Classic Fallout Gameplay Flaws (Also New Vegas)

It doesnt make sense to expect explosives in a cave or a well populated city full of people walking around.
It's not expected, but it does happen. The typical first quest in Fallout involves dynamiting a cave.
Cities in recent news have had buildings explode (whether intentional or accidental).

*I've even read of people getting killed by booby-traps in their own house.

Another boring thing about Fallout is there are like 50 weapons in the entire game. It sucks. I don't want glowing weapons or anything but they could have added some more variety easy enough.

I know that I am doing the opposite of what this thread is suposed to be but an unpopular opinion here: Not being able to control your companions is a great concept.

It might not work all that well as companions can be really dumb and ruin your entire day, but it completely changes my perspective over the entire game. It somehow makes the game much more about MY character and MY narrative instead of a group one, in games like Fallout, your companions are not meant to be main characters like you, they are part of the secondary cast suposed to help you out on your journey, this feeling is somewhat lost when we move to an fully controlable party, the game for me starts getting that same XCOM feeling on it and the story starts being more about the squad them your main character.

Not saying that this is a bad thing at all by the way, just that specifically the classic Fallouts work better this way.

A sidenote that I wanted to add is also how much of a personality is given to some of those characters on combat, from Myron running away to Sulik fucking team killing someone because he can't handle an smg, it makes my party much more unique.

Another boring thing about Fallout is there are like 50 weapons in the entire game. It sucks. I don't want glowing weapons or anything but they could have added some more variety easy enough.
THAT is most certainly a technical issue. The reason Fallout chugs to this day is the need for loading all those sprite sheets. However, they could have had many minor variations on guns and knives... and only showed the differences in the UI.

50 would be an ok number if we could at least see the guns sprites at least, and even better if each one was a bit more unique. I know it is a product of it's time but there are WAY too few gun sprites in both games.

I know that I am doing the opposite of what this thread is suposed to be but an unpopular opinion here: Not being able to control your companions is a great concept.

It might not work all that well as companions can be really dumb and ruin your entire day, but it completely changes my perspective over the entire game. It somehow makes the game much more about MY character and MY narrative instead of a group one, in games like Fallout, your companions are not meant to be main characters like you, they are part of the secondary cast suposed to help you out on your journey, this feeling is somewhat lost when we move to an fully controlable party, the game for me starts getting that same XCOM feeling on it and the story starts being more about the squad them your main character.

Not saying that this is a bad thing at all by the way, just that specifically the classic Fallouts work better this way.

A sidenote that I wanted to add is also how much of a personality is given to some of those characters on combat, from Myron running away to Sulik fucking team killing someone because he can't handle an smg, it makes my party much more unique.

Its really not a problem if you still have a degree of control, which fo2 does

Having no control + really poor a.i like fo1 makes it worst.

I also dont mind not having to manually control them since i hate micro management (which is why i dont like jagged Alliance)

Actually this would be a great mod that I am somewhat suprised to have never seen yet, something that adds sprites to every gun and armor to the game, or at least add some more.

41 if not taking traps into account

Fo1's itemization was really not the best

Its really not a problem if you still have a degree of control, which fo2 does

Having no control + really poor a.i like fo1 makes it worst.

Yeah I think I was refering to Fo2 in that case, I think I only played Fo1 once and it was after beating Fo2 so my experience with it was rather short and I don't plan on coming back to it, the gameplay being the main barrier to it...

Not being able to control your companions is a great concept.
On this we agree.

But I would prefer it had they implemented this similarly to the DQK games by SSI; with mercs being loose canons, but paramilitary being controllable (to varying degree) by the leadership ability of the PC.

*It always bothered me that the BOS squad that —helps— storm Mariposa does not offer to follow the party inside, and having no option to convince them.

On this we agree.

But I would prefer it had they implemented this similarly to the DQK games by SSI; with mercs being loose canons, but paramilitary being controllable (to varying degree) by the leadership ability of the PC.

*It always bothered me that the BOS squad that —helps— storm Mariposa does not offer to follow the party inside, and having no option to convince them.
The Shadowrun games did this masterfully IMO, especially the first game of the trilogy,I really liked the shadowrunner recruitment system before each mission, and even them they really just act like mercs only really acting while in combat, meaning that your character is still the main one in all the rest. It also allow you to spec your character into some very fun non combat builds, in my case for example I used a decker, which meant that I wasn't suposed to fight enemies directly, thus needing to get a team with offensive skills to compensate for it.

if we could at least see the guns sprites at least
Baldur's Gate did it better; the weapons were overlays on the base sprite—which were themselves composites. That's how they could display in 2D, all of the clothing and armament options.

ToEE used 3D characters for this.

Baldur's Gate is more replayable than Fallout due to builds and better ai/mods.

Im probably on the minority who didnt really enjoyed BG1, specially compared to fallout

Pathfinding ruined 99% of the dungeons and the only exceptional example of a dungeon ended up being durlag (which wasnt even originally on the game)

Combat was way too unbalanced with Archers being better than everything (really, theres barely the need to apply buffs/debuffs once you have 3-4 archers shooting acid arrows at the enemies) and i found the roleplay quite lackluster

I still recall my bard which i rolled with 18 charisma being found by a group of mercenaries:

"Are you Gorion's son?"

>No (fight)

>Yes (fight)

>Whos gorion (fight)

>Who are you? (Fight)

I know theres some harsh defenders of it over BG2 (like Lilura from the codex) but i will agree with the masses about the second being better

Pathfinding ruined 99% of the dungeons
This was a customizable setting in the configuration program; meant to tweak it to your own CPU/RAM situation.
*Not accessible from the game, but intended for the user. It was a separate application in the game's install folder.

The default iteration setting was rather low, but could be raised into the many thousands—like 45,000 if your machine could handle it. This greatly improved the pathfinding.
BG_Config.jpg
Mine is set to 400,000.

Last edited:
Another thing i think could have been brought to discussion would be related to how morality was handled in fo1

Its quite binary in execution.

I mean, the game clearly tends to direct you towards good karma, doing shit like rewarding the player with good karma by doing required tasks by the main quest (such as destroying mariposa) while its extremely hard to get bad karma by being a jerk on dialogue or siding with evil npcs, in which very few give you the option ( decker in the underworld being the obvious one)

So in order to have enough bad karma to get the negative reactions from npcs you have to do very extreme things like killing a shitton of good people, this means something like a sociopath chatacter would be very hard to do and evil characters tend to get constantly out of character to get bad karma.

Most quests being binary as well doesnt help (theres not a whole lot of gray before the master, you either side with extremely evil people that sometimes are even over the top like the regulators, or get good karma)

Really, thinking about it, FO2 does improve on a shitton of things lmao

This was a customizable setting in the configuration program; meant to tweak it to your own CPU/RAM situation.
*Not accessible from the game, but intended for the user. It was a separate application in the game's install folder.

The default iteration setting was rather low, but could be raised into the many thousands—like 45,000 if your machine could handle it. This greatly improved the pathfinding.

Ohh i know
But the dungeons are still way too narrow and claustrophobic for a party based title to the point where even after messing with conf, it still doesnt feel good at all

Arcanum also has some (not all) of its problems

Which is a shame since i actually found dungeon design in fo and games like IWD and ultima series quite good

Back