Fallout 3: Fallout At It's Finest

Putting irl weapons in New Vegas was a great idea. Sue me.
Why not?
People still use the 1903 Springfield, the Browning Hi-Power, the Colt M1911...

As pertains to very recent guns... that's a little different. I [me personally] would say that any firearm we have is fair game to a point (and we are nowhere near 2077 yet)... however, I would like to see alternate history choices made on the side of 50's aesthetics. You know... like choosing the 10mm.

Why not?
People still use the 1903 Springfield, the Browning Hi-Power, the Colt M1911...

As pertains to very recent guns... that's a little different. I [me personally] would say that any firearm we have is fair game to a point (and we are nowhere near 2077 yet)... however, I would like to see alternate history choices made on the side of 50's aesthetics. You know... like choosing the 10mm.
Browning discontinued the Hi-Power iirc. That’s sad, my uncle has one that I shot once. Nice handling.

They say it breaks the lore due to the timeline split.
What timeline split? Bethesda are nuts; they'll tell you that transistors are out because they never happened in their invented timeline split. I don't see why they can't have those and simply not find them as popular to use; tubes are more resistant to radiation. The people in Fallout are not stupid, and there weren't plasma rifles in the late 40's & 50's. They just lean towards a 50's ideal of the future.

Fallout isn't even our own Earth, it was a [one-shot] GURPS campaign setting of a future world as our 50's envisioned it.... including green mutating goo, and atomic blasts creating ghoulish monsters. Living beings like Richard Grey.

*I bet they picked 1947 because wikipedia lists that as the year transistors were made. :whatever:

** It's been years, and so I may be remiss, but do the games or the FO:Bible mention a hard timeline split? I guess I'll have to check.

Last edited:
What timeline split? Bethesda are nuts; they'll tell you that transistors are out because they never happened in their invented timeline split. I don't see why they can't have those and simply not find them as popular to use; tubes are more resistant to radiation.

Fallout isn't even our own Earth, it was a [one-shot] GURPS campaign setting of a future world as our 50's envisioned.... including green mutating goo, and atomic blasts creating ghoulish monsters. Living beings like Richard Grey.
I thought the timeline split happened with the transistor failing to be invented and then it spreads out further until we get the Fallout universe we have now. Same world as ours in terms of everything up until that point.

Fallout isn't even our own Earth, it was a [one-shot] GURPS campaign setting of a future world as our 50's envisioned.... including green mutating goo, and atomic blasts creating ghoulish monsters. Living beings like Richard Grey.
Also this. Fallout's setting is supposed to be an alternate Earth, meaning that while it shares many things with our Earth, the timeline of events wasn't exactly the same since the beginning. It's not meant to be a "it was the same as our Earth until a certain point, but then everything changed" type of Earth.

So Fallout can use real world guns just fine if it wishes to.

They had some good original scores in Fallout 4. I never played the radio so I actually didn't experience it that much.

Not unless these were in og titles.

Inon Zur is a talented composer. He worked on New Vegas and I sometimes listen to his works when I am modding or writing. He captures the post apocalyptic feeling and mood well. His soundtrack for Fallout 4 was one of its few saving graces.

Holy shit they’re agreeing on something

MOM GET THE CAMERA
Time2fuck has arrived?

sex.gif

On topic: Inon Zur is such a cool name.

Inon Zur is a talented composer. He worked on New Vegas and I sometimes listen to his works when I am modding or writing. He captures the post apocalyptic feeling and mood well. His soundtrack for Fallout 4 was one of its few saving graces.
The music for NV really is insanely good, one of the more overlooked aspects IMO. The only atrocious parts are the repeating military songs that play at the Dam, the Fort, and similar military locales, lifted directall from Fo3

I wasn't a fan of his Fallout 4 score. It sounded too fantasy for my tastes. Liked his work in 3 and NV though.
I must agree here on the Fallout 4 OST. Although I do echo the distaste for ripped off Fallout 3 music in NV.

I found the Fallout 4 OST to be too hopeful and too generic. It was also very, very repetitive. It reminded me of the Far Cry 5 soundtrack that blares violins and banjos as you massacre an entire county. It simply doesn't fit.

Fallout 4 was such a bright and hopeful game that the OST actually failed to meet up all the way. It was like a sour postscript on the whole experience.

You might appreciate this. Return to Castle Wolfenstein is one of those hidden gem games that captures an ambience brilliantly. I ultimately dont care what genre a game is (unless its fantasy dragons shit), as long as a game can sell an honest atmosphere and pushes me out of my comfort zone, consider me a fan.

They could have hired a songwriter/musician(s) to create era sounding tunes that were about the 2065's trends, topics, and issues.
One thing I always found interesting about New Vegas, is that a huge chunk of the music is actually fairly recent, dating to the 90s and 2000s, but is just from obscure artists so nobody really notices the difference.

Lone Star, Let's Ride in to the Sunset Together and In The Shadow of the Valley are all written by a swing band who seem to make most of their money licensing songs for TV shows.
but that also ties into another issue with the Bethesda Fallouts where EVERYTHING has to be prewar, nothing is developed by anyone, they even retconned the Vertibirds to be in active use pre war instead of being prototypes not in active and then completed by the Enclave
I will admit, the idea of the Enclave developing a new type of Aircraft AND Power Armour, while on an oil rig is pretty stupid. Like new tech developing in the Fallout Universe is a good thing but it's like, I'm not fully convinced that they could adequately get all of the raw materials and parts needed to manufacture something so advanced, while having very limited presence on the mainland.

That said, it's a pointless retcon that exists for no reason. I don't really think "I personally found it dumb" is a good reason to rewrite the franchise.
I agree, creating something new would be more worthwhile, but I still think that trying to develop these concepts into something respectful towards the legacy of previous games would be an interesting exercise.
Thing is, my biggest criticism of Fallout 3 isn't lore shit or whatever, but rather that it offers basically nothing original to the franchise. All the major plot elements are basically just rehashes of concepts from 1 and 2, and all the towns are basically one note, with very little complexity. This means that in order to be good/legitimate to my eyes, a Fallout 3 rewrite would have to have so many original ideas and towns, that it would basically at that point become unrecognisable as Fallout 3.

This is going to sound like an exagguration but I think Fallout 3 is so generic, that it's not really worth trying to fix. The only thing that really distinguishes the Capital Wasteland from literally anywhere else in the Fallout setting, is the fact that it's in Washington DC.

A piece of media that's insulting at least has potential to be rewritten because the core ideas are still there. I think it's basically an impossible task to rewrite something this derivative.

Back