Fallout 4 quest appears to be "heavily inspired" by New Vegas mod

Hassknecht

For hate's sake.
Staff member
Admin
Board Cop oTO
Orderite
Fallout 4 and especially its DLC has been heavily criticised for using ideas very similar to some found in mods, like New Vegas' "RobCo Certified". The workshop DLCs have been under most fire, but apparently even proper quests in Fallout 4 might have been "heavily inspired" by previously existing mods for Fallout 3 and New Vegas.
Those who played the New Vegas quest mod "Autumn Leaves" and Fallout 4's DLC "Far Harbor" might have noticed that there are some peculiar similarities between the mod and the Far Harbor quest "Brain Dead". On ModDB this also didn't go by unnoticed, with a user providing a handy comparison between the two: http://www.moddb.com/mods/autumn-leaves/news/big-publishers-and-a-small-mod/
Both involve new Vaults where the player has to investigate a murder case where the victim is the prime financier of the vault, and all the prime suspects are people who willingly put their brains into robobrain bodies. Both have the option to sleep with one of the suspects, both involve robot interrogation, voice modulators, art discussion, misleading pieces of evidence and a bit more.

The sexytime moment.

If this catches on some more it will likely spark discussions how and if modders and their creations should be protected.
So what's your opinion on this? How should the intellectual properties of modders be protected?

Bethesda's stance on this, btw., is that it's "pure coincidence".
https://twitter.com/DCDeacon/status/753683030682832897
Nothing to see here, folks!

Last edited:
Pfft. Of course it's "pure coincidence." Bethesda can do no wrong, after all.
Bethesda word is law!
then we have people responding to things there like this:
Jesus fucking Christ! It's a fucking coincidence! Bethesda aren't going to go through mods stealing quests from them! They have their own writing team for quests. Bethesda say it's a coincidence, it's a coincidence!
How blind can people be?

To be fair, one of those premises is false. You don't actually have any encounters with Rolland like you do with Gilda, he's just suggesting that because he enjoys making other people uncomfortable.

However the rest are uncanny.

EDIT: If you read the tweets, It seems that Pete Hines seems to have adopted the Bethesdrone attitude of Criticism = Hate. Classic.

"Pure coincidence" so lol.

PS: Using that first screenshot as poof is not free of bullshit either. It's a big empty vault hall... they all look nearly the same. The other screenshots / bits are way more believable.

"Pure coincidence" so lol.

PS: Using that first screenshot as poof is not free of bullshit either. It's a big empty vault hall... they all look nearly the same. The other screenshots / bits are way more believable.
I have very little memories of Fallout 4 these days. A much worst than average memory sometimes is a blessing.
Does all the vaults in FO4 have an open vault hall with a catwalk we can walk on and see the hall? In FO3 they didn't, and I can't really remember how vaults in FO4 are usually designed. :confused:
This is an actual question, I really can't remember. And being a curious person I always ask when I am interested in stuff.

I have very little memories of Fallout 4 these days. A much worst than average memory sometimes is a blessing.
Does all the vaults in FO4 have an open vault hall with a catwalk we can walk on and see the hall? In FO3 they didn't, and I can't really remember how vaults in FO4 are usually designed. :confused:
This is an actual question, I really can't remember. And being a curious person I always ask when I am interested in stuff.

Played the POS for only a few hours, so I have no idea- still, the setup is easily recreated and open areas with catwalk are a thing even in Fo3 / FNV. So that bit *can* actually be a coincidence. The rest... not so much.

There's no way to prevent stuff like this happening is there?

Can't wait for Fallout 4: The Frontier... Ah I mean Fallout 4: The Siege, which will not in anyway rip off anything from Fallout New Vegas: The Frontier at all.

I like how they don't even read the article and just go "LOL Just because it has robots in a vault does not mean it was a stolen idea!", or "Pete Hines say it's a coincidence. So it is a coincidence.".

I have never felt so much hatred for Reddit's Fallout section until now. People downvoting EVERYONE who believes Bethesda stole the mod, some even thinking it's perfectly fine for Bethesda to steal people's ideas just because they own the content of the mod.

It's official. The Fallout fanbase is retarded on the premise of over 51% of it being retarded.

From what I've heard, William Shen is the Lead Designer for Far Harbor. He should be the one we contact about this. Fuck Pete Hines, the guy should just shut the fuck up, and Bethesda should give us Emil and William to contact instead.

Back