Any games like Fallout?

Soulburner: I haven't played Baldur's Gate very far, but when you are first starting out you really need to use ranged weapons. For some reason, I think slings were better (ammo availability?). You pretty much survive the early game of baldur's gate by having one character attacking with a sling and the other guy runs away until they change targets.

mobucks said:
I would DnD Baldur's Gate (2) or Icewind Dale (2) before Planescape.

BG = Traditional RPG

IWD = "Tactics" RPG (combat heavy)

PS:T =

law-books.jpg

Yah mean too much text or overall long game?

Hey, thanks for replying. I finished both Baldur's Gate games and I loved them no less than Fallout (nothing beats Fallout, though). I tried Icewind Dale but it's too combat oriented, I like reading dialogs and trying to be smart ;) I love how IWD looks, but the constant combat is not for me. And even though I understood the DnD rules enough to enjoy Baldur's Gate combat, the party I created for IWD1 is incapable of anything else than dropping like flies. Perhaps I shall return to it some day.

Playing Planescape: Torment now. I re-downloaded all the fixes and a newer version of the widescreen patch and it works OK now, so far at least. I probably look like this all the time when I play it -> :shock: It's just so amazing!

Here's my tip for IWD: make a party of three multi-class characters. F/C, F/M and F/T.

One more question about Planescape: where/how to get the most copper coins? I'm in desperate need for more ;)
I know I probably won't have 20000 coins suddenly, but maybe you'd have some tips?

soulburner said:
Hey, thanks for replying. I finished both Baldur's Gate games and I loved them no less than Fallout (nothing beats Fallout, though). I tried Icewind Dale but it's too combat oriented, I like reading dialogs and trying to be smart ;) I love how IWD looks, but the constant combat is not for me. And even though I understood the DnD rules enough to enjoy Baldur's Gate combat, the party I created for IWD1 is incapable of anything else than dropping like flies. Perhaps I shall return to it some day.

Playing Planescape: Torment now. I re-downloaded all the fixes and a newer version of the widescreen patch and it works OK now, so far at least. I probably look like this all the time when I play it -> :shock: It's just so amazing!

Yes! Words can hardly describe it!

Did you know they're making a sequel? :)

Are browser based Post Apoc games allowed to be mentioned or are you looking for strictly a PC type game? What about console games like the "Last of Us" which, to be honest I haven't played, but it does look pretty cool :)

McCragge

Strangely I got similar vibe from Temple of Elemental Evil. It's Dungeon & Dragons, but the way you use skills and having multiple routes to finish a quest was quite similar.

Also the combat in this game is such a blast. Best turn-based system I've ever seen.

I haven't tried them but Geneforge/Avernum series seem promising.

They were turn-based RPG, that were released in the 90s and early 2000s and seemed to disregard graphism to increase non linear storylines.

Also, i was wondering if there were more games in those areas :
- Games in which the best characters (npcs/pcs) could critically fail and lose agains't shitty ones and the opposite. I find funny and immersive to see that from time to time. (it doesn't have to be often)
- RPG games, in a non Heroic fantasy setting, without any trolls, goblins, sorcerers, wathever, beside Fallout/Planescape torment. And not classic knight era games. And i mean real RPG with great storyline, and a big focus in the ability to play a large variety of non combat oriented roles. Not different kind of way to kill monsters. (without repeating those already mentioned) I am tired of Dungeon and dragons setting. I feel like a fish out of its water.

Last edited:
^Not too many games are similar to Fallout but Arcanum was developed by Tim Cain after the company broke up and is worth a glance.

There are more and more game developed in the style of the original Fallout titles as time goes on. As seems to be the case, a game only gets so far with its original development, or mood, or setting, or "integrity", before it becomes bastardized and largely unrecognizable from the originals, and after a few year totally UNRELATED games come around that do it better than the game's own most-recent sequels. On this subforum alone we've seen advertisement for some great (largely indie) games that emulated the original Fallout titles far better than other games. As far as I'm aware, they're not completed (yet), but there's more to choose from besides titles that came out 15-20 years ago. I'm personally looking out for After Reset the most out of the lot.

Are browser based Post Apoc games allowed to be mentioned or are you looking for strictly a PC type game? What about console games like the "Last of Us" which, to be honest I haven't played, but it does look pretty cool :)

McCragge

The Last of Us??? You gotta be joking. What is there similar to =Fallout?

Isn't that something to the like of Fallout: Tactics?

Tactics has a VERY "Fallout 1" feel to it, despite the fact that it's a tactical RPG, not a character driven story RPG.

As for TLU... naturally anything "post apocalypse" can be misconstrued as "Fallout" to some people. Or perhaps they saw more similarities all because of Vault 22 in FONV and they didn't understand the question was asking about games closer to the originals?

Back