Brian Fargo considers Kickstarter for Wasteland 2

Tagaziel

Panzerkatze
Orderite
As reported by Daeity of the blog that takes its name from a Freudian anxiety, Brian Fargo (the father of Wasteland and the man responsible for not cancelling Fallout) is considering using Kickstarter to fund the development of Wasteland 2.

This is following Obsidian's Chris Avellone talking about Kickstarter fever and looking for feedback. Obsidian's Kickstarter project is officially outside of our scope for now but we're following both of these developments with interest.

Thanks, anonymous reporter who may or may not be Daeity.

I would support this. I've never actually played Wasteland but Bard's Tale on iOs is a ton of fun so hopefully he'll consider it as a platform if this ever gets going.

Daeity has a point that this market might get saturated too. It'll be hard enough for both Obsidian and InXile already to get even an adequate RPG budget. I mean, 1.7M that DoubleFine got is great for an adventure game, but it's not much for an RPG, and I dunno if they'd even get that.

Gotta carefully plan around that, especially for something as bigname as Wasteland 2. Obsidian will presumably make a new IP. All these suggestions they should work with a license and thus a publisher kind of defeats the whole Kickstarter idea.

Had sent a report to NMA news team about that link with Chris Avellone almost one week ago already :-(

Several people did, and we already knew about it anyway. It wasn't worth its own newspost since we're not an Obsidian or even general RPG fansite. We might be interested depending on what it is exactly, and we'll certainly post if they put up a Kickstarter page, but otherwise, there was nothing to post about.

While I hope kickstarter will take off, I kind of doubt Wasteland would get enough pledges. Double Fine has a lot more goodwill and...prestige, then Inxile, despite Fargo's Interplay and Fallout history.

Still, would be nice. I would throw some money at it, if a good team was behind it.

It heavily depends on how a possible Wasteland 2 would be like. If it would be like the original, I'd gladly pay for it, but I doubt that so many other people would. If it ends up like the latest Bard's Tale game, I somehow wouldn't want to give money.

Well, making it more like the classic might be cheaper than doing what Inxile has been doing with their action RPG's. They wouldn't have to focus so much on presentation, graphics, and flashy animation, which to my knowledge is what makes video games so expensive to make.

Yea, this anyway. Let's say 1 million for an rpg- pretty sure it can't be based on lots of fancy graphics.

I am a bit on the fence about this.

At one side Inxile has not made such an impressive record though I like Choplifter HD.

But on the other hand I would love to see a new PA game based on the Wasteland universe and that plays very old school rather than a FPS with stat building elements.

I wish Fargo would come to this forum and answer some questions we might have.

The Dutch Ghost said:
I am a bit on the fence about this.

At one side Inxile has not made such an impressive record though I like Choplifter HD.

But on the other hand I would love to see a new PA game based on the Wasteland universe and that plays very old school rather than a FPS with stat building elements.

I wish Fargo would come to this forum and answer some questions we might have.

I agree. That would be nice. I have a craving for old school RPG's right now. I would hate for someone to do it wrong though.

Brother None said:
Obsidian will presumably make a new IP

Aren't they busy with the South Park RPG right now? I mean sure, they might make a new IP, but I don't think we will be hearing from it anytime soon.

Serge 13 said:
Brother None said:

Aren't they busy with the South Park RPG right now? I mean sure, they might make a new IP, but I don't think we will be hearing from it anytime soon.

Yeah they are. Maybe after that though.

Serge 13 said:
Brother None said:

One team is. Obsidian employs multiple teams. The company is a bit bigger than it should be, to be honest. If anything, they need another project.

That's not to say we'll be hearing much soon, since they'd have to get the project rolling and that'll take a while, but South Park RPG has little to do with that.

Brother None said:
One team is. Obsidian employs multiple teams. The company is a bit bigger than it should be, to be honest.

Hmmm, could this explain why Fallout: NV was so good in the writing department and why Dungeon Siege was so mediocre? Two different teams developing two different games with two different qualities? If so then I would be happy if they would simply have one big ass team focusing on a game like South Park RPG, Planescape 2, New IP etc.

I thought the writing in DS3 was good as well. It's just a different type of game.

Back