Can you Squint and fit Wasteland into Fallout?

Alixen

First time out of the vault
Could they possibly fit the same setting, despite being from differing developers? I'm not asking if they are, because obviously not, but from a nerd who likes the idea... would they fit nicely or is there a lot of overlap or areas that don't fit one another?

I ask because the PnP game in out very own download section tries to do so on a small level. However, this is the same PnP book written before New Vegas, and thus certain parts have been retconned. It is also the same book with half-mutants, and such, agreeing with Marcus' line that it just takes a while for the juices to start flowing so to speak, and that was confirmed as the mutant pulling the COs leg.

I backed Wasteland 2 (enough to get a release download, but not enough for beta, or to my regret physical goodies) purely off the back of my love of Fallout, and knowing Fallout was the spiritual successor to the original i've purchased the first game off Steam.

One area I have learned might be an issue is their aesthetics? I've read that in the same way Fallout has 50s aesthetic, wasteland is very much 80s. This however does not seem insurmountable, as Fallout has its share of 80s too. Another is that the end of the world in Wasteland was in a war between the US and Soviets... but I imagine when the bombs dropped, several nations probably dropped/launched. Sadly, this is the limit of my knowledge without beating the original, and before the release of the sequel.

Just something I wanted to bounce off a few others more knowledgeable than I.

Well, Fallout has a rather different setting as Fallout takes place in a different universe (one that historically diverged from ours in the 1940's) with vastly different physics and technology.
Wasteland on the other hand is based on our world with a nuclear war in the 80's and some science fiction elements.
Of course Fallout borrowed a lot from Wasteland as it was conceived as a sequel in the first place, but now the settings don't really fit together all that well, I think.

I have just spent the last half an hour reading the backstory, and sadly, yeah. There doesn't seem to be a way to realistically hand-wave the differences.

Not necessarily a bad thing. Reading into the backstory has made me look forwards to the release of Wasteland 2, and given me reason to get used to the... 'dated' graphics of the original. It seems a very interesting setting in its own right, if not as fleshed out as Fallout.

I was mostly in it for that Fallout vibe, and now am looking forwards to it, on its own merit.

There is also New Vegas and maybe the Hoover Dam, that already appear into both universes.

Those settings are differents and there are things that would prevent merging both universes, but you can imagine that everything from Wasteland that doesn't contradict Fallout lore could appear on a different way in the Fallout world, like the desert rangers being the same or the creatures that appear in both games. But it would be on your mind and in fanfics.

As Fallout 1 was supposed to be a sequel of Wasteland, there are thing took from Wasteland in every single episode of Fallout, it seems obvious that Wasteland 2 WILL reference Fallout at some point. But at the same time, as i don't think InXile & Bethesda get along pretty well, i think the references won't be obvious and won't be numerous, as the last thing Brian Fargo would want is Bethesda attacking him for copying features from a franchise they "rightfully" own. (even if he created both franchises in the first place)

Last edited:
Excluding the locations that already appeared on Fallout and some backgorund, all the rest can fit into Fallout in some way. Of course you would need to to tweak some of them to fit the universe but it is possible.

IIRC you found a Water Chip #13 on W2. ( with another name)

I think Wasteland was more pulpy and zany while Fallout always tried to have a fairly consistent and low-key setting (except maybe aliens). You'd need to tone one up and/or the other down in order to make them meet.

After having played Fallout and Fallout 2 (RP) extensively over the years, my first impression of this Wasteland 2 release is, ...well, it's Fallout wearing a new coat. The similarities are all too striking, with game plot, events and even some game items so similar that they may as well be twins; if not, then at least very close siblings. Given the fantastic endurance of the Fallout franchise (which ironically is based on the original Wasteland), that's not exactly a bad thing. However, I just wanted to point out that one of the biggest banes that had plagued the FO turn based game sphere seems to also afflict Wasteland 2. Namely, the inability of merchants to have a proper sense of dynamic inventory. They're not really stores, but rather, a pay through the nose locker service. Except for the player, there are no other customers in this universe and after a while, it shows... :roll:

The opposite is also true, to some extend.

Fallout takes a lot from WL1, especially Fo1, not only references & setting, but also story structure.
For instance, the main antagonist of both games could be totally avoided.

Well Interesting Enough, Tycho (A Possible Companion) will mention: "Reminds me of another fat freak my father told me about back in Las Vegas." The Fat Freak Being a Reference to Fat Freddy.

Then There's the Desert Rangers (Arizona/Nevada) of Fallout, there an obvious reference.

In Fallout the Master is located in the south of Los Angeles. In WL2 the Rangers travels to California and encounters Matthias in Seal Beach located south of Los Angeles.

If InXile decides to develop Wasteland: Van Buren maybe they will refer to Wasteland 2 and Matthias instead of the Master?

I'm interested in this game....but it would make it better if I could see at least Wasteland 2 as a prequel to New Vegas. Before the rise of Ceasar's Legion. Can it be done?

I wish. But unfortunately, no. I mean you could fit some references and some small objects from there. But they'd merely be Easter eggs made to please die hards like us.

Without ignoring a ton of plot elements from Fallout, not at all. Wasteland is more of the typical "Russia bombed Amercia fugg now we gotta survive" where as Fallout is much more deeper than that. Wasteland doesn't focus much on the lore and focuses much more on the events that're happening.

Since they go to California at the end of Wasteland 2 i think it's fucked. Otherwise it might have worked.

Back