A community effort

NMA - A post-apocalyptic roleplaying game?

• Interested in playing and helping

Votes: 57 63.3%
  • Interested in playing

Votes: 39 43.3%
  • Not interested

Votes: 6 6.7%

• Total voters
Sounds interesting. Maybe there's a town of "mutated" people hiding somewhere that's in constant danger of being discovered the Enclave. Dangers including spies, the occasional supply run, enclave patrols(on foot and w/ vertibird), etc.
Have you read my edit? I'd like to take @AlphaPromethean's feedback into consideration.

Anyway, @Hassknecht is it okay if we begin to discuss this kind of thing immediately in this thread? Or is this thread is exclusively for knowing whether NMA were interested in doing this at all?

This sounds like a very interesting project, but I don't have any experience with PnP and I doubt my writing would be better than Emil's, so I won't really be able to help unfortunately.

I mgiht be able to do some minor contributions though.

I'm up for doing this.
As I've said before, it could help me in the future if I decide to create my own RPG (plus Chris Avellone did recommend that I GM an RPG and such).

Currently thinking of an idea to play on the theme of 'No Mutants Allowed'.
My initial idea is like this; during a campaign a player character can undergo mutation when exposed to mutagens such as radiation of DNA altering viruses (wild ones and controlled ones)
Depending on the dice rolls mutations can be beneficial such as increasing stats or giving the player additional abilities such as psionics, night vision, immunity to certain conditions), or disabilities and increasing weaknesses (loosing agility or mental strength or catching some kind of disease)

Controlled mutation in general leads to improvement but the player might need to pay a scientist for this or find rare Pre Apocalypse equipment that can induce such type of mutations.

There would be organizations/factions out that frown upon modification of the human baseline genetics.

Currently thinking of an idea to play on the theme of 'No Mutants Allowed'.
My initial idea is like this; during a campaign a player character can undergo mutation when exposed to mutagens such as radiation of DNA altering viruses (wild ones and controlled ones)
Depending on the dice rolls mutations can be beneficial such as increasing stats or giving the player addition abilities such as psionics, night vision, immunity to certain conditions), or disabilities and increasing weaknesses (loosing agility or mental strength or catching some kind of disease)

Controlled mutation in general leads to improvement but the player might need to pay a scientist for this or find rare Pre Apocalypse equipment that can induce such type of mutations.

There would be organizations/factions out that frown upon modification of the human baseline genetics.

Sounds like a good idea IMO. I could see there being a faction made up of psykers, who gained their abilities from genetic modification.

Have you read my edit? I'd like to take @AlphaPromethean's feedback into consideration.

Anyway, @Hassknecht is it okay if we begin to discuss this kind of thing immediately in this thread? Or is this thread is exclusively for knowing whether NMA were interested in doing this at all?
It's ok to start discussing stuff, but I wouldn't bother going in too deep right now :D

Personally, I want this to be Fallout, not a new IP, but Fallout the way we want it in terms of lore and setting. Since it's a non-commercial thing there shouldn't be any issues with the rights to the IP and so on, it's basically elaborate fanfiction.
As for post-nuclear vs. post-post-apocalypse, I think that can be solved by time periods. So far Fallout has shown nothing that wasn't at least like 80 years after the War, and the period between the War and Fallout 1 could potentially be a lot more barbaric and apocalyptic than what is shown later. On the other hand, the themes of civilisatory growing pains and so on can be explored in later years, post-Fallout 1.
Just set some campaigns earlier, some later. The basic rulebook would contain just a timeline of major events and descriptions of important locations, everything else would be part of the campaigns (that obviously need to be written carefully as to not contradict each other).

So, the poll looks pretty conclusive, can we get that subforum?
Also, I agree with Hassknecht, I'd prefer a Fallout P&P over a new IP, especially considering the amount of pre-existing post-apocalyptic P&P RPGs, if you want one of those just go buy D20 Apocalypse, GURPS apocalypse and all the other miscellaneous post-apoc RPGs. Generic apocalypse designs have been done already, while Fallout still requires a revival.

Last edited:
Wouldn't agreeing on the setting and the history behind it be more important for something like this? Fallout is a divergence from the 50's that lead up to the future where it fell into a nuclear war. West-Tek having FEV and being nuked so that it spread across the wastes is a big factor in how things mutated and shit.

So what's the idea behind "No Mutants Allowed" exactly?

I've had an idea for a post-apocalyptic setting myself where science started to heavily lean towards gene manipulation and using controlled mutation in people to grant them hybrid abilities to enhance their bodies in various ways. A detective might get themselves a mutation where they get genes from a dog that mutates their nose specifically so that they can smell things as accurately as they can. A miner might get the genes of a gorilla or something to enhance their muscles. This setting I had in mind would end up in a nuclear war ultimately but the main problem would be that this world has started to get more and more bio-logical/chemical warfare. A vaccine was developed by a altruistic organization that had a feeling that the world was heading towards an end and wanted to save as many people as possible world-wide through whatever means necessary that creates self-replicating supercells within people meant to battle any disease and shit that it can and alter the body in whatever way it can to create a symbiosis if it can't kill off the foreign invading viruses and shit. Well, nuclear war eventually happens along with full scale bio-logical/chemical warfare and those vaccinated start to... Change... The game would take place generations after the big war happened and during that time those mutated with different genes would have changed. Hybrids would be almost anthromorphic whereas those vaccinated without hybrid gene manipulation might have mutated in some other weird ways to give us things like Ghouls from Fallout.

Humans would actually be outnumbered by the massive amount of mutants out there but no "type" of mutant would outnumber humans on their own.

It's just a pitch that I've been thinking about. Point is, get an idea for the setting going first that sounds really interesting that make others get hyped and get on board. It'd be easier to develop something to be excited about. Creating rule-sets and shit without an idea for what type of setting you want seems like a lot of work towards something that may possibly-maybe interest you.

The genetic modifications/races could be different classes/characters/whole campaigns right?
I'm thinking on more of a journey or a caravan of people, the players, to a specific place.
Really examplified by FTL: Faster Than Light or March of the Living, that just came out.

I'd like to help too, dunno in what though, basic idea on PnP's. Just sign me on the list! :D

Seeing how everyone wants to help I might be able to do something myself.

However, I have got no experience in designing games, but I could do something like along the lines of writing a side story or a character.

I definitely don't think I could write a main plot and all the things and such. So I guess sign me up.

I'm gonna quickly note down that we should probably agree on a basic concept, as Mr. Fish said, before we start actually coming up with shit. Furthermore, we probably shouldn't start any work on this (conceptual or otherwise) before the subforum is set up.
So what's the idea behind "No Mutants Allowed" exactly?
The ideal, from my understanding, is that it's an easy to understand ruleset that roughly simulates the Fallout play and writing style; beyond that, as with most P&P games, it's whatever you want it to be, depending on how much work you want to put into it.

Alright, so we're not doing a new IP? We're doing Fallout as we see fit? Well, before we delve deep into the details let's get the basics of the setting established, then we can organize teams of who is doing what, what system we're going to use, who's going to oversee everything etc. etc. before we start writing a story/setting/lore/characters.

Well, I say we should decide now what's canon before anything else. Fallout 1 and 2, obviously. But what about Van Buren or New Vegas? Considering there's a lot of crossover between the two and the interpretations are wildly different in some areas, I'm afraid we're going to have to choose one or the other. Alternately we could skirt pass the issue entirely by making out setting after Fallout 2 but prior to New Vegas/Van Buren, but I'd rather we set the record straight.

Well, I say we should decide now what's canon before anything else. Fallout 1 and 2, obviously. But what about Van Buren or New Vegas? Considering there's a lot of crossover between the two and the interpretations are wildly different in some areas, I'm afraid we're going to have to choose one or the other. Alternately we could skirt pass the issue entirely by making out setting after Fallout 2 but prior to New Vegas/Van Buren, but I'd rather we set the record straight.
That's a difficult choice. I'd say that we don't acknowledge either for the moment, have the first campaign set either at a different geographical location or before/after Fallout 1/2 and cross the NV/VB bridge when and if we come to it.
My personal opinion is that, since it's basically fan fiction, we can alternate between the two continuities for each campaign (after all, it's not like all the D&D modules line up into a continuity).

I would love to be involved in this.

I was a DM for several years and also dabbled in World of Darkness for a bit...

I also have been thinking about making my own PnP system for a few months now so this would be perfect, because I took as a hobby to make a new PnP system but I knew I would never really finish it and put much effort on it because I was doing it alone and not really seriously :aiee:.

Well I had made a few notes already in the past for it and those could be used I guess, if there is any interest in making this project use a new made system of course :drunk:.

I can't offer much in terms of skills besides ideas and help with a new PnP system like I said before, I can use basic photoshop skills but I am sure there are better people around here for that, I can help with story and settings but once again I am pretty sure others are better for that (@Knight In Leather Armor and @Mutant Screg).

Well whatever I can do to help just give me a shout :postviper:.

Just a thought here, but looking over the Van Buren Design Documents has proven interesting. Not sure if this was already part of the plan, but they had some pretty interesting ideas.

Each of the design documents had a section on what could be done by Science characters, Diplomatic characters, Stealth characters and Combat characters, in response to particular problems. On top of this, they also had a variety of Moral Dilemmas, and different ways areas would react to companions(While maybe not perfect for a group game, perhaps NPCs would react similarly to different types of character)

But what about Van Buren or New Vegas?
I personally vote New Vegas. Since we've actively played NV, and have characters in said game, it therefore IMO overrides that of Van Buren. However, that isn't to say that the events of Van Buren cannot be canon, you'd just have to rewrite it a little bit to fit with New Vegas.

As I said, my intention with this was to make a Fallout game, not a new IP.
However, there's no reason why the ruleset, as soon as it's developed, couldn't be used to fuel an original setting as well (with slight modifications if necessary -> psykers and specific mutations). I can already see people fighting over who can use the name "No Mutants Allowed"...

But for now I'd like keep it at Fallout.
So people seem to be quite enthusiastic about it, and I think enough people are interested in helping. I'll check in with the staff if we can get a new subforum going on.

Back