Fallout 3 criticisms

Frank_Horrigan_2077

First time out of the vault
ITT: I just wanted to discuss the popular and unpopular alike criticisms and dislikes of Fallout 3. Many say Bethesda made Skyrim with guns, or messed with the lore and flow of the original Fallout series. Or even that it can't even be considered an RPG. Your thoughts?

Last edited:
The absolute biggest problem with the game from my view is that the writing team couldn't seem to take any two ideas and put them next to each other without creating some kind of contradiction or suspension of disbelief shattering nonsense. its not just the writers fault either. this problem infects almost every possible aspect of the game.

A good example is how the setting contradicts the story. The story dictates that the people need better water. but the setting and characters paint a different picture than the story. the setting and characters say that they're fine, not thirsty, and have been fine for 200 years. hell megaton's purifier is on the verge of total breakdown and not a single character is even vaguely concerned about it. the setting and characters say the water is fine. or here's another example.

the plot centers on building a purifier... at the southernmost end of a river that flows south. meaning even if they get it working there most people in the capital wasteland will see no benefit from it.

the whole entirety of the map in nonsensical like this.

see the whole point of an rpg is to build a world and then let the player interact with it however they want to in as many ways as the Developer can reasonably support. fallout 3 didn't build a world. it made a gamey map for players to shoot stuff in.

The ending dialogue you get for the good karma ending if you send Fawkes in to activate the purifier always bugged me. Fawkes is a super mutant and therefore immune to radiation, so it made sense to send him. What a coward you are for doing what would surely end in the survival of both you and him! Only through fatal sacrifice can you be a true hero!

Level Scaling and ridicilous enemies at the lategame, thanks to Broken Steel. The normal gameplay was awful to say at least, but it was manageable, until the DLC came up.
Besides, gameplay focusing mostly on using VATS and VATS only. Because aiming is crappier than in New Vegas, VATS is only way to go for pure scores. Plus, it makes you immortal god Capable of tanking shots from just about anything, and grimp reaper's Sprint makes it that any kill restores all AP.

To put in comparison; I ended up using VATS nearly in every group fight with a combat shotgun in Fallout 3, while in New Vegas I could use Caravan Shotgun with Slug ammo to clear out groups of people.

I never got to finish Operation Anchorage because halfway (I'm guessing halfway) through it would freeze my consoles up to the point that I'd have to unplug them. Tried it on two different PS3s I had at the time as well as my ex's brother-in-law's. Same results. I will also mention that one of my consoles was bought brand new less than a month earlier and the game was in perfect condition.

That DLC was boring and from what I played there was no point to it. The same with Mothership Zeta. Point Lookout IMO was the superior DLC for the game, and that's saying something.

Last edited:
The consoles were trying to spare you from the awfulness that is Operation Anchorage. Seriously, it's one of the worst DLC expansions i ever played.

The consoles were trying to spare you from the awfulness that is Operation Anchorage. Seriously, it's one of the worst DLC expansions i ever played.
I agree even having never finished it. I remember being high in level and still getting my ass handed to me. And falling. Much falling. Shitty gameplay.

Oh, and it was all a simulation. Pointless.

Last edited:
It's a DLC that focuses on what is probably the worst part of the game and that's the gameplay. And let's not mention the writing and characters, which i think Bethesda thought were so funny and witty.

also operation anchorage, for whatever reason, portrays pipboy 3000s as being organically embedded into a persons arm but the main game has it presented as tradition to receive one on your tenth birthday but as far as i can tell inorganic material doesn't grow with a user's body so there would be some scarring to say the least but in fallout 4 its just a simple latch mechanism.

they can't even have something as simple as a wrist mounted PDA in their games without creating six different contradictions.

The Nukapedia mentions that the second you put on a Pipboy 3000, it's forever stuck on your arm. But this is inconsistent because it's shown in Fallout 3 that clothing like sleeves can go under the Pipboy. If stuff like sleeves can go underneath the Pipboy, it means it can be removed since it's not attached to the skin.

New Vegas completely ignores this (you can switch between two Pipboys i believe) and it's a good thing, because it's a dumb concept.

why would you design such a device? "our products lock into your flesh!" "Buy RobCo products!"

also annoyed that the a pipboy 3000, a Robco product, uses vault tec's mascot instead of its original mascot from 1/2.

People tend not to dig too far into this but who the fuck are buying Talon Company services so much they can wage a ww1 level war against the Mutants? Is it the BoS? But they're hostile to each other when they cross paths, right?

You have a military organization in the ruins of the old Capitol just fucking about, in the trenches, fighting Mutants, going after people, and not, you know, ruling.

Same with Riley's Rangers or the Regulators, though it seems Rivet City and Megaton and the other 'towns' might hire them out.

There's a weird level of militarisation here that shouldn't exist and it has a lot of potential for expansion but will never be touched ever again.

People tend not to dig too far into this but who the fuck are buying Talon Company services so much they can wage a ww1 level war against the Mutants? Is it the BoS? But they're hostile to each other when they cross paths, right?

You have a military organization in the ruins of the old Capitol just fucking about, in the trenches, fighting Mutants, going after people, and not, you know, ruling.

Same with Riley's Rangers or the Regulators, though it seems Rivet City and Megaton and the other 'towns' might hire them out.

There's a weird level of militarisation here that shouldn't exist and it has a lot of potential for expansion but will never be touched ever again.
Weren't the Talon Company also hostile to the PC?

Hostile if you become a goody-two shoes after level 5/6.

Which also doesn't make sense, as you're small fry. Littlehorn, who also doesn't make sense, might have hired them out, or Burke/Tenpenny if you refuse to blow up Megaton, but it's a company of rather competent mercs. Did they just swing by from Baltimore or Richmond and declare it open season?

There are at least a dozen threads discussing this that I've participated in. Maybe try the search function.
this is one of those topics that's doomed to repeated forever and ever in an infinite number of threads. no need to be so pissy about it.

The Talon Company has always puzzled me. They're probably one of the most obscure parte of the games, especially because it was wasted potential. Buy then again you could say that about the whole game.

The Talon Company has always puzzled me. They're probably one of the most obscure parte of the games, especially because it was wasted potential. Buy then again you could say that about the whole game.
its very odd because they don't seem to have a physical presence in the world outside of random spawns. i can't recall ANY dialogue that refers to them.

Back