A community effort

NMA - A post-apocalyptic roleplaying game?

• Interested in playing and helping

Votes: 57 63.3%
  • Interested in playing

Votes: 39 43.3%
  • Not interested

Votes: 6 6.7%

• Total voters
Mirelurks aren't actually mutated humans but rather mutated snapping turtles that look somewhat human. They would fall under the category of critters.
Those are Mirelurk Kings, the Mirelurks are mutated crabs.
I like all your ideas. I think it would make sense and would provide already a good amount of critter variety. :clap:

Mirelurks aren't actually mutated humans but rather mutated snapping turtles that look somewhat human. They would fall under the category of critters.
?

Mirelurks are mutated crabs... They are the only addition Bethesda has made to the Fallout franchise that isn't risible or out of place.

Mirelurk Kings are a direct parody of the Black Lagoon creature.

I like all your ideas. I think it would make sense and would provide already a good amount of critter variety. :clap:

Thank you but most of these are not my own creations, only the newly suggested Slobbers are.
All of these come from finished Fallout projects or proposed Fallout projects like Van Buren and Fallout Online.

This was one idea I was thinking of when I tried to combine humans with animal traits (no not furries, more like humans with animal senses), blind humans or humans who no longer have eyes due to mutation with a sort of radar sense like bats. (their eyes and the space these use to occupy being replaced with some kind of radar organ)
They would be perhaps pale, hairless and very lanky looking but I don't have them in mind as blood sucking vampire types.

Alternatively using inspiration from the Known Space stories that I read there mutants-with-radar-sense would be naturally armored, perhaps somewhat bulky looking.
But despite their fierce appearance to would be in general non aggressive towards outsiders.
I would call them Grendels after the poem and the Known Space story with the same name.

As for new plant mutants, other than of course the return of the giant venus flytraps I would suggest the following.

Weedling, Carnivorous Bush, Thornslingers (think a pissed of cactus), Stranglevine, Man-traps (plants that trap and eat humans/human mutants), and I had been thinking of some kind of fungus or moss but that may be to much like the Slobbers but in plant form.

I had also been trying to think of ideas for radioactive type of mutants such as Radiation Flyers (think something like a butterfly type creature with an eerie glow due to the radioactive material in its body), or some type of radioactive will o wisp like creature or phenomenon. Creatures people would encounter at certain radioactive areas in the wasteland.

But perhaps these two are more suited to the Wasteland universe than the Fallout universe

But they are still mutated snap turtles in FO3.
Ah... you mean because Bethesda says so... Yeah. I can accept that it's an acceptable reason; but it is not one that myself I accept. There is no reason to pollute the PnP game with anything Bethesda says. This would lead to the Pipboy being a magical time-stopping device, and that aliens started the great war.

Best (IMO) to treat all of Bethesda's lore additions the same as if they came from a kindergarten class; and only consider things that are not egregiously silly or detrimental to the setting.

How about the cut S'Lanter?
I like the idea... but I also know that they cut the S'lanter because they felt it didn't fit the setting. Of course... they had no idea what lay in store... like the talking deathclaws, and the Brain (sans Pinky); or that Interplay would sell the baby.

I think S'lanter could probably work out well.

We could make a new bacteria or virus. The bacteria could be really big but consisted of only one cell, or could be spread to large areas and people who want to avoid it should wear an item or take a medicine. It could have a variety of effects.

Just had a look at my own ideas again. I like the Slobbers as I feel they fit in Fallout but I have some doubts about the Grendels.
While "wild mutated" animals and plants sometimes became more bigger and powerful (or sentient in case of plants, remember people sentience is something else than sapience) "accidentally" mutated humans always tend to become weaker and somewhat degenerative.
Only "made" mutants tended to be physically and sometimes mentally superior to humans.

The same kind of goes with the more bizarre wildlife in the Fallout universe, creatures that were deliberately created through genetic engineering/mutation tend to be always the most bizarre looking and the most dangerous such as the Floaters, Centaurs, Wannamingoes, Deathclaws, Nightstalkers, and Cazadores.

I don't think there should be more mutagenic agents next to FEV, radiation, toxic waste, and other toxins.

But bacteriae are really forgotten in the fallout universe. They can evolve really fast and efficient and i am sure they kept up in a strong way and became a must-consider fact after the bombs fell.

Especially since there were known bioweapons efforts before the War. They appear to be mostly virus-based, but that might just be because "virus" sounds cooler and more menacing than "bacterium".

Ah crud, interest has gone down again.
Is there anyway we can keep this going on even if interest fades from time to time?
Perhaps I should indeed make separate threads in which I put down the descriptions of various creatures/robots, equipment/armor/weapons/drugs, factions/organizations, locations, background lore etc, rules/gameplay system

We
Ah crud, interest has gone down again.
Is there anyway we can keep this going on even if interest fades from time to time?
Perhaps I should indeed make separate threads in which I put down the descriptions of various creatures/robots, equipment/armor/weapons/drugs, factions/organizations, locations, background lore etc, rules/gameplay system
We can't push people to come up with ideas. If there are people who have ideas, we ought to reach them. Otherwise, we'll end up with a variety of too swanky, illogical ideas

I don't want to push people to come with responses and ideas but I also don't want this project to be quiet for weeks or months because there is no input at all.

I know it is difficult to work on this on a regularly basis, especially when people also have the matters of daily life to contend with as well as a social life and other interests, but I had hoped that a team would form that would like to work on this and make relative frequent updates.

This was one idea I was thinking of when I tried to combine humans with animal traits (no not furries, more like humans with animal senses), blind humans or humans who no longer have eyes due to mutation with a sort of radar sense like bats. (their eyes and the space these use to occupy being replaced with some kind of radar organ)
They would be perhaps pale, hairless and very lanky looking but I don't have them in mind as blood sucking vampire types.

Sounds like the underground creatures from The Descent.

fd42379affc5aff039453878bcad5e69.jpg

I don't want to push people to come with responses and ideas but I also don't want this project to be quiet for weeks or months because there is no input at all.

I know it is difficult to work on this on a regularly basis, especially when people also have the matters of daily life to contend with as well as a social life and other interests, but I had hoped that a team would form that would like to work on this and make relative frequent updates.

Lets create a discord group, so whoever wants to contribute can be bound together and can tell us whenever he/she (man srysly) has an idea he/she (i hate English) wants to share

If I recall correctly there is a Discord group. I will ask Hassknecht or Toront.

Argnus_Dei, you can also use the word "they" if you mean both men and women or numerous people in a sentence instead of he/she.

Kohno, I am surprised that the idea I suggested for blind people or beings who use radar has been used before, I myself got it from a science fiction story.
What I am not sure about is if it makes sense within the Fallout world. Usually human mutant who are somewhat superior to regular humans tend to be manufactured or engineered and are not the result of random mutations. Human mutants in general tend to be degenerative in the Fallout universe.

Lets create a discord group, so whoever wants to contribute can be bound together and can tell us whenever he/she (man srysly) has an idea he/she (i hate English) wants to share
There's an NMA Discord already. Just request @Arnust to make a new room for Fallout P&P or chime into #podcasts_and_projects maybe. Invite this guy, Papa Penguin.

It's nice there is already a discord group of NMA and i joined it but i think this community project is better off having its own server. I don't want this project to be some sub text channel, because it won't be sufficent and this PnP project should have it's own separate text channels such as "Mechanics", "Species", "Campaigns", and such.
Point being, this PnP project deserves more than a text channel, so here is the discord server i opened up: https://discord.gg/RHYyGWq

Last edited:
Back