Can you finish the game without big guns or energy weapons?

Makatak

First time out of the vault
I completed Fallout 1 a few days ago as a heavy gun user. And I wondered how much more hard it would be to get through those areas filled with super mutants with only small guns or even small-guns/throwing (grenades) combo. I have a character idea in mind that involves only small guns and probably grenades.

I've beaten Fallout 1 and 2 using only the .223 Blade Runner pistol (after I acquired it, obviously.) That gun is so pretty.

The .223 pistol is definitely the best small gun in Fallout 1. FO2 has a few more options - needler pistol with AP ammo, gauss pistol/rifle.

Yeah, but Rick Deckard didn't use any of that faggoty shit. He had a .223 and he fucking liked it.

.223 FTW

i carry around that and a sniper rifle for long range attacks, use it for most of my small gun stuff for a whole game sometimes. if i don't use energy weapons for a session, i use those almost exclusively.

i almost NEVER use big guns. i should play a character with a big gun skill someday. of the dozens of times i have played FO 1 & 2 - i never developed big guns as a skill.

There's a nasty bug in that if you fire a burst at someone with a corpse in between, all but one shot hit the corpse. Every time. If that could be fixed, big guns would be a lot more useful. As it is, the miniguns/machine guns are only good for softening up crowds from a distance. Flamers' short range and heavy fuel limit their usefulness. The only time it's really worth lugging one around is clearing out the wanamingo min. Rockets do lots of damage, even to power armor - more variable, but on average explosive rockets are about the same as gauss and pulse rifles, and AP rockets do significantly more damage. Too heavy to carry many around, though, unless you have some NPCs. Just remember not to give Marcus a launcher as well.

Meh, I think the chaos is part of the fun/realism/charm. Real people do stupid things sometimes, and real fighting is chaotic. I doubt I can burst any smg/mini gun "past" any team mates and hit only the enemies.

It's perfectly fine using only small arms, you can even be a melee or HtH only player. Heck, you can go the whole way pretty much without fighting.

Sniper rifle or a .44 Magnum revolver is fine for anything until you hit people wearing advanced powered armors. After that, it's either aimed shots or have fun with something with more bursting power.

The Bozar is king...

Yeah, I finished it once with just a magnum :) That was fun. I usually play melee though, I find the Super Sledge just so pleasing.

Starseeker said:
Meh, I think the chaos is part of the fun/realism/charm. Real people do stupid things sometimes, and real fighting is chaotic. I doubt I can burst any smg/mini gun "past" any team mates and hit only the enemies.

Amen, brother. I find it amazing how many FO fans complain about this aspect of the game. I find the 'chaos' factor in FO very entertaining, realistic, immersive, and in fact it makes me laugh more than any other part of the game .... well said. :clap:

I beat Fallout 1 using the super sledge more than 90% of the time. I only used the blade runner pistol when I didn't feel like chasing down someone who was running away.

I am currently playing Fallout 2 using NO WEAPONS at all, just unarmed attacks. After figuring out some basic strategies I am having good success and expect that I will be able to complete Fallout 2 using solely unarmed combat.

So to answer your question, yes you can complete Fallout without big guns or energy weapons. It's not even hard to do so.

Heh. Actually, there's quite a few choice places to raise your Unarmed skills in F2 for free, andx you can develop quite a force by using the special, critical-strike evoking attacks late in the game, even with a bare hand.

I would recommend you use a Power Fist against the most challenging opponents like the robots, though.

Actually I think the gauss rifle is the best gun in the whole game; luck 10, sniper perk and a gauss rifle, and you can clear the whole enclave without having to use a single stimpak (unless those bastards get lucky and hit an armor-piercing critical, even an advanced power armor mk 2 won't save you then from those gauss rifles and/or turrets' heavy miniguns.)

Frank Horrigan@BIS said:
The Red Ryder LE BB Gun is also pretty neat if you should come across it. Actually, I prefer using the rifle over the .223 pistol in Fallout.

Shame there is so little ammo for this thing in game. But I agree its a fun rifle. I also like the H&K G11E, although it also suffers from the lack of ammo but apart from that its a lot of fun.

Back