Fallout 3 criticisms

its very odd because they don't seem to have a physical presence in the world outside of random spawns. i can't recall ANY dialogue that refers to them.
Yeah, I don't remember anything memorable about them. Don't even remember encountering them except when I first met them. Don't recall which building I came out of. Super Duper Mart maybe? Anyway, some backstory would have been nice.

Only the great DJ (and totally not a constant annoyance) Three Dog mentions them in an announcement. Otherwise, nothing it seems. (Probably a throwaway thing from Reillys rangers or something, seem to remember)

And it's - there's just an easy way to stuff them into the game. Have them be ex-military gone rogue or w/e. If you're not fighting them outright maybe you can hire them to be gun sponges for some areas, maybe even as a recruitable faction to fight the Enclave (who they might declare delegitimate because Talon Company is old US Military and may decide to be big-dog afterall with no bigger picture in mind) or some easy thing like that which could had been brewed up in one afternoon meeting.

its very odd because they don't seem to have a physical presence in the world outside of random spawns. i can't recall ANY dialogue that refers to them.
Actually they hold several spots in the wasteland. Fort Bannister Is their headquarters and they fight over the Capitol and Taka-somethin' park. They Also seem to have artillery cannons AND they're trying to fix a satellite station for orbital strikes. They're definetely pretty powerful, however they're not really touched upon. I mean, I only remember one unmarked quest where you help the Brotherhood wipe them out from F. Bannister. I've read theories about them in reddit, and some speculate that the squads sent gainst you were probably hired by Littlehorn, but that doesn't explain their Activity at large. Another wilder hypothesys says that they've been hired the Enclave to destabilize the Capital Wasteland, but as much as I'd like It, there's Just no evidence.

I've read theories about them in reddit, and some speculate that the squads sent gainst you were probably hired by Littlehorn, but that doesn't explain their Activity at large. Another wilder hypothesys says that they've been hired the Enclave to destabilize the Capital Wasteland, but as much as I'd like It, there's Just no evidence.
1. don't give a shit about writing and world-building
2. make the fans do the work for you
welcome to the bethesda world

this is one of those topics that's doomed to repeated forever and ever in an infinite number of threads. no need to be so pissy about it.

My oh my, you're quite the delicate flower. If that's all it takes to be 'pissy', then I'd be curious to see what happens if someone is even the slightest bit snarky.

then I'd be curious to see what happens if someone is even the slightest bit snarky.
And+i+was+having+a+good+day+too+_805b2a7945e534a9c0ba04eeb94fd094.jpg

you were being snarky. and rude. eat dicks my guy.

you were being snarky. and rude. eat dicks my guy.

Hm. A bit underwhelming, but that's par for the course so no worries. In any event, all I did was tell a newcomer something they probably didn't know and made a suggestion that could ultimately lead them what they're after...but I'll be sure to maintain a British level of politeness in the future so as to not offend you. :salute:

I also hate what they did with the super mutants. They didn't have a story or reason to be there, they just put them in the game because they were in the others.

I also hate what they did with the super mutants. They didn't have a story or reason to be there, they just put them in the game because they were in the others.
Don't remember which board exactly, but there is another thread here that focuses on exactly this. Almost everyone would agree with you. They took the super mutants and made them dumb as shit.

I ended up using VATS nearly in every group fight with a combat shotgun in Fallout 3
I can't imagine playing Fallout 3 and not doing this but also with the Hunting Rifle because it was somehow super powerful in that game. At least in New Vegas they had more interesting ways to do combat with more weapons and explosives wasn't JUST GRENADES. God I hated that. Thank you for the grenade launcher and I surely will make the game more difficult than possible via mods and use only Assault Rifles and my grenade launcher.

I've blown off my own legs in New Vegas MANY times.

Yeah there's a million things to complain about but Valdetiosi easily sums up why the game felt bad to play. I use two weapons all game and it's "gg ez" if you max Guns to 100. Grim Reaper Sprint was busted.

They either didn't know how to make good FPS gameplay and used VATS as a crutch, or made the shooting bad on purpose to make VATS much more crucial. They instead could have made the shooting good (a lot of games they could have ripped off for good FPS gameplay) and removed VATS.

This is an instance that i would be fine with them removing something from the first two games, because VATS is much better suited for isometric gameplay.

I tried to write my impressions in a organized way since I finally gave a small chance to this game, after I borrowed it from a friend. But I can't write about the entire game with clarity it seem, so I will just toss things as they come.

First, let's say that this game will always be a bethesda fan fiction to me, better known as bethesda 3. But don't think it's hate on my part, I actually went to the end of 'broken steel', and of point lookout and the pitt main quests, so hated I didn't.

Often I was tempted to just give up, but then I kept seeing some interesting potentials here and there despite all the slugs that the game make you go through. Ok, I was ultimatly disapointed at every turn, but to be fair I think at least someone on whoever people wrote this game tried a little. Maybe.

I don't want to rehash points made by other people, let's just say I might have been better prepared to deal with some of the writting in general. From the start, I had my mind set on mentally changing the 'super mutants' into completely different mutants, not FEV related, just something else.
Same with the 'brotherhood', they aren't the 'brotherhood', and they don't wear 'power armors', they are just completely different, unrelated people with only the common ground of having a better tech than most.
Insert something similar for the 'enclave' here. You must get the general picture but don't think I putted a lot of efforts into it, I didn't mentally rewrite things as I went along, not in a clear, good and organized way. I just improvised and it worked enough to keep me going.
For example, the famous mutants are the main reason for the lack of new civilisations around DC, they are litteraly everywhere and attack everyone after all. Which get old very fast, and their lack of other interactions with the world doesn't help I know, there is only so much you can do with live improvised 'rewritting' to make the setting tolerable.

Anyway, believe it or not but those weren't the hard parts to 'retcon' as I was going along, no.
I had a VERY hard time with all the pre war history and references, especially when coming out of characters who shoudn't know any of it, and shoudn't give a fuck. Even simple words like chineses, US, communists and america should be foreign, meaningless to almost everyone at best.
I gave up on my mental thing for this after running into a loony who seemed to know american history better than the real average american. I just proceeded to plug my hears, which took a lot more effort than the live retcon thing.

Moving on, I would like to describe how some quests gave me hope that they would turn out good, even very good, but it would take too much in this post so let me try to make it with a few examples:
1, Some very organized people apparently manage to attack and rob almost every fresh water caravans. Nobody seem to have the time or ressources to deal with it. So you think that there must be some interest, even a complex story there. Yet the 'brain' of the all operation is easier to find than a molerat and as predictable, and killing him resolve everything. The rest of his crew simply back out. Then you can blackmail a little protection money from the woman who sent you or not. The end.

2, You know what, I have a few more like that but let's cut to the pitt, the biggest disapointment of all. It had so much potential at first. Too much, because bethesda quikly drowned it in it's recuring pathern: Make two course of actions and lock the player in it.
Ok, just let me write a little more because it's almost funny. During the famous baby choice, I think that instead of following either of the two plans, I would better go after Ashur and his would be usurper to try and see if there is a other course. I exit the haven, and, whao, the game tell me that not taking the baby right away mean I chose my side already. I go back to the lab, Marie is still there but no, I can't change course anymore, not even that. This is lazy programming.
Speaking of which I decide to roll with it anyway, but I am not happy and in the mood to kill the little assholes want to be crew of Ashur. Further twist in the lazy programming, the rebelling slaves magically know I am not following Werner's plan anymore, and are all hostiles. Just like that.
Then I start wacking the raiders, and they DON'T go hostiles... They basically let me kill them one by one. Just like that. It was the first and only time where I was so unhappy about bethesda 'choices' that I had left the rails, but boy once I weren't on rails, the game sure showed it.
'Euh sir? You aren't supposed to look too much for alternatives ways we never programmed, thank you.'

Anyway let's end this. I killed Werner. Then Ashur, who didn't notice that I had wack every single member of his crew I could find during the riot, thanked me and didn't want to be reasonable about his 'workers'. He died too right after that. Then it was the turn of every remaining raiders and slaves.
Then the lone wanderer took the baby and walked off in the distance, after making sure that the pitt would remain shut and buried with a series of carefully planned explosions.
Yeah, that's my messy improvised ending but I like it at least, the absolute zero.

Well thanks for reading if you have, that sure was not easy to write. Final words, even if it might not show above, bethesda 3 do have fun and even intriguing parts here and there, they are just under developped. Way under. Might be worth a single try if you have a little time for it. It's not worth your money though, do like me, consider you payed for it with Vegas then find a friend to borrow it from.

Thanks again.

Don't remember which board exactly, but there is another thread here that focuses on exactly this. Almost everyone would agree with you. They took the super mutants and made them dumb as shit.
To be fair, even the Master's grunts are dumb cannon fodder aside from his named leaders. They run single-file at you and scream things like "I rip you to pieces!!"

My personal complaint is the railroaded story and forced morality of the factions. The lack of a proper Enclave side without mods. Brotherhood renegades being called paragon heroes, the ones actually trying to keep their mission and getting outcast and brutalized for it are the bad guys. It doesn't make sense to me.

To be fair, even the Master's grunts are dumb cannon fodder aside from his named leaders. They run single-file at you and scream things like "I rip you to pieces!!"

My personal complaint is the railroaded story and forced morality of the factions. The lack of a proper Enclave side without mods. Brotherhood renegades being called paragon heroes, the ones actually trying to keep their mission and getting outcast and brutalized for it are the bad guys. It doesn't make sense to me.
There are smart Mutants outside the named ones, however. Many of the guards outside Mariposa’s general area have lines such as “ah, a pity it came to this”, etc.

And I think the lack of proper Enclave siding was because Beth wanted to recreate the “timeless” struggle of good and evil, a la Star Wars but failed miserably.

Yes, while the Master's people focused on creating smart Super Mutants a lot of them turned out to be mentally limited (due to presence of Wild FEV in their genetics) or just plain dying during the dipping process.

If I recall correctly the Nightkin were made up of the most intelligent Super Mutants. To bad the over use of stealthboys would damage their minds in time.

One of the problems with the Fallout 3 Super Mutants is that they are way more dumber than the Master's Super Mutants. Even Harry, someone that was mocked by the other more intelligent Super Mutant for being too dumb, is smarter than the majority of the East Coast Super Mutants.

The other issue is that they turned Super Mutants into a bunch of mindless ogres. Even the ones that charged at you in Fallout 1 had a reason to do so. They were following the Master's orders. In Fallout 3, they just charge you and try to kill you for no reason. They basically lost whatever depth they had and became "generic big, dumb brutes for the player to shoot at".

Of all the factions, at least NuBoS has a purpose. Even if it's a banal, goody-two-shoes one. The Regulators and Reily's Rangers also basically had the same purpose, though! But they're like two squads at most and got fucked. Then you have those evil Bounty Hunters and Talon Company who do jack shit but shoot everything not them. Then you have the Mutants who everyone hates, who shouldn't exist, and just charge at you. Then you have Raiders who do jack shit and charge at you. Then you have the Enclave, who again do jack shit, kill people for fun, and charge at you.

See the problem?

One of the problems with the Fallout 3 Super Mutants is that they are way more dumber than the Master's Super Mutants. Even Harry, someone that was mocked by the other more intelligent Super Mutant for being too dumb, is smarter than the majority of the East Coast Super Mutants.

The other issue is that they turned Super Mutants into a bunch of mindless ogres. Even the ones that charged at you in Fallout 1 had a reason to do so. They were following the Master's orders. In Fallout 3, they just charge you and try to kill you for no reason. They basically lost whatever depth they had and became "generic big, dumb brutes for the player to shoot at".

They are higher tier cannon fodder once you have graduated in shooting raiders.

Fallout 3 is basically a shooter but with poor shooting mechanics that is occasionally interrupted by conversations and having to do jobs in order to gain experience so you can improve skills and use better equipment.

I consider Fallout 3 to be the sequel to FOBOS. Both have a lot in common. Only difference is that people hated the one but seem to have the delusion that the other is better.
Both fucked up the franchise but at least I liked the idea of the Vault Tec vault as I think Vault Tec should have had its own shelter. (though that may be the Vault in Fallout 1 under the Cathedral)

Back