two. Do not need to do voice during the movie if people are not comfortable with that, there is a text channel. ACCESS TO FILMS?

ACCESS TO FILMS!?

Bros I heard a place called 123movies will play most films. No worries we will get this running because it has to synch up with my movie reviews and has no choice.

Mad Max (1979)
Pulse (2001)
The Day After (1983)
The New Barbarians (1983) [AKA: Warriors of the Wasteland]

Child actors can really ruin scenes. Richie in Omega Man couldn't do pacing at all, when he was on the rooftop talking to whatshisface he would deliver his lines way too quickly and it completely took me out of the movie for those scenes.

I don't get why they could kill Richie just there on the spot but had to go through all the bullshit to bring whatshisface to the stadium to burn him alive when they first got a hold of him.

I'm not so good at talking about things I like as I find it easier to criticize tho... I really like the concept for the film and I kinda wished we could get a remake where he doesn't meet other people and just watch him descend into madness where he starts to imagine that people are around and because he's so lonely and broken at that point he would indulge it and over time lose track of what is real and what isn't which would ultimately bring about his downfall.

The bad guys' idea is pretty silly. Like we're gonna destroy all of humanities books and manuals and technology and it's like... All of it? Across the planet? I get that they are delusional due to their condition but still, I think it's a point whatshisface should have brough up to them to maybe give them a moment of pause before Matthias snaps everyone out of it with some bullshit which would show whatshisface that they truly are deluded and have no form of reasoning left.

There's an interesting little attention to detail. The blood from him is a lot more normal than the blood from them. Their blood looks like paint but his blood looks pretty blood'y.

Here's some thoughts about the movie from me:

I liked the start where he just drives along the city, I was confused why he shot at the figure through a window since it was obvious he wouldn't hit at all.

I liked that he was getting a bit crazy talking to himself due to living isolated for years.

I didn't understand why the other people didn't contact him earlier or why the girl run away from him when he spotted her. Since they knew of him, who he was and what he was trying to do.

I thought that the romance was a bit rushed and maybe forced. But it might have just been to demonstrate that they were both extremely lonely.

I also didn't understand why the mutants were having so many problems dealing with him. His house wasn't that fortified, all they had to do was to burn the house to the ground with him inside (since they liked fire so much). I guess the lights did keep them away at a distance. But they could have just pushed trucks and cars and blocked his way out (we see them doing that while he is driving, pushing vehicles in his way).

I don't understand why he left the girl go to the city by herself, especially since he even got warned before that some people "turn" really quickly, in a matter of minutes or seconds. So he would have wanted to monitor the girl, he even says that no one knows when she would "turn".

I don't get why they could kill Richie just there on the spot but had to go through all the bullshit to bring whatshisface to the stadium to burn him alive when they first got a hold of him.
It was because they considered him a special case, since he was a scientist working on vaccines and stuff. They considered him one of the people who actually brought the plague to the world and kill it. So they wanted to purify/destroy him by fire.
Yeah, it was stupid. But the mutants weren't very smart, to begin with.

I thought the end was a nice symbolic piece of art. He died for humanity's sins (the plague and the mutants) so he could save humanity (with his blood) with open arms, kinda reminiscence of Jesus or something.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie.

I liked the start where he just drives along the city, I was confused why he shot at the figure through a window since it was obvious he wouldn't hit at all.
I figured it's his impatience with dealing with them. He's been after them for a very long time, slowly combing through the city to find their lair and with an opportunity maybe he just acted on instinct to kill.

I didn't understand why the other people didn't contact him earlier or why the girl run away from him when he spotted her. Since they knew of him, who he was and what he was trying to do.
Well according to her she was worried of being shot. Like here's a guy who's shooting anything that moves. If they've been observing him for a while then they ought to know he's kinda slipping as well, so he's possibly a loon with a gun who kills on sight and when he runs after her he carries his gun.

I thought that the romance was a bit rushed and maybe forced. But it might have just been to demonstrate that they were both extremely lonely.
Absolutely. I felt no chemistry between them at all. I get that they might both be lonely but I mean whatshisface2 is a young fit guy, I don't get why she wouldn't have hooked up with him already. It's just the usual old "we gotta have a romance subplot".
+ nudity

I also didn't understand why the mutants were having so many problems dealing with him. His house wasn't that fortified, all they had to do was to burn the house to the ground with him inside (since they liked fire so much). I guess the lights did keep them away at a distance. But they could have just pushed trucks and cars and blocked his way out (we see them doing that while he is driving, pushing vehicles in his way).
Something that bothered me is that when he first arrives home and open his garage two of them are in a window above him, meaning that they are either inside of his building (but a lower floor) or a building to the side and I don't get why they couldn't just set fire to them and just let them burn. Or just hack away at foundational pieces with sledgehammers to make the building collapse. Maybe they're too scared of losing their own lives?

I don't understand why he left the girl go to the city by herself, especially since he even got warned before that some people "turn" really quickly, in a matter of minutes or seconds. So he would have wanted to monitor the girl, he even says that no one knows when she would "turn".
What bothered me is that she put on those sunglasses and hid her hair and he thought nothing of it.

It was because they considered him a special case, since he was a scientist working on vaccines and stuff. They considered him one of the people who actually brought the plague to the world and kill it. So they wanted to purify/destroy him by fire.
Yeah, it was stupid. But the mutants weren't very smart, to begin with.
True.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie.
Me too.

I've watched it once before- 4 years ago.

I loved the book when I first read it and while for me Omega Man doesn't entirely capture it's essence, it did a better job in that regard than the I am Legend movie with Will Smith.

I'd also recommend checking out the Last Man on Earth from 1964 (though it has in my opinion the worst iteration of the infected who act like Romero's zombies)- maybe it could be added to a poll.

I've enjoyed the Omega Man, but some moments were just cheesy.

I know Matthias was an insane news anchor that started a post-apo religion, but I felt they dialed him up a bit too much.
Family though was a really interesting spin on the infected.

I did not like the teenagers. Lisa was way worse than Ruth and Richie was a straight up moron (I get it he wanted to save more people, but I have no idea how he survived if his best plan was to just walk into the lair).

I've enjoyed Neville's insanity, I don't think the book or other movies portrayed enough of it.

I was also reminded of Jesus' crucifixion when he died (I don't think I've noticed that when I've watched it last time).

The soundtrack was alright, but I don't have any favourites aside from the main theme which is really memorable and I could recall it even after all these years.

I'd also recommend checking out the Last Man on Earth from 1964 (though it has in my opinion the worst iteration of the infected who act like Romero's zombies)- maybe it could be added to a poll.

Available on youtube.

I did not like the teenagers. Lisa was way worse than Ruth and Richie was a straight up moron (I get it he wanted to save more people, but I have no idea how he survived if his best plan was to just walk into the lair).
Well they used to be a part of the Family and maybe, since he's young, he formed a bond with them and last he saw them they weren't all nuts so he wanted to save them. He most likely survived because of his sister taking care of him and telling him that they were a lost cause he believed her but now he knows they might not be.

What baffles me is how Lisa just suddenly goes 180 and follows Matthias. Like, it's not a hivemind, they're just individually crazy and Matty boy managed to put them all under his spell but she hasn't been going to church for a looooong time.

Mad Max (1979)
Pulse (2001)
The Day After (1983)
The New Barbarians (1983) [AKA: Warriors of the Wasteland]
The Last Man on Earth (1964)

The next poll will be made in less than 1 day, so stay tuned. :wiggle:

Back