Fallout 4 quest appears to be "heavily inspired" by New Vegas mod

They already sort of did this with the Wasteland Workshop DLC. You can capture monsters/enemies and have them fight, after all.

That's more manual, in Pokemon, it's automatic with them pokeballs

I don't know much about Pokemon or Pokemon Go, but as I understand it don't Pokemon games use turn-based combat?

The Pokemon games are RPGS with turn based combat, yes. Pokemon Go is literally just walking around collecting virtual pokemans. Idk about battles.

There are beth fans already asking for Fallout Go.

Well then they should go kts then. I'm already getting annoyed at Pokemon Go, so I think I'd lose it with Fallout Go.

So uh, completely unrelated to the topic but the english translation for Fallout 1.5 just came out and there's no thread for recommending news stories, so yeah.
lywnlXI.png

wuGw4VV.jpg

RZYiIR9.png

Goddamn, this man's a comedic genius, I need to start following Pete Hines' twitter.

Given Bethesda's rigorous devotion to bug testing and fixing, I can already see how this ends. Bethdrones chasing radroaches and super mutants in the middle of interstates, on airport runways, 10 feet away from the edges of rooftops of 30-story buildings, ...

And right before they hit the ground, it bricks their phones.

On side note, anyone here have played both Autumn Leaves and Brain Dead? I don't have Fallout 4 (and will never be), and I'm also too lazy to install the AL mod right now.

Shameful they would do such a thing, and the classic Pete Hines responses. I think at this point the only reason they keep old Petey around is so he can take all the shitstorms and criticisms instead of Todd, Emil and Bethesda.

Bethesda has struck a new low in my book taking off with Autumn Leaves' ideas. I can't understand why they defend these so called "coincidences" but their fans just love to defend every decision they make even if it's a shitty one. Wish there was more of a backlash to be honest.

Pete Hines is just gonna Pete Hines.
petehinesbobblehead.gif

If this catches on some more it will likely spark discussions how and if modders and their creations should be protected.
So what's your opinion on this? How should the intellectual properties of modders be protected?
Unfortunately that is the price (and indirect purpose) of offering the free mod tool. Technically it is for self protection; it allows them not to be held [at virtual knife point] by modders claiming they stole their ideas [ideas they may well have had on their own ~months or years before the modder thought of it; had them and discarded them perhaps]... and yet literally it is in the EULA that anything you make with their tools is theirs if they want it; the modder agrees to this when they install the GECK/CS. The modder doesn't have to use their tool if they don't want to agree to its terms of use; but we all know it's a lot less convenient that way... and they know it too.

** Bottom line: Don't put anything in your mod you can't bear for the developer (or other modders
banghead_zps392c87ef.gif
) to incorporate into theirs (with or without your permission). I don't. I modded usable ladders into "Legend of Grimrock" [1], and was not surprised to see them appear in Grimrock 2. I don't care if they copied it from my [our team's] mod, or developed it separately...(certainly possible, but I know they played the mod). It was just neat to have ladders [fully/officially] supported in the next engine.

IIRC Lexx did a [great] ADV MKII PA suit for FO3; I did one myself...

It's not like we could (or would) complain that Obsidian and Bethesda copied us. They own that armor idea, so it's a given they can use it, but they also own the output of the GECK/CS, so it's no different in that respect. They could have even used the mod assets outright if they actually chose to do so.

Last edited:
Unfortunately that is the price (and indirect purpose) of offering the free mod tool. Technically it is for self protection; it allows them not to be held [at virtual knife point] by modders claiming they stole their ideas [ideas they may well have had on their own ~months or years before the modder thought of it; had them and discarded them perhaps]... and yet literally it is in the EULA that anything you make with their tools is theirs if they want it; the modder agrees to this when they install the GECK/CS. The modder doesn't have to use their tool if they don't want to agree to its terms of use; but we all know it's a lot less convenient that way... and they know it too.

Actually now that I looked at it, an EULA is only enforceable in USA courts if the user is forced to read the terms and somehow acknowledged it (like those little checkboxes saying something like "I have read and agree with the requirements...") before using the software.
This is an example of courts ruling in favor and against the user and why:
In ProCD v. Zeidenberg, the license was ruled enforceable because it was necessary for the customer to assent to the terms of the agreement by clicking on an "I Agree" button in order to install the software. In Specht v. Netscape Communications Corp., however, the licensee was able to download and install the software without first being required to review and positively assent to the terms of the agreement, and so the license was held to be unenforceable.
The thing here is that there is no visible EULA for the Fallout New Vegas GECK being distributed in http://geck.bethsoft.com anymore.
All it requires is the user to download the archived files and place them in the Fallout New Vegas folder and start using the software. It is even a direct download link, it doesn't take us to any page showing any EULA or Terms of Use.
Judging by the previous USA court rulings, if you do not acknowledge that you read the terms in any way, or the terms are not explicit in or with the software, then EULA is void and not lawful.

The only documentation that comes with the GECK files in the download archive is a ReadMe that literally says this:

The Garden of Eden Creation Kit (New Vegas Edition)

Index:
1. General Issues
2. System Requirements

1. General Issues

The Garden of Eden Creation Kit (GECK) allows you to edit and create content
for Fallout: New Vegas.

Fallout: New Vegas is required to create and play content created with
The Garden of Eden Creation Kit.

The New Vegas Edition of GECK is not compatible with Fallout 3.

It is strongly recommended that you have at least 2 GB of RAM to use
the Heightmap Editing feature, and for any world and level building.

Limited user accounts will not be able to use the GECK. You must
have administrative rights.

The GECK will occasionally appear to hang or lock up while
attempting to exit. Wait 5 minutes. If it still hasn't closed, press
CTRL-ALT-DEL and manually END TASK on the application.

Visit http://geck.bethsoft.com for the latest documentation and tutorials, and our
official forums at http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/.

2. System Requirements

-Minimum System Requirements:
* Windows XP/Vista
* 1GB System RAM (XP)/ 2GB System RAM (Vista)
* 2.4 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
* Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 256MB RAM (NVIDIA 6800 or better/ATI X850 or better)

-Recommended System Requirements:
* Intel Core 2 Duo processor
* 2 GB System RAM
* Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 512MB RAM

-Supported Video Card Chipsets:
ATI HD 4800 series
ATI HD 4600 series
ATI HD 3800 series
ATI HD 3600 series
ATI HD 3400 series
ATI HD 2900 series
ATI HD 2600 series
ATI HD 2400 series
ATI X1900 series
ATI X1800 series
ATI X1600 series
ATI X1300 series
ATI X850 series

NVIDIA GeForce 200 series
NVIDIA Geforce 9800 series
NVIDIA Geforce 9600 series
NVIDIA Geforce 8800 series
NVIDIA Geforce 8600 series
NVIDIA Geforce 8500 series
NVIDIA Geforce 8400 series
NVIDIA Geforce 7900 series
NVIDIA Geforce 7800 series
NVIDIA Geforce 7600 series
NVIDIA Geforce 7300 series
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series

VIDEO
-Regardless of your video card, make sure to download the latest drivers from your manufacturer.
So yeah, Bethesda is so lazy they don't even have EULA for the Fallout New Vegas GECK anymore :shrug:.

Last edited:

So, does it mean bethesda shamesly stole the mod and can be sent for a trial?

I wish that was the case, but they have got plenty lawyers and being able to win such case, seems well unlikely.

It is a pity that small fry like the modders can not do anything against them.

The most irritating excuse I've heard from people defending Bethesda is, "Murder mystery in film noir style involving robots? Soooooo unoriginal."

Aside from the fact that the Brain Dead quest took a lot more from Autumn Leaves than just the plot, since when were robots in a murder mystery an overdone premise?

IIRC Lexx did a [great] ADV MKII PA suit for FO3; I did one myself...

It's not like we could (or would) complain that Obsidian and Bethesda copied us. They own that armor idea, so it's a given they can use it, but they also own the output of the GECK/CS, so it's no different in that respect. They could have even used the mod assets outright if they actually chose to do so.

On the other hand, I've added an Enclave emblem on the chest of my armor, which was never seen on any power armor picture ever before. The FNV enclave power armor has the emblem as well--- on exactly the same position. I never got confirmation about it, but I am 100% sure it was inspired by my mod. :>

On the other hand, I've added an Enclave emblem on the chest of my armor, which was never seen on any power armor picture ever before. The FNV enclave power armor has the emblem as well--- on exactly the same position. I never got confirmation about it, but I am 100% certain it was inspired by my mod. :>
And all the Enclave power armor skins now on Nexus also have the Enclave emblem on the chest. Good job on inspiring the canonical 3D style of APA :D

The hell does that even mean? Beth hasn't bothered to create that many new creatures so I don't know how that's gonna work. Even if it would work... its a dumb idea. Unless... Beth wanted to design a couple new creatures for different parts of america.. and give some biology and 'facts' about each creature. But they can hardly be bothered to do either for their games so I vote no.

The hell does that even mean? Beth hasn't bothered to create that many new creatures so I don't know how that's gonna work. Even if it would work... its a dumb idea. Unless... Beth wanted to design a couple new creatures for different parts of america.. and give some biology and 'facts' about each creature. But they can hardly be bothered to do either for their games so I vote no.
In my idea Fallout Go would probably involve "players" running around looking at their phone and finding trash they could collect to craft useless things. Because it is Bethesda and Fallout is all about hoarding junk to craft stuff...

In my idea Fallout Go would probably involve "players" running around looking at their phone and finding trash they could collect to craft useless things. Because it is Bethesda and Fallout *4 is all about hoarding junk to craft stuff...
*Fixed that for you.

I like the concept of finding mutated creatures in my backyard. But for it to be even worth a download there will have to be tons of New creatures (with facts and stuff to go with like the pokedex) and regular updates. I certainly see the appeal of the idea at least in theory. It'd have to be done pretty much exactly like that though.

I like the concept of finding mutated creatures in my backyard. But for it to be even worth a download there will have to be tons of New creatures (with facts and stuff to go with like the pokedex) and regular updates. I certainly see the appeal of the idea at least in theory. It'd have to be done pretty much exactly like that though.
That's too much of writing to ask from guys like Emil or Shan.

Back