☢ The NMA Atomik Movie Gang

Would you be interested in a NMA movie club?

• Yes

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Yes, but I have a better idea on how it should work

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

Risewild

Antediluvian as Feck
Modder
Orderite
Ok. This is totally not a ripoff of the "Movie Club of the Order".

Here's the thing, is anyone interested in having a weekly movie club around here?

It would work like this:
  • Every Monday, we vote for a movie from a poll of suggested titles.
  • Every Tuesday through Sunday we watch the poll's winner movie and talk about it. We also suggest new movies for the next poll.
  • Any NMA member can participate in the poll and discussions at any time.
I was thinking of first hosting polls about Post Apocalyptic movies, to start with (to keep in line with NMA general theme).

A note, if I'm the one to make the thread and moderate the poll for this, I'm on Australian time (UTC/GMT +11 hours), so this means that it's quite a weird time zone for the majority of people from other time zones (basically I would be on Tuesday already by the time people in the USA would still be on Monday).
So if a new poll appears on Sunday for you, then it's because I'm already on Monday myself and posted it. This doesn't mean you can't still watch and discuss the previous movie or anything.

Toront can edit at leisure too when you are asleep.

Last edited:
I voted No out of principle. Huff.

But I think this will do better over here. So in reality, Yes.

I need to get a feel for people's taste in films around here. I'm not opposed to it so I voted "maybe". I don't watch capeshit, woke shit, or degenerate weeb/anime shit. I'm very against such things.

not opposed either, though if I won't have an access to a movie *or* it's as long and as interesting as a tapeworm, I'll probably pass in that one..

I have a better idea. We should not contain it too much to PA for the long haul because we will run out of movies. Other than that glad you made it I really did not wanna make it.

Way this forum is working now I can host the movie on Discord for those that can watch (assuming I have access 2 it) while others can just watch it elsewhere or on their own and post about it at their leisure. Renaming it tho.

The Artist (2011) is a good movie. Not sure it's suited for group viewing. Maybe a good spaghetti western would be good for a movie night?

Movie night is easy and will be easier when NMA Underground goes live in the coming weeks.

I have a better idea. We should not contain it too much to PA for the long haul because we will run out of movies.
Yeah. I thought PA movies would be just to start with.

I also thought that we could have "genre weeks" (action week, comedy week, war week, martial arts week, etc.) from time to time. These "genre weeks" could be filled with previous suggestions that didn't get picked before plus new suggestions. But first, we should see how this works, before getting into more detailed ideas. :lmao:

And it's good you mentioned that you can edit it too. I didn't want to burden any staff member with this, but it's good to know you can take care of it if I have one of my cases of disappearing for a while and can't update it. Or you can even take it over if you want to, I'm pretty lazy anyway. :look:
Oh, and one more thing, could you or any other staff member pin this topic? It would be useful if we're really serious about doing this. Thanks. :ok:

Since it seems like people are interested (judging by the poll results until now), if anyone has any good Post Apocalyptic movies to suggest, this is a perfect time. If we gather enough suggestions we can start next week already. :postviper:

One day I will watch the original Metropolis. I'm curious about old films like that. Never seen any.
Do it! Do it now!

I was very into silent movies in high school. Lon Chaney is a great actor (my favorite). He is known as The Man of a Thousand Faces because he did his own makeup and pioneered the art. Today, he is known for his horror films, but in reality he acted in mostly drama and that's where his talent shines. Don't get me wrong, Chaney's The Phantom of the Opera is one of the best adaptations (and contains 17 minutes of early technicolor) and his makeup is iconic, but he was so much more than a horror or monster makeup guy.

I wholeheartedly suggest The Phantom of the Opera (1925) and The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1923) (a great makeup job in this film, too), but if you're going to dive into Lon Chaney, be sure to checkout The Penalty (1920), The Unknown (1927), West of Zanzibar (1927), Laugh, Clown, Laugh (1928)... just watch all his filmography.

Yes, the acting is over the top at times, but other times... truly great acting. Lon Chaney's parents were both deaf and dumb, so he was a natural for the silent medium, and he often brought humanity to characters that society looked down upon.

I like silent movies.

Yeah. I thought PA movies would be just to start with.

I also thought that we could have "genre weeks" (action week, comedy week, war week, martial arts week, etc.) from time to time. These "genre weeks" could be filled with previous suggestions that didn't get picked before plus new suggestions. But first, we should see how this works, before getting into more detailed ideas. :lmao:

And it's good you mentioned that you can edit it too. I didn't want to burden any staff member with this, but it's good to know you can take care of it if I have one of my cases of disappearing for a while and can't update it. Or you can even take it over if you want to, I'm pretty lazy anyway. :look:
Oh, and one more thing, could you or any other staff member pin this topic? It would be useful if we're really serious about doing this. Thanks. :ok:

Since it seems like people are interested (judging by the poll results until now), if anyone has any good Post Apocalyptic movies to suggest, this is a perfect time. If we gather enough suggestions we can start next week already. :postviper:

Brother I got your back. Pinned.

Also I already have one movie picked for the next cycle. The Hobbit cartoon.

When it comes to PA I think we need to start with a classic. Boy and His Dog or something.

A Boy and His Dog is one of my favorites, though it kinda REDACTED.

I'll save it for when we watch.

Also that Patrick Swayze movie Steel Dawn I think it was. The Postman is a longer one. I will work up a list later. Threads might be my favorite realistic one.

upload_2022-10-24_20-50-30.jpeg

The Postman book is one of my favorite books, but I never watched the movie because I've always heard it was bad, but never looked into why it was bad.

The Postman book is one of my favorite books, but I never watched the movie because I've always heard it was bad, but never looked into why it was bad.
Hey Voof people are fucking stupid. I liked it but I never read the book which is probably why I liked it. People need to learn to detach from the source and just enjoy what they can before they rot away and die.

I'm making this post so I can keep the suggestions in one place (so I don't forget any):
  • Boy and His Dog
  • Steel Dawn
  • The Postman
  • Threads
  • Damnation Alley
I threw in Damnation Alley too.

Future polls:
  • The Hobbit cartoon

Everyone is encouraged to give more suggestions, don't be shy.

Back