Fallout 4 Reviews

• Thread starter Thread starter TorontoReign
  • Start date Start date
IGN Review:

www.ign.com/articles/2015/11/09/fallout-4-review

"After a brief glimpse of pre-war life in Fallout’s familiar-but-strange near-future and a retelling of the events on the day the bombs fell in 2077, we barely have time to get our hands dirty in the post-apocalyptic era before Fallout 4 throws us into a big action moment: You’re given a suit of the big, stompy power armor and a heavy weapon, and put into an intense brawl against the series’ most iconic monster."

"Another major change to personal protection is that Fallout’s distinctive power armor behaves almost like a walking tank that you climb into and out of (with a great Iron Man-style animation as it closes around you) instead of wearing like clothes, and its fuel is a limited resource you have to find in the world. It’s a bold design move that makes these hulks’ appearance on the battlefield feel like a big event. However, since it’s always just a fast-travel away, in practice, having to run and grab it when the going got tough became more of an inconvenience than anything - two loading screens between you and resuming the fight. It also forces you to use fast-travel to conserve fuel, which would mess with a no-fast-travel play style"

"On top of that, loot has been punched up in a very Diablo-style way: even better than the typical spoils of battle and foraging, every so often you’ll come across a Legendary enemy who will drop a uniquely named special weapon or item with a modifier. You might get a pistol that refreshes your action points when executing a critical hit, an arm piece that makes lockpicking easier, a flamethrower that deals extra radiation damage, or any of dozens of others."

"Melee combat is still disappointingly basic, though - real-time hacking and smashing now includes the ability to block and do a heavy strike (similar to Skyrim) but in VATS you aren’t able to target specific body parts, which makes it useless for crippling the limbs of tough enemies."

"A fully voiced male or female protagonist is a first for Fallout, but I frankly don’t feel like it added much beyond the convenience of not having to read as much text when playing from the couch. It doesn’t get in the way, either - performances are fine, if somewhat bland - and would only be objectionable to me if I’d envisioned my character’s voice as something outlandishly different. So it’s successfully unobtrusive, at least."

"Building up rickety shacks, crops, water pumps, power generators, and defenses to create settlements in predefined areas with the finicky build mode interface definitely adds something to fiddle with beyond quests, but my network of towns almost never contributed meaningfully to my adventures other than somewhere to hang my vast collection of looted hats. Part of that is that their higher-level workings, and how they interact with the Leader perks in the Charisma column, aren’t well explained, but it seems that in Bethesda’s drive to make settlements unintrusive to anyone who doesn’t want to bother with them, it ended up making them mostly irrelevant."

"Fallout 4’s performance on both consoles is tolerable, but sometimes disappointing. We’ve seen frequent frame rate slowdowns well below the target of 30 when simply walking around the world, and hitches of a second or more that arise mostly after loading a new save or fast-traveling."

"On all platforms we saw occasional crashes (the auto-save system prevented any major loss of progress), and every so often we hit a side quest that won’t properly begin or end due to scripting bugs"

They gave it a 9.5.....

No one posted this yet, but TIME Magazine posted a 3.5 review on Fallout 4, however I can't post the link for some reason...

Quake 1 and 3, Unreal Tournament 1999, Halo: CE (OG Xbox; PC port is laggy and inconsistent as all hell), Perfect Dark, and Counter-Strike are all also great examples.

Arma?
Never played the game, but I do not care much for realistic shooters.

I don't care much for any shooters.
We get it, you hate shooters. You implied it a thousand time already.

EDIT: You will have to excuse me, I have a headance that has been irritating me for the last 8 hours.

Last edited:
Quake 1 and 3, Unreal Tournament 1999, Halo: CE (OG Xbox; PC port is laggy and inconsistent as all hell), Perfect Dark, and Counter-Strike are all also great examples.

Arma?
Never played the game, but I do not care much for realistic shooters.

I don't care much for any shooters.
We get it, you hate shooters. You implied it a thousand time already.

EDIT: You will have to excuse me, I have a headance that has been irritating me for the last 8 hours.

No worries!

It's probably from shooters.

XD

I'm kind of surprised by how critical the majority of user reviews are on metacritic.
That's what happens when you let the hyped from Fallout 3 and for Fallout 4 die down and take advice from NMA to be more critical on the Fallout series after 2 and New Vegas.

Super Bunnyhop (in my opinion the best current youtube reviewer) posted his review of the new Fallout, and... I think, that it is actually the most fair review of FO4 I've seen to date... https://youtu.be/dejO6aiA7bs

Super Bunnyhop is one of the best content providers on YouTube. He is a very adept writer and at least has a degree in journalism, which is more than I can say for a lot of the blowhards that call themselves "gaming journalists" when really all they amount to is the internet equivalent of a radio shock jock.

His review is pretty much spot on with my 25 hours in Fallout 4. He waits until the end to discuss the disgrace that is the dialogue system.

Super Bunnyhop (in my opinion the best current youtube reviewer) posted his review of the new Fallout, and... I think, that it is actually the most fair review of FO4 I've seen to date... https://youtu.be/dejO6aiA7bs

Super Bunnyhop is one of the best content providers on YouTube. He is a very adept writer and at least has a degree in journalism, which is more than I can say for a lot of the blowhards that call themselves "gaming journalists" when really all they amount to is the internet equivalent of a radio shock jock.

His review is pretty much spot on with my 25 hours in Fallout 4. He waits until the end to discuss the disgrace that is the dialogue system.

Yeah he's fair and knows what he's doing.

I liked this one:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dejO6aiA7bs" target="_blank">

Last edited by a moderator:
Some jackass on YouTube was telling me that this was a mostly positive review. Really because Super BunnyHop sounded more critical of the game then positive.

Back