Fallout 4 1.3 update hits console and PC

I haven't played it since November, I was just stating that the reason people end up with so many hours is due to all that hoarding and crafting shit.

Then the loading screens, then the crashes during long walks making you have to do the walk again, all the accumulated startup time from crashing or opening it up, more loading screens, having the launcher left open counts towards the hours, even more loading screens, and either glitched main quest or save corruption requiring the start of a new game.

I fear that they really think that they did a good job.

Could just be that AAA standard fallback act that Ubisoft devs tend to use constantly. Knew they did a bad job, pretending to the public that they genuinely think they did a good job, hopefully looking like people who made mishaps and tried their best, rather than greedmongers of the corporate kind who rush their game out for all the money.

I know it's fun to imagine them as the embodiment of complete and utter stupidity, lacking self-awareness or intelligence of any sort, but in reality, they know their mistakes so damn well they're making fun of them in their own games. Which either means they're deliberately not aiming for what they should be, or they just don't care anymore, because they've got what they wanted. Either way, it's obvious a genuine lack of understanding is not the case.

I haven't played it since November, I was just stating that the reason people end up with so many hours is due to all that hoarding and crafting shit.

Nah, you are a masochist. That is why you have a Solid Snake avatar. You have a love for video games that are dead or dying.

Fallout 4 might have the least amount of content of any Bethesda game when it is all said and done. I advise any NMA members who haven't played it to save your time and money and watch the videos or read the shitty lore online.

Nah, you are a masochist. That is why you have a Solid Snake avatar. You have a love for video games that are dead or dying.

Fallout 4 might have the least amount of content of any Bethesda game when it is all said and done. I advise any NMA members who haven't played it to save your time and money and watch the videos or read the shitty lore online.
That's actually Big Boss.

On the other hand I can't be the only one who likes dead or dying games. :puppy-dog:

That's actually Big Boss.

On the other hand I can't be the only one who likes dead or dying games. :puppy-dog:
I like dead or dying games too :confused:

And releasing incomplete games is all too common these days because the vast majority of consumers don't care, they just want to play the new shiny and then move on to the next new shiny. Companies even refuse to fix certain bugs before release just to save time, here is an excerpt of an article that talks about it:
Corporate culture is one big problem behind why game bugs fail to be found and/or fixed. In many large companies, QA is considered a "lesser" department, housed as far from development as possible and often in areas with poor light and bad air circulation. If you look around the web a bit, you'll hear plenty of stories from former testers who describe developers who don't take them seriously, ignoring bug reports, or publishers who refuse to fix major bugs in the name of meeting sales deadlines. Speaking of deadlines, they're at their worst for QA, as when development gets behind, QA often isn't given extra time to test. Corners are cut exactly where the most care should be taken - in assuring that a game works the way it's supposed to.

One of my relatives did a stint testing for a major AAA studio, and her experience backs up that of many others who have spoken up online. I asked her for her thoughts on the topic, and she put the finger on the long hours and poorly-planned deadlines she and her tester friends encountered. "You're not eating right, you aren't sleeping, you're being pushed to finish so fast so they can release the game by some deadline and it's never ready," she told me.

The entire article can be found here, although I quoted most of it.

I'm more talking about holding on to the lumbering corpse that we have left of the series that being Fallout 4 and beyond. Of course the old games will always be good and still there. Honestly I wish NMA paid more attention to the games coming out that are actually good instead of this piece of shit, but it is a Fallout fan site...

I just wonder what it is that stops those other games from being discussed as fervently as Fallout? Do we really want another game like Fallout 1 and 2 or do people just cling to that nostalgia? The discussions on Underrail and Age of Decadence are at a bare minimum here. Look at the Wasteland 2 sub-forum. Is this due to us (that being the news team or the site in general) not posting enough about those games? Or do people just like Fallout and the fucked up lore that is left lying around after Bethesda nuked it into Oblivion?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll talk about Underrail. I'll talk about Underrail until I'm bleeding from the mouth.

os99wy.jpg

Last edited:
I'm more talking about holding on to the lumbering corpse that we have left of the series that being Fallout 4 and beyond. Of course the old games will always be good and still there. Honestly I wish NMA paid more attention to the games coming out that are actually good instead of this piece of shit, but it is a Fallout fan site...

I just wonder what it is that stops those other games from being discussed as fervently as Fallout? Do we really want another game like Fallout 1 and 2 or do people just cling to that nostalgia? The discussions on Underrail and Age of Decadence are at bare minimum here. Look at the Wasteland 2 sub-forum. Is this due to us (that being the news team or the site in general) not posting enough about those games? Or do people just like Fallout and the fucked up lore that is left lying around after Bethesda nuked it into Oblivion?

I would love to talk about games that fit the "incline" category but then more discussions about the Fallout decline set in and then we get discussions about "The Worst Quest in Fallout 4".
Of course these days there is more garbage out there than good games. It would be nice to talk about the good games coming out or already released.

the reason people end up with so many hours is due to all that hoarding and crafting shit

I have no doubt that of my 400+ hrs 'play time' probably 100 were me staring at the floor pressing 'R' repeatedly to scrap items... (due to the bug glitch which would loose materials if you used the raw item)

... and probably another 100 are me spazzing my screen view around to place things correctly, because it's such a great build system that doesn't cause any problems </sarcasm>

I've always thought that I got my money's worth with Fallout 4. My problem with it was that not only was it furthering away from being a Fallout game, but it's falsely advertised and defined as an RPG rather than a shooter with RPG elements, which is what most games with RPG Steam tags are. Not that it didn't have enough content.

Honestly, for a open-world game about 60 US dollars in cost, 30 hours of gameplay is already worth it for me. The hours value has never really been a problem, but I don't only look for hours value because if so, plenty of mediocre, derivative EA and Ubisoft games would pass the standards even though many of them aren't great games. Fallout 4 definitely had enjoyable content, but more than half of it wasn't quality. I judge video games by the same standards I judge books and movies - a short quality experience is better than an overstretched one with fun from time to time.

AAA developers need to start playing their own games more, in addition to publishers needing to respect game development more. They need to know that rather than mass-produced "fun" to reach the minimum amount of "fun" a game must have, just make the game people will enjoy playing. If the main criticism for the game ends up being that it feels too short because the players enjoyed it enough for time to fly by, then that's a job well done.

I would love to talk about games that fit the "incline" category but then more discussions about the Fallout decline set in and then we get discussions about "The Worst Quest in Fallout 4".
Of course these days there is more garbage out there than good games. It would be nice to talk about the good games coming out or already released.

These are my thoughts as well, I would love to bring up and talk more about games I like and enjoy and want to recommend to others but sadly there haven't been such releases for me lately.
I keep searching Steam and the various 'Upcoming games' list for any title I really would like to play but I haven't got a clue which of the indies are good and which AAA title is actually a decent port. (I honest wish PC developers had never gone cross-platform)

These are my thoughts as well, I would love to bring up and talk more about games I like and enjoy and want to recommend to others but sadly there haven't been such releases for me lately.
I keep searching Steam and the various 'Upcoming games' list for any title I really would like to play but I haven't got a clue which of the indies are good and which AAA title is actually a decent port. (I honest wish PC developers had never gone cross-platform)
Yeah I noticed as of late that games as of the past couple years are poorly optimized and run like shit. Then you have bullshit like DirectX 12 being Windows 10 only. I wouldn't mind crossplatform if they created the game on PC, port it to consoles.

Until more good games Coke out we'll just keep seeing all the talk about how many times the terrible AI of companions keep getting you killed or if a good DLC will get released.

I've always thought that I got my money's worth with Fallout 4. My problem with it was that not only was it furthering away from being a Fallout game, but it's falsely advertised and defined as an RPG rather than a shooter with RPG elements, which is what most games with RPG Steam tags are. Not that it didn't have enough content.

Honestly, for a open-world game about 60 US dollars in cost, 30 hours of gameplay is already worth it for me. The hours value has never really been a problem, but I don't only look for hours value because if so, plenty of mediocre, derivative EA and Ubisoft games would pass the standards even though many of them aren't great games. Fallout 4 definitely had enjoyable content, but more than half of it wasn't quality. I judge video games by the same standards I judge books and movies - a short quality experience is better than an overstretched one with fun from time to time.

AAA developers need to start playing their own games more, in addition to publishers needing to respect game development more. They need to know that rather than mass-produced "fun" to reach the minimum amount of "fun" a game must have, just make the game people will enjoy playing. If the main criticism for the game ends up being that it feels too short because the players enjoyed it enough for time to fly by, then that's a job well done.

Zigzag, while I see where you're coming from, I can't share your viewpoint. I do not think I got my money's worth for Fallout 4 at this point. I have spent around 200 hours in the game, but much of that time has been spent in disappointment. I thought I was purchasing a Fallout game. What I bought was a Call of Duty or Borderlands clone. I've so little interest in those series that I haven't bothered buying either, even when they have been on sale. Had I wanted a CoD/ BL game, I would've purchased one or both. The game has depressingly little in the way of choice, consequence, or even continuity. Nearly every location is infested with raiders, zombies, or supermutants who probably outnumber the civilian population by a couple orders of magnitude. The few actual quests in the games are so heavily on rails that I'm surprised they didn't include a droid/bot/imp to guide the player around to the precise location of the next macguffin. If they had put even half as much thought into the main quests as they did the "environmental storytelling," they could have had a really good game. Every time time I thought I was looking at a cool plot hook, I was disappointed. Nearly every quest was solved by killing. If I could get my money back, I would.

Yeah I noticed as of late that games as of the past couple years are poorly optimized and run like shit. Then you have bullshit like DirectX 12 being Windows 10 only. I wouldn't mind crossplatform if they created the game on PC, port it to consoles.

Until more good games Coke out we'll just keep seeing all the talk about how many times the terrible AI of companions keep getting you killed or if a good DLC will get released.
Kingdom Come: Deliverance is a game I have high hopes for as well as Star Citizen. There is also a new Mount and Blade and Banner Saga coming up.

s of magnitude. The few actual quests in the games are so heavily on rails that I'm surprised they didn't include a droid/bot/imp to guide the player around to the precise location of the next macguffin.
Well Dogmeat was that "guide" when it came to the cigarettes and the bloody rags in the main quest to find a guy that could've been a mascot for Kellogg's Cornflakes like Tony the Tiger...

I just wonder what it is that stops those other games from being discussed as fervently as Fallout? Do we really want another game like Fallout 1 and 2 or do people just cling to that nostalgia? The discussions on Underrail and Age of Decadence are at a bare minimum here. Look at the Wasteland 2 sub-forum. Is this due to us (that being the news team or the site in general) not posting enough about those games? Or do people just like Fallout and the fucked up lore that is left lying around after Bethesda nuked it into Oblivion?

Let me ask, did you not enjoy New Vegas? You asked if we really wanted another game like Fallout 1 or 2, I feel like New Vegas fits that role very well. I mean, it's basically made by the guys who created the originals seeing as Obsidian is made up of half the Interplay team and half the team that worked on Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. It's about as close to a spiritual successor to the original 2 games we're going to get, Fallout-wise. Gameplay-wise I'd say the spiritual successor to the first 2 games would be Wasteland 2.

Funnily enough Obsidian helped make Wasteland 2, so really they've made both spiritual successors to the original Fallouts.

Let me ask, did you not enjoy New Vegas? You asked if we really wanted another game like Fallout 1 or 2, I feel like New Vegas fits that role very well. I mean, it's basically made by the guys who created the originals seeing as Obsidian is made up of half the Interplay team and half the team that worked on Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines.

I love New Vegas but you can see how far off course Bethesda has steered the ship. It might be too late to get it back on track.

I love New Vegas but you can see how far off course Bethesda has steered the ship. It might be too late to get it back on track.

Screw that, the correct metaphor is that they've sunk the ship and are currently advertising undersea tours to see the remains.

I say Obsidian Entertainment deserve better than to having to work on Bethesda's scraps for half the money they should be getting. I know what everyone is hoping for, but at this point I would rather Obsidian's dev team do what they enjoy, not bound by another company to repaint the remains of their own creation.

Once the gaming industry hits a new console generation, maybe this whole corporate cash cow thing will die down and games will be good again, and then we will have the spiritual successor to Fallout everyone is waiting for. Until then, it's less painful to just look the other way and talk about the good games.

Ah, yeah, I understand that completely. Honestly, though I'd love to see Obsidian make a new Fallout game, at the same time, I don't want them to. They already got jipped by Bethesda once with that whole Metacritic debacle, and I don't want to see my 2nd favorite gaming company next to Nintendo working for BGShit again. I really want to see a good Fallout game again, but just like the main lesson Dead Money tries to teach us, I just need to.. "let it go".

Actually does anyone else find it hilarious that they cut Obsidian's profits because New Vegas made an 84 on Metacritic but now Fallout 4 is sitting on an 84 as well? I wish someone would come along and cut Bethesda's profits because of it.

Back