Can you really call yourself a Fallout fan if you love Fallout 4, honestly?

What can I say man, I love Minecraft :-).

Plus the fact that I'm autistic predisposes me to hyper-focusing on dumb shit like that lmfao.
I'm not sure if my teacher said I was very artistic or autistic ! Anyway I have some kinda control freakery with games. Playing the old Industry Giant2 I would get pissed off if a truck was running without cargo. Playing Tropico my comrades lived in luxury lol

I'm not sure if my teacher said I was very artistic or autistic ! Anyway I have some kinda control freakery with games. Playing the old Industry Giant2 I would get pissed off if a truck was running without cargo. Playing Tropico my comrades lived in luxury lol
When I play Tropico I always put on the infinite money and resource settings and I ALWAYS line up the houses in a very nice row. If they aren't perfectly in order than I get absolutely enraged and anxious and turn the game off or demolish every single thing on the Island and start over.

My main issue (amongst many) with Fo4 and indeed, all of the bethesda installments, is quest markers. There's no exploration or search element to these games anymore, you're just following gps guidance at this point.

Look, if a certain Moira Brown tells me to go search for medical supplies in Super Duper mart, that implies the whereabouts of the supplies aren't known. If I show up for the search and there's an arrow point right to the objective than it doesn't feel like I'm accomplishing anything. I'm just following directions. These fetch missions just feel like a trip to the grocery store these days.

Unfortunately the dialogue options in modern fallouts don't provide enough detail to get you pointed in the right direction either, so just turning off the quest marker means you are flying blind.

Only one of my many issues with Fo4, but it's a big one. Games these days are too soft / hand holdy. Simply ramping up combat difficulty to turn enemies into bullet sponges does not make a wholistically difficult game.

My main issue (amongst many) with Fo4 and indeed, all of the bethesda installments, is quest markers. There's no exploration or search element to these games anymore, you're just following gps guidance at this point.

Look, if a certain Moira Brown tells me to go search for medical supplies in Super Duper mart, that implies the whereabouts of the supplies aren't known. If I show up for the search and there's an arrow point right to the objective than it doesn't feel like I'm accomplishing anything. I'm just following directions. These fetch missions just feel like a trip to the grocery store these days.

Unfortunately the dialogue options in modern fallouts don't provide enough detail to get you pointed in the right direction either, so just turning off the quest marker means you are flying blind.

Only one of my many issues with Fo4, but it's a big one. Games these days are too soft / hand holdy. Simply ramping up combat difficulty to turn enemies into bullet sponges does not make a wholistically difficult game.
Lowest common denominator quest design.

Fallout New Vegas is a bit guilty with all the unnecessary quest markers, but the quest design is SO much better, which makes the quest markers a little less annoying.

To be fair though, Fallout 3 and 4 are good "turn your brain off and kill shit" games, something it does much better than 76, with all the dogshit MMO survival mechanics which only serve to make the game an annoying slog.

Lowest common denominator quest design.

Fallout New Vegas is a bit guilty with all the unnecessary quest markers, but the quest design is SO much better, which makes the quest markers a little less annoying.

To be fair though, Fallout 3 and 4 are good "turn your brain off and kill shit" games, something it does much better than 76, with all the dogshit MMO survival mechanics which only serve to make the game an annoying slog.
It's a pity that some kind of slider in games could make puzzling harder easier or non existent. One time in Fallout3 (in a museum ? ) a puzzle involved using mentats to up INT. Games like Other Worlds you end up carrying all kinds of unneeded buffs. Dragon Age Origins 'Lost in dreams' was either players favourite part, or hated. So a good mix of mindless slaughter and puzzles suits me fine.

It's a pity that some kind of slider in games could make puzzling harder easier or non existent. One time in Fallout3 (in a museum ? ) a puzzle involved using mentats to up INT. Games like Other Worlds you end up carrying all kinds of unneeded buffs. Dragon Age Origins 'Lost in dreams' was either players favourite part, or hated. So a good mix of mindless slaughter and puzzles suits me fine.
Unironically, the Bethesda games would be better games if they just removed the quest marker.

While the world is unrealistic, it is filled to the brim with cool shit, and getting rid of the quest marker would make exploration so much more interesting.

I remember back then in 2000s, I was playing one of Runescape quest with the only lead and helpful stuff are from character dialogue, the map, and the quest help/hint from the official website. I did not even know the wiki back then. It was truly immersive experience.

Even singleplayer 3D FPS rpg marketed as part of immersive gang, like Kingdom Come Deliverance still give you quest marker. Even Metro 2033? You still got compass and lighter that pointing toward your destination. Same with Metro Exodus, it is even made more obvious by the in-game map.

Last edited:
Unironically, the Bethesda games would be better games if they just removed the quest marker.

While the world is unrealistic, it is filled to the brim with cool shit, and getting rid of the quest marker would make exploration so much more interesting.
Well an option to do that would help. Compared to PC games from around late 90's 2000+ a few years, virtually all games are dumb as fuck lol. Your comment " Lowest common denominator applies with most games. ie Disco Elysium which is touted as some intellectual masterpiece is " Oh what does this glowing dot tell me ? " OK i will go to that dot and see what it says. Lead around an advanced point and click with some headstuff.

I remember back then in 2000s, I was playing one of Runescape quest with the only lead and helpful stuff is from character dialogue, the map, and the quest help/hint from the official website. I did not even know the wiki back then. It was truly immersive experience.

Even singleplayer 3D FPS rpg marketed as part of immersive gang, like Kingdom Come Deliverance still give you quest marker. Even Metro 2033? You still got compass and lighter that pointing toward your destination. Same with Metro Exodus, it is even made more obvious by the in-game map.
Yeah I agree 100%. I suppose everybody knew games were getting dumbed down. If consoles were blamed , PC owners/players would get called elitist arrogant 4kers that should go back to playing Alpha Centauri or Civ 1. So 1 extreme to the other.

Well an option to do that would help. Compared to PC games from around late 90's 2000+ a few years, virtually all games are dumb as fuck lol. Your comment " Lowest common denominator applies with most games. ie Disco Elysium which is touted as some intellectual masterpiece is " Oh what does this glowing dot tell me ? " OK i will go to that dot and see what it says. Lead around an advanced point and click with some headstuff.
:lol: You make a good point!

Granted tho, the writing is Disco Elysium is arguably better than PS:T.

I don't think this would be out of the realm of possibility. A tuning knob to adjust NPC enemy combat strategy, not just damage, or adding in additional objectives in a mission, or just turning off quest markers are all things that could be implimented.

But unfortunately the money for the develooment is better spent on paint jobs and emote wheels because that's what casuals want these days.

I enjoyed Fallout 4 for what it is, a fun post apocalyptic action adventure inspired by the setting of Fallout. Is it a good Fallout game? No, not even a little bit. I wouldn't really even call it a Fallout game, unless down the line they decide to pull a Dallas and make Fallout 3, 4, and 76 simulations as part of some dumb Vault experiments. That would be an awful way of retconning them out of canon, but I'd take it. Is it a good RPG? Again, nope. It's an action adventure game with RPG-lite mechanics. For what it is, it's a decently fun game. The story sucks, but I tend to just ignore that entirely in later Bethesda games anyway. They haven't been known for good writing in well over a decade.

The game changes so much it's practically unrecognizable as Fallout. The gameplay is dumbed down to practically being a Call of Duty shooter, the lore is pretty much completely raped and killed and replaced with, whatever it is Bethesda thinks they are making (The Institute is the stupidest thing ever), and there is absolutely zero roleplaying. None what so ever. Who's idea was it to give the character a voice? And the stupid references to contemporary culture that they just throw in because, I dunno, laughs I guess. Yeah, the nuking the fridge was hilarious in 2008. Actually, no it never was.

Whatever. Fallout 4 isn't Fallout. Therefore, you aren't truly a Fallout fan if you love this game, as far as I'm concerned.

Who cares about who is and is not a Fallout fan?

I consider myself a Fan and I also like Fallout 4. It shares a top spot with Fallout 2 and Fallout: New Vegas for me, I genuinely couldn't tell you which game I liked more. This is in-part because I don't actually visit the Fallout communities usually. I don't visit Fallout Reddits, or Discords, and I rarely lurk here; though ive been lurking since the 90s. I don't get exposed to people whining about and shitting on the various games and I simply take them for what they are, fun games. FO2 was fun because I grew up with it, bought it in a combo pack with Planescape Torment in like 1999 from Walmart. New Vegas and 4 are fun primarily because of mods, and the earlier Fallouts do not compare, in my opinion, because they lack real mod support. I greatly prefer designing my own experience. I basically don't play games at all today unless they can be modded. I also don't care for Total Conversions, that's just somebody else's game at that point and they usually arent mod compatible, defeats the purpose.

In Fo2, I have done the sniper run, I have done the melee run, I have done the stupid run, I have done the good run, I have done the evil run, I have done the cheaty run.. thats it. I have done all the runs and I did it all when I was a teenager in the 90s. I have put over a thousand hours into New Vegas and the same into 4 and there are still things I can do with the right mod setups. All my runs in Fo2 might amount to a hundred hours, maybe 150? When I sit back and think about what games gave me the most fun, its not the classic games. I still enjoy playing all of the Fallout games. And that's what matters really. I've probably had more fun with the Fallout franchise than you have, in fact I am positive I have.

Who cares about who is and is not a Fallout fan?

I consider myself a Fan and I also like Fallout 4. It shares a top spot with Fallout 2 and Fallout: New Vegas for me, I genuinely couldn't tell you which game I liked more. This is in-part because I don't actually visit the Fallout communities usually. I don't visit Fallout Reddits, or Discords, and I rarely lurk here; though ive been lurking since the 90s. I don't get exposed to people whining about and shitting on the various games and I simply take them for what they are, fun games. FO2 was fun because I grew up with it, bought it in a combo pack with Planescape Torment in like 1999 from Walmart. New Vegas and 4 are fun primarily because of mods, and the earlier Fallouts do not compare, in my opinion, because they lack real mod support. I greatly prefer designing my own experience. I basically don't play games at all today unless they can be modded. I also don't care for Total Conversions, that's just somebody else's game at that point and they usually arent mod compatible, defeats the purpose.

In Fo2, I have done the sniper run, I have done the melee run, I have done the stupid run, I have done the good run, I have done the evil run, I have done the cheaty run.. thats it. I have done all the runs and I did it all when I was a teenager in the 90s. I have put over a thousand hours into New Vegas and the same into 4 and there are still things I can do with the right mod setups. All my runs in Fo2 might amount to a hundred hours, maybe 150? When I sit back and think about what games gave me the most fun, its not the classic games. I still enjoy playing all of the Fallout games. And that's what matters really. I've probably had more fun with the Fallout franchise than you have, in fact I am positive I have.
Fuck me you get your money's worth out of games

Fuck me you get your money's worth out of games

Lol, after years of playing and modding games; Bladur's Gate and IWD series, Diablo 2, Unreal and Doom 2, Minecraft and all of the Bethesda games... yeah its a very hard sell for me to buy a game that isnt able to be modded. A lot of people quote the 60 hours for 60 dollars valuation, for me its more like 100 hours for 10 dollars evaluation. Those games ive listed I have over a thousand hours in (cept maybe Baldur's Gate/IWD), some even more, Skyrim is 3500+ hours and probably my most played game.

I agree that gatekeeping who is and isn't a fan is stupid, no matter what fandom. I personally consider 2 and New Vegas to be the best in the series, but I have a bit of a soft spot for 3 since it's what got me into Fallout to begin with. I didn't play around with mods when I did my one and only runthrough of 4, but I'm thinking of replaying 2 for the third or fourth time, because I tend to bounce between games a lot.

For the record, I didn't like Fallout 4 very much. The improved gunplay was alright and Nick Valentine is actually a great companion, but everything else was the same as or worse than 3. It took me sixty hours to slog through the story and DLCs, and I couldn't tell you anything about what the Institute actually wanted, or what its long term goals and plans were other than "synths, synths everywhere".

I consider Fallout as being two separate things: "classic", which is 1, 2, Tactics, NV, and some of 3 and VB's ideas, and "Bethesda", which is the rest of 3, 4, and 76. While I don't like the direction 3 took and definitely don't like anything about 4 or 76, I just consider them a separate series of games for all intents and purposes. Nothing to be angry over or anything though.

The only thing I get angry about is people here trying to act hard then they stick Pipboy dildos up their ass when people are not looking. It's like just admit you like loot/smash/talk RPG's instead of turn based isometric and be done with it.

The only thing I get angry about is people here trying to act hard then they stick Pipboy dildos up their ass when people are not looking. It's like just admit you like loot/smash/talk RPG's instead of turn based isometric and be done with it.
I think it depends on the loot/smash/talk, because there’s a lot of wiggle room there. Comparing Witcher 3 to Fallout 3, which both fall under that classification, is like comparing sour gummy worms to a pile of white dog shit.

Not really. Either you play isometric TB/RTwP games or you play FPS loot/smash/grab or you play weeb shit. I doubt there are any huge blobber fans here.

Back