Fallout 2 mod Classic Fallout engine videos playable ingame in HD resolutions

Hey thanks for sharing the fix for linux users.
As for the ftp, as i said earlier, the router sometimes craps out, and the ftp server goes down. I don't monitor it 24/7 so if it is down please do notify me here in this thread.
I'll try to reboot the router asap then.
Although I won't always be on my desktop, sometimes i'll just power it down..

Ok the ftp server is back up agin. Just remember, it's not an anonymus ftp access, you need to login with ceredentials provided in the first post of this thread. it's read only access.
And as i said chrome, firefox, and edge, have long sice cut support for ftp protocol, you need to use dedicated ftp client, or a niche browser that still supports ftp like pale moon for example. however i advise to stick to something like FileZilla, and it's passive download mode, especially for the latest Fo:Yesterday's videos ( including the ones currently not yet in the game)
Hate my first post to be a request, sorry... Any chance you could bounce that router? Just tried connecting to grab the videos and looks like it's down. Thank you for hosting these.

Hello @gustarballs1983

First, thank you for the hard work on the mod and advise you provide here.

I've tried to copy upscaled Fallout2 vids you've recently uploaded, and they are played perfectly (confirmed upscaled) but I'm not getting the English subtitles either with sfall high res patch or the original one.

For FoEtTu upscaled videos and english subs are working without issues with the original HR patch.
Any hint where I should look for the problems for F2 vids?

Thank you

perhaps try to enable the subtitles in the Fo2 ingame settings..

Hate my first post to be a request, sorry... Any chance you could bounce that router? Just tried connecting to grab the videos and looks like it's down. Thank you for hosting these.

yeah on my way..

sorry for this delay.. yesterday i had a little family holiday ( my mum had 70 bday yesterday), so we went out to a restaurant far beond city boarders, and i was soo pooped when we returned home i went straight to sleep.

perhaps try to enable the subtitles in the Fo2 ingame settings..

They are enabled from the start. Checked multiple times with different combinations of settings.

Path to my F2 installation is D:\Games\GOG\Fallout2
SVE subtitles are unpacked from master.dat to text\english\cuts
MVE files are copied along AVI into data\ART\CUTS
Also tried to copy whole text\english\cuts and data\ART\CUTS from unpacked master.dat

I've also tried to enable debug in sfall settings and got message about subtitle cannot be parsed:

Code:
Playing movie: credits.mve
Opening subtitle file text\english\cuts\credits.SVE
subtitle: couldn't parse
// forgot to add, error is gone after removing empty lines from credits.SVE
// so probably can be ignored

Not sure if that matters

---
EDIT2:
Interesting, I've noticed that subtitles are visible if I switch to resolution with 4:3 aspect ratio with native resolution and in ddraw.ini use full screen (4) or windowed mode (5) only. They are not visible in mode 6 for some reason.

ddraw.ini:
Mode=5 ; or 4
GraphicsWidth=0
GraphicsHeight=0

in f2_res.ini I set for example
SCR_WIDTH=1280
SCR_HEIGHT=960

Then subtitles are visible! However they are in a middle of black bar underneath the video. Not sure if somehow in 16:9 modes the frame with subtitles is somehow cut out?
If I switch to SCR_HEIGHT=720 in f2_res.init then subtitles are gone in EVERY mode.

However strange is that in some modes subtitles are visible only in half.
I'm testing on credits.avi intro video.

Last edited:
default folder path for the subtitles is not fallout2\text\english\cuts\credits.sve but rather fallout2\data\text\english\cuts\credits.sve

other than that,as i said Fo2 videos is a downscaled work of anohter person that also manipulated the frame amout so that the movie has 60fps, unfortuneatly this may have the side effect of breaking subtitle compatibility.. i'll be redoing the upscales ( this time with lower bitrate so the size won't be an issue)

one more question, after you've disabled the built in HRP did you enable Mash's HRP by the .exe patcher? this is mandatory in order for the old HRP to work.. if you didn't You'd run without any HRP.

default folder path for the subtitles is not fallout2\text\english\cuts\credits.sve but rather fallout2\data\text\english\cuts\credits.sve

other than that,as i said Fo2 videos is a downscaled work of anohter person that also manipulated the frame amout so that the movie has 60fps, unfortuneatly this may have the side effect of breaking subtitle compatibility.. i'll be redoing the upscales ( this time with lower bitrate so the size won't be an issue)

one more question, after you've disabled the built in HRP did you enable Mash's HRP by the .exe patcher? this is mandatory in order for the old HRP to work.. if you didn't You'd run without any HRP.

Sorry, my bad, I've posted the path without data subdir, but of course I've put the subtitles in fallout2\data\text\english\cuts\ directory.
Also I've noticed subtitles are working but only under specific circumstances. Please check EDIT2 in my answer above.
To confirm, I'm testing with old Mash's HRP enabled and patched fallout2.exe.

Sorry, my bad, I've posted the path without data subdir, but of course I've put the subtitles in fallout2\data\text\english\cuts\ directory.
Also I've noticed subtitles are working but only under specific circumstances. Please check EDIT2 in my answer above.
To confirm, I'm testing with old Mash's HRP enabled and patched fallout2.exe.

Make an issue on sfall's github page, i already told Nova the subtitle display is weird.
Anyways it looks more as a sfall issue than anything with the upscaled vids. Please go drill a hole in sfall's team stomach's not mine, as there's hardly anything i could do about it, i know of no one b4 me to try and attempt a higher than vga resolution video in this game, so the dedicated sfall functions designed for that were never really tested b4.

Ok little bump with some news:
although still with the old crappy method of topaz Video AI 2.6.4 but I've took an attempt at Fo:Resurrection this time all cinematics were upscaled, although far from perfection ( since some of the input videos were uterrly low res to begin with [we're talking sometimes less than 320x240] ) the upscales didn't do wonders, though it is a nice improovment, ofcourse Credits.avi got some love from Ron P. AI ( i used a custom version without subtitles burned in as they were not synchronised with the Ron P. voice over, though the voice over itself matches ok'ish with the slideshow itself, the burned in subs were not in sync)..

If anyone's interested in Ron P. Voiced over Credits video without downloading dozens of megabytes, I'll upload a custom made Credits.mve with Ron's AI VO, to simply replace original credits.mve and be done with it without any ddraw.ini tweaking.

The server is down, I used the dropbox links instead which worked fine but you make it seem like FTP is the only way to get newer files. (Connection refused in filezilla using the address as the host and the correct username and password)

The server is down, I used the dropbox links instead which worked fine but you make it seem like FTP is the only way to get newer files. (Connection refused in filezilla using the address as the host and the correct username and password)
Well, yeah.. depending on what you expect to get. There are a lot more upscaled videos than just fo1 vids. However only fo1 vids have an extra download source. The rest is only on ftp to my knowledge, or someone else that i'm unaware of is hosting them.
If the ftp is down please notify me in this thread. The router ocasionally (once in a few days), gets bugged, internet works however ftp becomes unavalable. I'll reset it in a moment.

EDIT: 12:24 26.06.2024
The router has been rebooted. You should check the ftp now

Last edited:
Well, yeah.. depending on what you expect to get. There are a lot more upscaled videos than just fo1 vids. However only fo1 vids have an extra download source. The rest is only on ftp to my knowledge, or someone else that i'm unaware of is hosting them.
If the ftp is down please notify me in this thread. The router ocasionally (once in a few days), gets bugged, internet works however ftp becomes unavalable. I'll reset it in a moment.

EDIT: 12:24 26.06.2024
The router has been rebooted. You should check the ftp now

Thanks! I went ahead and grabbed the FO2 vids while it's up, appreciate the work. Do you know why the CATH on FTP is so small (like 15MB) when the one on OneDrive is 50MB? OneDrive is supposed to be 720 and FTP has it in the 1080 folder so i was surprised lol

Thanks! I went ahead and grabbed the FO2 vids while it's up, appreciate the work. Do you know why the CATH on FTP is so small (like 15MB) when the one on OneDrive is 50MB? OneDrive is supposed to be 720 and FTP has it in the 1080 folder so i was surprised lol
It's due to 720p not being my work and 1080p beeing purely my work.
All fo1 and fo2 720p vids are youtube rips at 60fps, downsized from 4k and converted to a proper format that sfall can read..
On the other hand the cathexp.avi 1080p was made from scratch from fo1 cathexp.mve and has original video's framerate.

Just posting here to say the server is down again it seems.
yeah.. goddamn router..
sorry but i don't have the caps to buy anything better. this one already costed as much as my used laptop, so for the time being i'm stuk with it.

anyways I'll reboot the goddmn thing in a moment, sorry for late reply, i was kind of busy yesterday, and liklely will be today as well..

ok good news folks, My router got a firmware upgrade, manufacturer's website in the changeog it was written that usb drive ftp stability was "improoved" so fingers crossed boyz hopefuly i won't be forced to reboot the damn thing every other day.

oh yeah Cambragol made an alternative (better in my opinion) CREDITS.MVE english verion for FoSonora.. when temps go down, i'll be trying to upscale that first.

the good news is I "aquired" newer version of Topaz Labs Video.that also works on non avx capable CPUs. it has pelthora of improovements over the version i had previously due to licensing reasons..

good luck to ya all and happy power armor hunting

Ok, So the firmware update did sh1t, the damn router still craps out on ftp hosting...

On the other hand today was a bit chillier. It was raining for half a day, so i managed to play around with my old Topaz Labs setup, and spitted out Cambragol's credits.avi 720p for Fo:Sonora a.k.a. Cambragol's english version with Ron Perlman AI is now upscaled to 720p Xvid avi :p still the size is 777MB so only for enthusiasts. it was placed instead of my custom version in Fo:Sonora/English/720p. while my custom version is in a subdirectory to that in older-vids, together with old version of BoS tanker busting. English subs work with the upscale ( at least in Foxx's version) dunno if Fallout2CE is able to play upscaled videos, however latest Foxx's release 12.08.24 comes with updated translation by Cambragol v0.995 ( up from 0.98).

Hi @gustarballs1983,

I have a slightly different question, but hopefully it's still related to the topic. I have a problem with my latest Fallout 1.5: Resurrection assembly. After finishing the game, the ending slides, and especially the text, are going too fast (see the captured video), and I don't know why. Do you have any idea where the problem could be? (maybe some sfall configuration issue)

Thank you for your feedback and help.

Looks like someone used the steroid function..

using the game speedup option has nasty side effects, including it running in endgame slideshow post game completion, if not turned of prior..

@gustarballs1983 Which particular property in the sfall configuration could be causing this? I tried, for example, changing SpeedMultiInitial=200 to 100, but the problem remains the same."

Attachments

Here.. i'm 2 busy to write a full elaborate.. I've edited your ddraw.txt marking important stuff in commnetns where aplicable...

if what i proposed does not work you may need to start new game with 100% speed

Attachments

Back