After only 20 years of neglect... or how post apocaliptia shouldn't look like.

Holy... I stopped reading this discussion half way through :D

I really can't contribute anything, but just dipping my toe in all that info was enough to overload my brain for a while on Fallout info. lol

hmm... how did we come here?

Wanna know what bugs the shit out of me?

The fact that nothing in the Capital Wasteland is overgrown with local (possibly mutated) flora. It's bare fucking concrete and rubble all around. That area of the United States is not exactly fucking bereft of hardy flora.

I mean, this is more of a BethFallout thing, I'll concede, but whence cometh the relatively barren-feeling areas in NorCal in FO2? Some trees, yeah, but DIRT DIRT DIRT DIRT EVERYWHERE DIRT beneath them. Buildings not overgrown with ivies or what-have-you. It makes no sense to me.

The entire scenario makes NO SENSE. It is what old dumbass FRIDGE GHOUL KID really represents. NEWSFLASH: FALLOUT 1 and 2 should not have been placed in one giant desert realistically speaking. People whining about that in Fallout 3 must think California is just one giant desert.

img_5970.jpg

1200px-California%27s_Central_Valley.JPG

new-plants-dry-brush-california-260nw-768449839.jpg

800.jpeg

winding-desert-road-viewed-above-260nw-767898901.jpg

gravel-road-southern-california-provides-260nw-1076155358.jpg

narrow-lane-canyon-california-hills-260nw-619486979.jpg

Actually I find a lot of complaints about the series in general are absurd to the extreme. It is all about gameplay first with me, then writing, then whether the setting makes sense or not.

I see people bitch about Fallout 3 not having any vegetation then turn around and slurp on Fallout 1 and 2's nuts and it just bugs me. AND I REALLY DISLIKE FALLOUT 3!

Fallout is based on a different set of rules, though, there nuclear war turns everything into a desert. It's mostly a reference to all the PA fiction where the world was depicted as just that.
As such I don't mind Fallout 3 also being very deserty.

Fallout is based on a different set of rules, though, there nuclear war turns everything into a desert. It's mostly a reference to all the PA fiction where the world was depicted as just that.
As such I don't mind Fallout 3 also being very deserty.

OK, going from this - why the fuck did they make FNV NCR troopers say shit like the "Makes you wish for a nuclear winter" when there is pretty much no sign of a nuclear winter having occurred anywhere (meaning that the very TERM "nuclear winter" would probably not have even been in their vocabularies)? If they're throwing real science under the bus for pulp SCIENCE! to begin with you'd think they would have actually put a nuclear winter in. I think the closest thing we get to a reference to nuclear winter is in the Survivalist's notes, come to think of it, and I don't recall it being an unseasonable/out-of-season winter like you'd expect a nuclear winter to be - it was just winter time in post-apoc land IIRC.

OK, going from this - why the fuck did they make FNV NCR troopers say shit like the "Makes you wish for a nuclear winter" when there is pretty much no sign of a nuclear winter having occurred anywhere (meaning that the very TERM "nuclear winter" would probably not have even been in their vocabularies)? If they're throwing real science under the bus for pulp SCIENCE! to begin with you'd think they would have actually put a nuclear winter in. I think the closest thing we get to a reference to nuclear winter is in the Survivalist's notes, come to think of it, and I don't recall it being an unseasonable/out-of-season winter like you'd expect a nuclear winter to be - it was just winter time in post-apoc land IIRC.

They were saying they were hot....and there was a line in the old games about a short cold period I thought?

Re: first link - yeah, the snow entry is from January. Snow in January is pretty normal in this hemisphere.
Second link - THERE we go. Still, that is some time after the bombs fell. You'd think by the time 2130 rolled around the ejecta from the nukes in 2077 would have settled?

Trying to remember how quickly/how long the big-ass volcanic eruptions in the past disrupted weather patterns. Closest thing we have to a point of reference for the concept of a nuclear winter.

Either way it's a throwaway flavor reference only we give two shits about. Writers throw stuff like this in all the time.

"Hey, let me mention Oregon briefly and then never again so people can wonder."

Either way it's a throwaway flavor reference only we give two shits about. Writers throw stuff like this in all the time.

"Hey, let me mention Oregon briefly and then never again so people can wonder."

>tfw Fallout's concept is pretty cool but the writing/worldbuilding is actually borderline garbage-tier
>tfw this is actually an IMPROVEMENT over what most other games/gameworlds have to offer

>tfw Fallout's concept is pretty cool but the writing/worldbuilding is actually borderline garbage-tier
>tfw this is actually an IMPROVEMENT over what most other games/gameworlds have to offer

I've harped on Codex about it a bit. It boils down to the lack of original settings killing RPG's. Look at the TURNBASED RPG REVIVAL! All generic fantasy and one or two Fallout ripoffs. Some weebz shit and a few Cthulhu RPG's that probably won't be that great.

Back