50 Minutes of 76

• Thread starter Thread starter TorontoReign
  • Start date Start date
BOS?
20 years after the nukes...
In West Virginia?

iu

They were used as criticism of nuclear war. Remember The Glow? How big of a deal Ulysses launching several of them was? Now it's just funnsies and lewt, because big explosions that cause radiation and can kill millions are fun now.

Just the prime example of how Bethesda hasn't gotten this franchise yet and probably never will.

Too be honest, if I ever do buy 76 it will largely be so I can explore the world. A lack of NPC's are going to make quests pretty bare-bones but I've always enjoyed the exploration of Bethesda games so that's probably the draw for me.

Looking good to me!

But more seriously, I don't see why you're all being so dramatic. Wouldn't stress also calling anyone giving it basic coverage shills, but it's not like I joined yesterday.

(Lowkey, I do love things like in the video and F76 would really come together if it managed to evoke even a bit of that).

In the original games wasn't Vault Boy only used in the character menu, and now he's all over the place like the way disney uses mickey mouse.

And the tone of that nuclear launch is umm...unique. All those players gathered together, anticipating the annihilation of a town like they're waiting for Santa or something.

Fallout used to be 95% bleak and disturbing, with just a hint of the light-hearted 50's naivete. It is becoming more and more the reverse of that. I am suspecting that Bethesda is going that way because they seem to try to take the Elder Scrolls seriously, so now they are turning Fallout more and more into their light-hearted, wacky franchise.

I haven't posted in a long time but 76 has me cynical about Fallout again so here we go.

Back when they first announced 76 I was a cautiously optimistic that it would be a decent co op RPG. Hoping for something like Neverwinter Nights or SWTOR (much more the former than the latter.) And even if the game is bad, at least it's co op. Even bad games can become fun with co op, like Aliens Colonial Marines. I prefer to be more optimistic if I can which is part of why I don't fit in so well here but in the end I was very wrong about this game and I realized this very quickly when they showed it at E3 and beyond. No NPCs, card systems, leveling up through card packs like ME3 multiplayer, Nuking people like the MW2 killstreak and the insane potential for griefing. The list goes on and on.

All of this just makes me apathetic to Fallout and slightly sad. During all of this lead up to the release of 76 I haven't even cared about it. Most of the time I forget it even exists. A new Fallout game is coming out and I don't even care enough to remember that it's coming out this year. Even with Fallout 4 I was exited leading up to it. I knew to be skeptical because of Bethesda's record of not understanding Fallout as well as Obsidian but I remember hoping that it would be at least on the level of Fallout 3 or close to that but it turned out to be much worse. I know some people here like Fallout 4 better than 3 because at least it's a better shooter. That's fine but as someone who didn't hate Fallout 3, I found it to be like the ultimate betrayal. That may sound dumb to some of you but that's definitely how I felt. Like at least they tried to make an RPG with Fallout 3 and even tried to add some moral ambiguity in the Pitt but they literally didn't even try this time. There are a total two quests in Fallout 4 that have skill checks, Two. They kind of tried with the factions in Fallout 4 but that's... A rabbit hole that I don't want to fall into now.

Anyways. I feel like I'm not the only one that isn't enthusiastic about 76. I feel like it's been largely forgotten this year. Among the major high budget releases I'd say 76 has been overshadowed by Red Dead Redemption 2, Spider-Man and God of War. I'll just ends this comment by driving home the most important point. I know I'm preaching to the choir but just in case anyone out there is considering. Please do not buy it. Buy it used if you absolutely have to play it. Fallout fans didn't ask for this. This game is a cash grab and the ultimate offense to any fan of this franchise. It shares this in common with Fallout BOS. Ultimately, no one asked for this and no one should support it.

One last thing, regarding the press event garbage. This video explains it pretty well. Especially at around the 18:50 mark.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just looks so. . .Boring. Bare ass bones Loot and Shooter with a dead world. That is the thing with Fallout, the world is what I always found the most interesting and this just looks boring. I don't know who's idea it was to set the game in West Virginia, but c'mon West Virginia! A Place when people asked hey you know what would be a interesting place to visit I guarantee you West Fucking Virginia was not the god damn answer. I think I saw Flatwoods in there so they will probably do a thing with the Flatwoods monster because that just writes itself but the only other thing it has going on is Coal Mines, Lots of Coal Mines. Gameplay looked like a hiking simulator with intermittent breaks of shooting Ghouls and Crispy Raiders...because Raiders are Crispy now I guess.

I see they are reusing the same tired ass songs from before. My idea of remaking modern songs in the theme of the Jazz/Rat Pack/Elvis is a thousand times better than their sorry played out shit from the fucking 40's or in some cases the 30's.

Seriously people, what where you expecting? B$ is a money machine first, and the modern xXxGaYmUrRxXx masses will love it, so profit! And Bethesda was always about profit first, then the nerdism/geekism of their own Designers/Programmers and then fans and service.
Real Fallout is dead since December 2003 (well actually a bit before that) and while FNV was a touch more in the way of the classics, it was still not enough by a long shot; at least for me personally (as much as I enjoy such gameplay) I rather have that clunky Top Down RPG than a FPS shooter with RPG Elements.

So someone please stop that 15 years of constant whining already and get your stuff together:
- Finally finish that awsome classic mod idea you had
(Looking at noone in particular ^^" *cough*Mutants Rising*cough*)
- Make other awesome mods more accessible via Translations and Publicity
(looking at Olympus 2207 and that one Chinese FOT mod for example)
- Keep the spirit of the classics alive, get together a team and make a complete new game
(I mean, just look at Underrail and ATOM for example, or Encased...)

P.S.: Fallout: New California will be released in two weeks, for everyone too not engaged enough to do something active, at least play that ^^"

Last edited:
Maybe my problem is that I'm too old and just don't get the edgy new Bethesda's approaches, but this game seems like a janky POS to me. The gameplay is awfully boring, just some generic shooter. And the visuals look like this was a game made for PS2. I wached some of Gamespot's "4K gameplay" and the textures and lighting looked horrible.

Overall, I'm not even bothered, because now I can forget Bethesda ever existed. For me, Fallout 1 is the only true Fallout and there will always be space on my HDD for it.

P.S.: When I saw those "social" icons popping all over the place with random XXPuSSyD3Str0Y3rXX characters running around, I was almost blinded. Dear god no, what an abomination.

Something that's been on my mind for a long time is who does this game actually cater to?

Like, ok, fine, they wanna try something new? All right. It's a spin-off based on the previous game so that they can test stuff out. That's not an inherently bad thing to do. The fact that it is a live service game that they threw together speaks volumes to me but whatever. Fine, let's judge it on its own merits and ask ourselves who is this game for?

Is it for nu-Fallout fans?
Well, you could say it is as they might not care so much about story and NPC's and all that but fact of the matter is that despite their terrible writing and linear quest design it is something that nu-Fallout fans did like. So now it's gone. And all that's left is the base gameplay portion of Fallout 4. One could argue that this is enough for some of them but think about it. Those who enjoyed Fallout 4 will eventually have gotten the most enjoyment they can get out of the game right? Eventually they would get bored with the gameplay and move on. If this game is just more of the same in terms of gameplay then what is the appeal to them? I think it's mixed. It's for some nu-Fallout fans, and it's not for some of them.

Is it for survival gamers?
Not really. They did have a Survival mode for Fallout 4 that was kinda brutal, especially at the start of the game. But do you really think that this kind of mode will be the default mode that everyone will have to play on? I doubt it. Considering how much Bethesda has been shunning PVP out of fear of alienating those who don't want to get killed I doubt it will have a major factor. And since you barely lose anything when you die there isn't much of a risk involved, so why worry about surviving? If you die, all you lose is your crafting components.

Is it for shooter looters?
Sure. But this isn't Borderlands where you can find some damn crazy and zany weapons and really weird new enemy types that require you to change your approach to how to fight them. You do get to run around and gun shit down but if you watch the gameplay videos released so far it just... Well it just looks like Fallout 4's shooting. So why not just get Fallout 4? The looting part is just... Meh... For a lack of a better word. Like. It's Fallout 4. I know what the looting is like in that game. If that's supposed to be the selling point of this one then it's going to get boring pretty fast.

Is it for multiplayer gamers?
No.
Why?
Cause mutliplayer gamers expect competitiveness and they expect to face off against one another. This is a game that is trying its very hardest to punish and deter people from engaging in PVP as much as possible. Anyone coming off of ARK or Rust or whatever is going to find this game boring as what they want out of the experience is something the game tries to punish. Where's the competition? Where's the elements of the game that encourages warfare amongst players?

The only people I can think of that this game would appeal to is those who want a relatively chill explorative experience where they can turn their brains off and just shoot shit with friends.

And does that really require a fucking 60 dollar pricetag? It looks like a mod. It could very well have been released as just a mod. "Oh but the new engine bla bla bla" So release it as a bigass update that requires you to install a new version of Fallout 4 then. Where in the steam library we would have Fallout 4 and then Fallout 4 Online Beta.

I'm sure the game appeals to 'someone'. There's an audience for everything. But this isn't a niche game they're trying to peddle here. This is a live service AAA title coming from Bethesda. They want to rake in cash and that requires targeting a broad audience. But there isn't anything to "wow" people with anymore. Anyone that could be "wowed" with this already played Fallout 4.

I just don't see what the target audience is.

It caters to kids. Simple as that. My little brother will be getting it.

There is your audience for Fallout now. These are the same low IQ retards that are falling for Flat Earth Theories. Trust me. I know two of them. They surely have under a 100 IQ.

Back