Fallout 25th Anniversary ask questions to Tim Cain, Leonard Boyarsky, and Jason Taylor

Is this the thing?

No, that's something else. The thing talked about here was discord-only from the wiki people.

/Edit: I'm 20 mins in and this is much more interesting already.

/Edit2: This video should be its own newspost, imo.

Last edited:
Is there a link to the thing then?

No, that's something else. The thing talked about here was discord-only from the wiki people.

/Edit: I'm 20 mins in and this is much more interesting already.

/Edit2: This video should be its own newspost, imo.

I watched a bit now and it was interesting! I feel sort of inclined to write a summary on what they said. However it's a matter of time. Is it possible to export the English YT subtitles and write a summary based on that?

In the bit I watched Tim Cain asked if the ghost in the Den made it into Fallout 2 or not, so maybe he never played the sequel? He then says that MCA hated the idea of the ghost and that he, Tim Cain, now agrees. Aliens and the supernatural has no home in Fallout he says.

There are probably other interesting things in there.

e:

I found out how you can download a transcript of the subtitles. However that might not be the easiest way to transcript this.

Last edited:
Is there a link to the thing then?

In the bit I watched Tim Cain asked if the ghost in the Den made it into Fallout 2 or not, so maybe he never played the sequel?

How does not remembering a shitty, stupid side quest == not playing the game

How does not remembering a shitty, stupid side quest == not playing the game
Yeah and to add onto it, its fairly clear that most of the old devs are not nearly as obsessed with the games as, for example we are. They worked on it like 20 years ago and probably lose track of what got cut and what made it in.

They are a bit detached to the whole thing, that's good in a way. It's good to know that neither Tim Cain nor Chris Avellone liked the ghost. Still it made it into the game...

I mean, Avellone wasn't a lead writer or anything like that, so his opinion on the matter likely didn't ... matter. And Tim was gone some time later. Whoever took over after that probably either didn't really notice or didn't really care. Personally I'd say the person to blame is whoever was in charge of the location. :>

Yeah and to add onto it, its fairly clear that most of the old devs are not nearly as obsessed with the games as, for example we are. They worked on it like 20 years ago and probably lose track of what got cut and what made it in.

More than that for Tim Cain, I'm not going to act like (some) people on this forum and say that Todd Howard was out to destroy everything Tim ever loved and ruin a beloved franchise for thousands, but Tim Cain (if I recall correctly, I swear I remember reading this in an interview with him somewhere so if someone has a source please link it to me) was basically screwed out of making Fallout 3 at Troika over a legal technicality. He was distraught afterwards and had to completely move on from the idea of ever making another Fallout game

They were overbid by Bethesda.
If I recall at first he tried taking Interplay to court over who had the rights to the franchise (something to do with him being a contractor at Interplay and not a full time worker) but he gave up and tried bidding for the franchise, but couldn't find a publisher to back them and was outbid by Bethesda.

To my point though, he seems to have handled it like a healthy human being. "Aw damn I didn't get to do Fallout....oh well. Back to my regular human life."

I just don't think if we saw Cain making Fallout again we wouldn't find shit that would offend us.

Based on my experience with new entries in long running series after the original developers came back I also suspect that any new Fallout game Tim and co might make will never feel as 'good' as the first game.
At some point these people have just moved on to other things.
Perhaps not an entirely accurate comparison but it feels like asking grandpa to relive his quarterback days and expecting the same performance.

Perhaps not an entirely accurate comparison but it feels like asking grandpa to relive his quarterback days and expecting the same performance.
Specially given how their design mentalities have changed over the years, some of them for the worse.

I think people should just drop the dream of a Fallout game made by Tim and Leonard from their minds and move on, first because the likelyhood of it even happening is very small and second that it might actually be bad or at the very least worse than entries like Fallout 1. Plenty of other CRPGs out there that are worth playing right now, something CRPG fans should be playing instead of wasting their time wishing for another CRPG Fallout.

Specially given how their design mentalities have changed over the years, some of them for the worse.

I think people should just drop the dream of a Fallout game made by Tim and Leonard from their minds and move on, first because the likelyhood of it even happening is very small and second that it might actually be bad or at the very least worse than entries like Fallout 1. Plenty of other CRPGs out there that are worth playing right now, something CRPG fans should be playing instead of wasting their time wishing for another CRPG Fallout.

Seeing what a damn bore the Outer Worlds was I definitely think that mentioning the names Tim Cain and Leo Boyarsky being involved in an upcoming project doesn't mean it will be a great RPG experience. If they coasted on that then I think that wave has subsided by now.

I still hope for one good Fallout project. Probably a fan made one. (F***, this is why I want to make one myself)
A sort of final goodbye, kind of what Return to Monkey Island was.
There would perhaps be room for more entries after it, but there is no need to get these because of the name they carry. The story for most people would now be concluded.

Edit: ugh, I keep mixing up 'Return to Monkey Island' with 'Curse of Monkey Island'.

Seeing what a damn bore the Outer Worlds was I definitely think that mentioning the names Tim Cain and Leo Boyarsky being involved in an upcoming project doesn't mean it will be a great RPG experience. If they coasted on that then I think that wave has subsided by now.

I still hope for one good Fallout project. Probably a fan made one. (F***, this is why I want to make one myself)
A sort of final goodbye, kind of what Curse of Monkey Island was.
There would perhaps be room for more entries after it, but there is no need to get these because of the name they carry. The story for most people would now be concluded.
It would be nice to have Cain or Boyarsky attached in a meaningful way to a Fallout project, but really I think Josh Sawyer is the guy who needs to be in charge

Back