Fallout 4 Roleplay? (OOC)

1. The characters.
2. The graphics
3. The options for responses, etc.
4. The plot-line (with the institute and choosing a side)
5. It wasn't outrageously difficult like 3 was (still haven't finished 3 because I can't get anywhere)
6. All the available traveling partners
7. The option to build settlements (which helps give you exp points which 3 didn't do so I was better prepared for the wasteland)

And more. These are in no particular order.
Fair enough, if you like those things then that's just fine, I can't say the same myself.

1. I thought the characters were hollow and narrow-minded, they didn't offer anywhere near the amount of choice in dialogue that previous Fallout games offered. I felt Bethesda tried to make up for that by adding more of these average companions to the game - favoring quantity before quality, if you will.

2. The graphics are a step up from Skyrim [obviously, same game engine], although the PC version of FO4 is very much lacking any kind of PC oriented optimization, the User Interface is made for TV sets [consoles] and for viewing 7 feet back on a couch. A good PC UI looks great from up close on a computer monitor about 500-700mm away. Both DarnUI for FO3/FNV and SkyUI for Skyrim accomplish this extremely well - which is what Bethesda could have done IF THEY WANTED TO. The character animation transitions are especially good in FO4, that's something they got right. The texture LOD fade settings are absolutely TRASHED on PC thanks to that lack of optimization - or should I say - the focus on console versions of the game.

3. The options for responses [dialogue/conversations with NPCs] I thought were extremely lacking - the dialogue wheel with only 4 1-3 word responses was a direct shit in the mouth of PC users thanks to the console-itis FO4 suffers from, 4 responses = 4 controller buttons, it's as simple as that - I take that as console users being TOO LAZY to scroll down a list of responses, and the LACK of responses tells me that console users were too lazy or stupid to actually READ the responses. The actual choice is nearly non-existent, all roads lead to Rome kinda deal [WTF Beth?! You suck at writing.] All responses in a given topic with an NPC quest giver basically lead to Yes or No. Even the sarcastic remarks lead to Yes 90% of the time. THAT. IS. NOT. CHOICE.

4. The plot was literally recycled from Fallout 3. There are plenty of memes on that. There are parts I've seen that seem to just be "tacked on" at the last moment. There is no choice in what you can do with the three main factions, you can only join one and kill the other two, previous Fallout games have had a massive amount of choice in what your player character can do with the main quests, although it has been getting progressively limited in the amount of choices - Fallout 4 being the prime example compared to Fallout 1 or 2. I've honestly seen worse stories though thanks to modern Hollywood.

5. Bullet sponge enemies does not a quality Survival mode make. Pathetic AI "leaning out" from non-existent corners in the middle of nowhere? The AI is like something from 2004.

6. I thought the companions were hollow and narrow-minded, they didn't offer anywhere near the amount of choice in dialogue that previous Fallout games offered. I felt Bethesda tried to make up for that by adding more of these average companions to the game - favoring quantity before quality, if you will. Yes, copy/paste of the first point.

7. Minecraft much Bethesda? Just stick to survival in a post-apocalyptic scenario, building homes for the poor comes AFTER your PC has taken over the planet. And yes, Fallout 3 had your player character earning experience points from nearly every single step you took and word you spoke - something which Fallout 4 does IN SPADES - I believe it's less than one hour per level. Gotta keep those narrow-minded kiddies entranced right?! Or they just might go play another [unfortunately better] game like COD or BF or some other MMO that FO4 seems to want to try to imitate.

8. Another settlement needs your help, Evelyn.

You can defend Bethesda all you want, saying the same old rhetoric - "This is the way they are going", "Like it or lump it". I'm gonna kick up a fucking stink about it and get FUCKING ANGRY, CAUSE I'M FUCKING SICK OF PAYING FOR SHIT QUALITY EXPENSIVE FUCKING PRODUCTS FROM GREEDY FUCKING CORPORATIONS!

Sorry fellow n00b, that probably sounded quite mean to you and likely others. But I stand by my words, in no way am I angry at you or anyone else here. If you still want to try and roleplay FO4 then I'm game.

Last edited:
I'd like to see fans of Fallout 4 attempt Fallout and Fallout 2. I can imagine watching them would be both infuriating and educational.

They say they couldn't get anywhere with Fallout 3. What, the molerats were difficult?

The only "difficulty" would be bullet sponges and that's not hard, just annoying and tedious. Not like Bethesda has ever properly balanced their games to begin with.

Ok I can roleplay in Fallout 4 and outside Fallout 4 in the exact same way, so here is my character with his personality and backstory and other info:

Name: Risewild
Alias: The Barbarian
  • Strength----- 9
  • Perception-- 1
  • Endurance-- 9
  • Charisma---- 1
  • Intelligence-- 1
  • Agility--------- 1
  • Luck--------- 6
Backstory:
Risewild was genetically engineered to be a super soldier, an experiment to create the perfect human soldier to be used against China.
He has no parents and was born in a lab before the bombs fell, a super growth experimental program was also used to make Risewild reach adulthood in just 2 years.

The scientists pumped so many drugs and chemicals into him even before he was formed which gave him almost super human strength and endurance, maybe it was due to him being part of the super growth program or the chemical cocktail to make him a super soldier that somehow affected his under developing brain and he came out dumb, short sighted and clumsy... Also due to his violent nature he was hard to control, has explosive temper and no respect for authority (making him impossible to shape into a good soldier).

The scientists didn't want to declare Risewild a failure so they devised a "re-education" program to try and condition him to act as a proper USA soldier should act. Named HOPP (for: Heroic Obedience Patriotic Program), this program worked by "stimulating" the subject's brain with a variety of magnetic, electric and chemical products and then implant fake memories so Risewild could learn how to be a proper soldier without ever had received proper military training.

So the memories were fabricated using a Virtual Reality chamber and if all worked well Risewild would believe he had been trained serving in the army until he got discharged, met a nice woman, married and got a son named Shaun.

After Risewild got those memories implanted he would have to spend some time in cryo sleep so his body and brain would assimilate those memories as real, a fake wife and Shaun (the actual actors who played their part in the virtual reality "memory") were placed in a different cryo sleep chamber so that Risewild once awoken would see them as soon as opening his eyes and his brain would automatically accept the memories and create a love bond between him and the "wife and child", unfortunately the memories got corrupted and distorted by Risewild's brain being pumped with chems and he saw his wife being killed and his son kidnapped instead.

While he sleeps in the cryo chamber his brain starts to reject those fake memories and he realises the scientists were trying to trick him, he knows he was born in a lab and is not a "real" human but an abomination of science, he develops a huge hatred towards scientists and science in general due to all the physical and emotional pain he was put through by all of those experimental programs (physical pain by being injected with chems even before he was born, then by the super growth program. Emotional pain by all the fake memories and the HOPP program).

The bombs fell while he was in the cryo sleep, he slept for hundreds of years and when he wakes up he only has one thing in his mind, expunge anything science related from this world. After he gets out of the vault he realises that something already happened to the world and assumes it must have been scientists and their creations fault that the world is destroyed... Risewild smiles saying to himself that this will make his mission easier.

Personality:
As demonstrated by his backstory Risewild "the Barbarian" hates anything science related, he will enter a totally irrational rage when confronted with scientists, robots, computers (he can't even read since he is too stupid for that), laboratories, energy weapons, Power Armor, etc, and also if anyone mentions those words, uses or tries to make him use any of those things himself.
Risewild makes his mission to destroy anything science related, so he will never help and definitely wants to destroy the following factions: Brotherhood of Steel, The Institute, The Railroad, Atom Cats any other that uses robots, synths, Power Armor, Vertibirds, etc.

Even though he hates science he is actually a nice guy and usually enjoys the gratifying warm fuzzy feeling he gets when he helps those in need, also people treat him much nicer when he helps them and sometimes even stop treating him the dumb fuck he is. So he will always help those in need if they do not fit in the hated categories mentioned before.

Risewild loves using unarmed and melee weapons and never uses ranged weapons unless they are crossbows, he never uses Power Armor unless it is to dump it in the ocean since he can't seem to be able to destroy those by himself.
Risewild also loves the Grognak the Barbarian comic books, even though he can't read he can see the nice pictures of someone that looks like him (long hair, muscular body and mostly shirtless) killing monsters and saving pretty girls.
Risewild likes to collect the Grognak the Barbarian magazines he can find and he will always wear the Grognak's Costume and wield the Grognak's axe he found in the ruins of Hubris Comics.

Last edited:
To be fair, I did find F3 & 4 hard on even Normal.
But at the same time, I think that's because I just couldn't be bothered with them (bear in mind, I did complete F3 on Normal in like 6 hours once without fast travel).
I find 1,2&NV a different type of difficult. Mostly in that I want to better to myself everytime there's a challenge.

Long Story Short
3&4: Why Should I bother?
1,2&NV: How can I do this?

Ok I can roleplay in Fallout 4 and outside Fallout 4 in the exact same way, so here is my character with his personality and backstory and other info:

Name: Risewild
Alias: The Barbarian
  • Strength----- 9
  • Perception-- 1
  • Endurance-- 9
  • Charisma---- 1
  • Intelligence-- 1
  • Agility--------- 1
  • Luck--------- 6
Backstory:
Risewild was genetically engineered to be a super soldier, an experiment to create the perfect human soldier to be used against China.
He has no parents and was born in a lab before the bombs fell, a super growth experimental program was also used to make Risewild reach adulthood in just 2 years.

The scientists pumped so many drugs and chemicals into him even before he was formed which gave him almost super human strength and endurance, maybe it was due to him being part of the super growth program or the chemical cocktail to make him a super soldier that somehow affected his under developing brain and he came out dumb, short sighted and clumsy... Also due to his violent nature he was hard to control, has explosive temper and no respect for authority (making him impossible to shape into a good soldier).

The scientists didn't want to declare Risewild a failure so they devised a "re-education" program to try and condition him to act as a proper USA soldier should act. Named HOPP (for: Heroic Obedience Patriotic Program), this program worked by "stimulating" the subject brain with a variety of magnetic, electric and chemical products and then implant fake memories so Risewild could learn how to be a proper soldier without ever had received proper military training.

So the memories were fabricated using a Virtual Reality chamber and if all worked well Risewild would believe he had been trained serving in the army until he got discharged, met a nice woman, married and got a son named Shaun.

After Risewild got those memories implanted he would have to spend some time in cryo sleep so his body and brain would assimilate those memories as real, a fake wife and Shaun (the actual actors who played their part in the virtual reality "memory") were placed in a different cryo sleep chamber so that Risewild once awoken would see them as soon as opening his eyes and his brain would automatically accept the memories and create a love bond between him and the "wife and child", unfortunately the memories got corrupted and distorted by Risewild's brain being pumped with chems and he saw his wife being killed and his son kidnapped instead.

While he sleeps in the cryo chamber his brain starts to reject those fake memories and he realises the scientists were trying to trick him, he knows he was born in a lab and is not a "real" human but an abomination of science, he develops a huge hatred towards scientists and science in general due to all the physical and emotional pain he was put through by all of those experimental programs (physical pain by being injected with chems even before he was born, then by the super growth program. Emotional pain by all the fake memories and the HOPP program).

The bombs fell while he was in the cryo sleep, he slept for hundreds of years and when he wakes up he only has one thing in his mind, expunge anything science related from this world. After he gets out of the vault he realises that something already happened to the world and assumes it must have been scientists and their creations fault that the world is destroyed... Risewild smiles saying to himself that this will make his mission easier.

Personality:
As demonstrated by his backstory Risewild "the Barbarian" hates anything science related, he will enter a totally irrational rage when confronted with scientists, robots, computers (he can't even read since he is too stupid for that), laboratories, energy weapons, Power Armor, etc, and also if anyone mentions those words, uses or tries to make him use any of those things himself.
Risewild makes his mission to destroy anything science related, so he will never help and definitely wants to destroy the following factions: Brotherhood of Steel, The Institute, The Railroad, Atom Cats any other that uses robots, synths, Power Armor, Vertibirds, etc.

Even though he hates science he is actually a nice guy and usually enjoys the gratifying warm fuzzy feeling he gets when he helps those in need, also people treat him much nicer when he helps them and sometimes even stop treating him a the dumb fuck he is. So he will always help those in need if they do not fit in the hated categories mentioned before.

Risewild loves using unarmed and melee weapons and never uses ranged weapons unless they are crossbows, he never uses Power Armor unless it is to dump it in the ocean since he can't seem to be able to destroy those by himself.
Risewild also loves the Grognak the Barbarian comic books, even though he can't read he can see the nice pictures of someone that looks like him (long hair, muscular body and mostly shirtless) killing monsters and saving pretty girls.
Risewild likes to collect the Grognak the Barbarian magazines he can find and he will always wear the Grognak's Costume and wield the Grognak's axe he found in the ruins of Hubris Comics.
Was that a legit character?

Was that a legit character?
Will be a legit character once all the DLCs are out and very cheap (I didn't buy the Season Pass or the game for that matter, a friend gave it to me as a Christmas present).

By then survival mode will be out of beta, there will be plenty of good mods and I will be able to play the game with all of the DLCs (although to be honest I am not really interested in any of the DLCs already released, but the Automatron will at least add more robots and a small robot related quest for my Barbarian to decimate) and with luck by that time and with mods the game will be able to hold my interest long enough for me to get at least 50-100 hours out of it because I feel really bad that my friend forked so much money to buy me that present and I couldn't play it for very long.

I decided to make that "roleplay character" because since the game seems to push the player into kill things I don't have much freedom to "roleplay" anything else besides a killing machine, but by adopting that backstory I can dismiss the "have a family and save your son" plot, my character is dumb so he will not try to talk to most people (which helps avoid the shallow dialogue system), he will be a "lone wolf" (which helps avoid the mostly boring companions), he will hate pretty much all big factions (which will break the game) probably including the Minutemen since Preston orders our character to "get that laser musket and..." and we all know my character will hate anyone that orders or tells him to use science stuff (energy weapons too).

I will use the crossbow mod made by TrickyVein because I will not use guns and I will need some long range weaponry too, I will use a mod to remove the essential flag from all the essential NPCs (will break the game I am sure) and I will just ignore the main story (I can even say my character suffers from hallucinations from all the chems he got pumped into his brain in the past).

This way I can ignore and dismiss as an hallucination anything that makes no sense for me in the game.

Also I usually play a melee/unarmed character in my Fallout games since Fallout 1, and I have more fun that way than with guns or energy weapons (probably only 1/4 of all of my Fallout games I played were not unarmed/melee oriented characters). :drunk:

No, no, no... You're doing it all wrong. Here's how you're supposed to roleplay in the game:

my name is -explosive artillary interupts so you cant here him- and im in the 44th marine
armored division first company...

No, no, no... You're doing it all wrong. Here's how you're supposed to roleplay in the game:

my name is -explosive artillary interupts so you cant here him- and im in the 44th marine
armored division first company...
BWAHAHAHAHAHA, that was totally unexpected and awesome! Dragonborn for the win!

Hahaha oh my such innocence, that poor casual player had no idea that she/he walked right inside the wretched hive of scum and villainy

Last edited:
Back