A Fallout 4 Total Conversion: What Would Need To Be Done

Oh, I was talking to eissa, it's the idea for DUST sequel. This is meant to break the cycle of "Kill, Loot, Return". Discourage combat since reinforcements are coming.

it appeared that the perk and dialogue systems are hard coded, so... good luck making a good Fallout 4 total conversion with those two crippling "features" stapled onto the game.
I'm late again but still, at least it's possible to not strict dialogs to negative respone/positive response/question/sarcrasm by writing more clever dialogs. Or workaround. If it says 'negative response' in the editor, it's not necessary to write negative response dialog.

Last edited:
You'd be making a whole new game pretty much, and a lot of crappy stuff is hardcoded in Fallout 4. I've already said this before, but if you want to do something like this than it'd be best just starting from scratch using a different engine. No reason to do all that work on something like the creation engine when there are more modern advanced engines out there.

NV engine is outdated compared to 4, but it still is somehow better in most aspects other than a few graphics nitpicks. Everything in that idea can and has been done with new vegas. If any team is willing to try overhaul fo4, more power to them, but I personally think any effort they spend on the new creation kit would be better spent on the nv version, which has much more history, support, freedom, and proof of concepts with its modding community

NV engine is outdated compared to 4, but it still is somehow better in most aspects other than a few graphics nitpicks. Everything in that idea can and has been done with new vegas. If any team is willing to try overhaul fo4, more power to them, but I personally think any effort they spend on the new creation kit would be better spent on the nv version, which has much more history, support, freedom, and proof of concepts with its modding community

There is of course a real problem with New Vegas: after spending 2300 hours with it and trying loads and loads of mods, I'm all played out of New Vegas. I have my Courier, we've gone on wonderous adventures, and I'm done. To the point, that when/if Fallout frontier comes out, I'll roll a new character for it.

And I have to be frank, the shooting and AI is better in 4. It's a better platform. But to be perfectly honest, if I wanted to 'overhaul' Fallout 4, I'd write a new version of Fallout 4 and make it as a mod on a better engine. Fuck if I had the talent to overhaul Fallout 4m I'd make my own game.

Shall we make bets on how long this will last?

And I think it is save to assume that Fallout Lonestar is dead now, I have not seen an update in ages.

Shall we make bets on how long this will last?

And I think it is save to assume that Fallout Lonestar is dead now, I have not seen an update in ages.

Have you been keeping up?! They're fixing the dialougesystem AND putting skills back in. AND, they're going to make a port of skills for vanilla Fallout 4. They look like the real deal.

Have you been keeping up?! They're fixing the dialougesystem AND putting skills back in. AND, they're going to make a port of skills for vanilla Fallout 4. They look like the real deal.

I know it sounds very good, but I know from experience that these projects never tend to get finished.
After an initial good start and sometimes real progress they fizzle out because the people involved have real life matters to attend to such as family or work, or people just loose interest in continuing on it.

The only projects that still are going on after all this time are Mutants Rising and perhaps Project Brazil and the Fallout NV-Fallout 1 conversion.

It is the sad truth about fan projects of this size.

I know it sounds very good, but I know from experience that these projects never tend to get finished.
After an initial good start and sometimes real progress they fizzle out because the people involved have real life matters to attend to such as family or work, or people just loose interest in continuing on it.

The only projects that still are going on after all this time are Mutants Rising and perhaps Project Brazil and the Fallout NV-Fallout 1 conversion.

It is the sad truth about fan projects of this size.

Oh Fuck I'm aware of that. I can't finish a goddmaned fanfiction. It's just....it's soon for cynicism. Now, I didn't become cyncial until after I played 78 hours of Fallout 4, which is becoming cyncial; far too late, but, there's a balance to be had. If it comes, it comes, and if it doesn't, you've lost nothing. Certainly if you don't have the piece of shit that is Fallout 4, don't buy it until Casadia comes out and only if the reviews are good, andFallout 4 is bundled, and it's on sale for 75% off.

There are plenty of projects like this that succeeded, such as:
  • Fallout 1.5 Ressurection
  • Fallout of Nevada
  • Fallout Online.
Just because lots fizzled doesn't mean they all do.

There are plenty of projects like this that succeeded, such as:
  • Fallout 1.5 Ressurection
  • Fallout of Nevada
  • Fallout Online.
Just because lots fizzled doesn't mean they all do.

Okay, I forgot to include those when I wrote my response to Charwo, but still the number of the projects that actually gets finished are smaller than the number of projects that are started.

And sometimes it is such a big shame that projects get canceled because as some of them include really good ideas for factions and locations such as Fallout Yurop, and even Fallout Lonestar had some good ones such as El Paso, the Wall, the Van Buren prison, background lore in which it was revealed that before the great war drug cartels had switched to smuggling oil.

I wish that at least all of those ideas could be salvaged and not be lost.

Oh Fuck I'm aware of that. I can't finish a goddmaned fanfiction. It's just....it's soon for cynicism. Now, I didn't become cyncial until after I played 78 hours of Fallout 4, which is becoming cyncial; far too late, but, there's a balance to be had. If it comes, it comes, and if it doesn't, you've lost nothing. Certainly if you don't have the piece of shit that is Fallout 4, don't buy it until Casadia comes out and only if the reviews are good, and Fallout 4 is bundled, and it's on sale for 75% off.

I am the same regarding fan fiction, you are not the only one. I still have a big pile of Star Trek fan fiction ideas for stories that I have not finished because of psychological issues and because my interest in Star Trek is waning.

I don't want to be cynical but when one has been so often disappointed in the past one has pretty much set up to expect failure when a project like this is announced.

I am willing to give Fallout Casadia a chance should it be finished but I want to read what other people think of it when the first version is put online for people to download before I get it myself.
And I am definitely not planning to get Fallout 4 in anticipation for its release, I made that mistake with an upcoming Star Trek mod that was being made for Crysis 2.
I bought Crysis 2 on Steam and gave that a try while waiting for the Star Trek mod, discovering that I not really liked Crysis 2 at all.
When it was announced that the Star Trek project was canceled (well actually the developers did not even mention that, they just stopped updating their moddb page) I felt rather conned in buying a game that I did not even want to finish.

Fallout NV conversion of 1 has been "on hiatus" for over a year. The project is dead. Project Brazil is very, very linear. Just watch the alpha gameplay they've uploaded (the YouTube Channel's name is RadianHelixMedia). Haven't ever heard of Mutants Rising though.

We can only hype on The Frontier and Cascadia.

I am also a bit skeptical about Cascadia because I have been in the modding scene for some time and I have seen (and been part of) big projects come and go, die and be abandoned, etc.

But I am also a bit hopeful because Cascadia project has something that no other project ever had at such scale, and that is manpower.
Most big projects are lucky to have a team with ten people and these things will take years to make. Life gets in the way, people have to stop working on it for lack of time, others just lose interest, etc. So the teams just start to fade. Projects that end up being completed are ones that have always a core group of members and manage to recruit more when they need it.
Now Cascadia has a staggering 115 members in their team. I have never seen a modding project contain so many people at once and they are not in this for money either since they refuse donations and suggest people to donate to a charity in their name instead. This many people on the team makes it so if a few leave during the years, they will still have enough manpower to keep going for a while and have plenty of time to recruit more if they need to.

Now another thing that makes me worry about it is that most of the names in their team are not known modders or don't seem to have made any noteworthy mods.
Although I am not into the FO4 modding scene I have a feeling that some of these are people who agreed to join the team but will not do much at all or get bored or unhappy with the work it will take and leave or be kicked out.

We will see what the future brings. I like to advertise it because if it delivers half of what they promise it will be good for those who own the game and have no fun playing it. Just like Enderal is making me enjoy Skyrim now, while I always got bored of the base game.

I honestly would like to see us NMA'ers coming together and starting a project on what we think a Fallout game should be like. 3rd person turn based or First Person real time.
But that is not going to happen, for one we lack the organization, skills, and leadership in general.

I honestly would like to see us NMA'ers coming together and starting a project on what we think a Fallout game should be like. 3rd person turn based or First Person real time.
But that is not going to happen, for one we lack the organization, skills, and leadership in general.
Ah... The dreams... Make Black Isle members come back... But all I can say right now is...
* starts playing *

On a more serious note, I don't truly understand why there should be a major project with leadership, focusing ONLY on theorizing what the perfect game would be like. It's not like those theories are going to become true any time soon. But then again, it comes from a teen who doesn't even have a damn passport.

I was snooping around the Nexus after a NV modding binge and saw a few potential mods which remove essentiality, remake the dialogue system (if only in appearance), remove voice acting (for the player so far....) and tackle the perk-skill-level system.

There's some hope that something good can arise outta this. Maybe something akin to Underrail or Avernum, a rpg without VA for dialogue (instead for taunts and background chatter?) with a more classical perk-skill-level system. Hopefully.

That, or we can just all get unity, unreal rpgmaker, or gamemaker and churn out our own little games.

Back